308 Euro conversion, flashing light wiring???? | FerrariChat

308 Euro conversion, flashing light wiring????

Discussion in '308/328' started by cmt6891, Dec 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    #1 cmt6891, Dec 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After several days of dismantling, fabricating, fitting, installing and then starting all over again, sevberal times, I have finally completed the front end conversion to Euro spec on my 84 QV. Sorry no deep chin spoiler, driveway won't allow for it and don't want to be concerned about damaging it, so kept the standard valance.

I would like to make the flashing lights work as they were intended for the Euro cars. Is there a way to wire them to operate with the pull of the turn signal stalk??

If not, could they be wired to be operated by the switch for the rear window defogger since I never use that feature? This would obviously make them function as driving lights rather than flashig/passing lights but at least they would work. It appears that this switch lies on its own dedicated 16 amp circuit so it should handle the current??

BTW, all good threads should have pics so here you go
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Yes, I did this on my '78. The headlight stalk was already designed for this feature. IIRC, remove the steering column cover and find the wires to the stalk. There is a unused wire that either is grounded or provides +12 when the stalk is pulled. I also removed my aerial (antenna) switch and replaced to operate the driving lights. So, I can either turn them on with the switch or "flash to pass". I'll post up some pix tomorrow.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Henry
    (805) 813-0508

3. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    The euro cars used 2 relays for this in what looks like an overly complicated circuit. If you compared US/Euro wiring diagrams side by side you could come up with an answer to fit your situation. Myself, I'd add a singe relay.

For Euro and US cars, the 2 wires from the flash switch are light blue.

Euro QV cars, take juice from left fuse G to the armature of the 'Main vs Fog' relay. It gets activated by the 'Flasher' relay etc etc.

US QV cars, the light blue wires go to right fuseblock upper A or B and E or F. 'Or' meaning those two are bussed together and either is the same. With US cars the function is to turn on the high beams if the parking lights are on. Earlier cars it turned on the low beams if the parking was on which is silly. Methinks much of this is a patch, not well thought out.

4. jd359

jd359 Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2004
    S.F. East Bay
    Full Name:
    J.D.
    Very nice, did you modify the stock USA spoiler and enlarge the grill area? How much cutting of the fiberglass, etc did you have to do? Thanks

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T

6. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    No modifications to the car body, that was my intention going into the project. Easy reversal should I sell the car in the future to someone that actally wanted the huge US bumper on the car. I did need to fabricate new mounts for the Euro bumper and the fog lights. Johndahl, Fchat member, sold me a grill he fabricated when converting his own car.

The process was not without frustration but I'm extremely happy with the result. BTW, I also pulled in the rear bumper as well almost 2 inches. That took me only 2 hours.

7. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Are you going to paint the hood louvers body color to complete the Euro look?

8. rolindsay

rolindsay Formula 3

Jul 14, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick Lindsay
    I smile to myself as I read this thread. I removed the flashing lights from my Euro GTB. :p

9. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #9 Neonzapper, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    CMT6891, nice conversion! I can't tell by your pictures if your windshield pillar posts are painted black. I may just be looking at the black rain guards on your 1984 308. For 1983 only, 308 pillars were black. Are you going to change your U.S. version mirrors to euro mirrors?

Ztarum, congrats again on your real euro 308! I'm anxious to see pics.

10. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Sure, that would work fine and give you an idea how effective and useful the fog lights are. Just remember to turn the switch off when exiting the cars as there is no tie to ignition key off.

Then if you find you use them a lot, you can revisit the idea of adding a relay to tie them into the flasher switch (and ignition off). PM me then and I'll make up an easy-to-follow relay instructions for you.

11. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Thanks Paul....I sent you a PM

Neozapper- Thank You....No black pillars since it's a 84QV. Yes I do have the Euro mirrors that I was lucky enough to find earlier in the year. Next project.

Ztarum - No on painting the louvers since I want to keep the conversion reversable. I have been searching for a second set to paint howefver they are way too expensive and the hood louver is very hard to find.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #12 BigTex, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks very nice....

While I have not had the chance to compare them side by side, I think the painted fender louvers are a different part from the black anodized ones...

Be interesting to know.

How much are paintable ones, salvage???

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm probably wrong about that......

*shrugs*

14. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Ouch...that hurts to look at. The lowest price I could find the fender louvers were $600 for the pair.

15. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Which euro bumper did you use, factory or aftermarket fiberglass? Sourced from? What about shock tubes.. did you drill, push & lock in place or use replacemet part?

What method used on the rear to pull in the 2 inches?

Can you tell I'm planning a project? As if I need another!

Your car looks great!

Thx

Paul

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol

17. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    First I ordered a bumper from Eurospares, however for a 2V car. It was injection moulded but would not work with the Euro QV grille, too tall. I sold it and when discussing with Eurospares regarding the QV bumper they told me it was fibreglass and the price is $850 delivered. Forget that! I purchased the bumper from Rennspeed for less than half the cost of the original. A little prep, primer and paint and good to go.

As far as the mounts I fabricated new ones from 1 7/8" aluminum tube to work with the bumper. The hardest part of this project was getting the correct alignment for the mount and bumper.

The rear bumper has a metal spacer between the shock tube and the bumper. Just remove the bolts, remove the spacer. Then I neede to thread the bumper bolts because no threading under where the spacer was. A 10mm x 1.25 die will be needed.

Good luck

18. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    CMT,

Thanks for the feedback..

I've been looking at picking up a grill from Johndahl as well. Very familiar with Rennspeed as thier primary focus is Porsche parts.. had seen the 308 bumper & spoiler but didn't now of anyone who had used it.. now I do.

Thanks for sharing your experience.. yeah, just what I need, another project! :)

Have fun..

Paul