Moving to Florida | FerrariChat

Moving to Florida

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Ferrari0324, Dec 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I've been thinking about a move for awhile now. I quit my job back in June, and finally came to the conclusion that I should stop looking in the NY/NJ area, considering I want to get out of here and don't want to get stuck w/ something else.

I'm 24, and have no real responsibilities here, have the support of my family and friends; so I've decided to take a chance and move there. I'll be moving in w/ a friend for a little bit, until I can get myself grounded. He lives in Lake Worth.

I'm checking out the job market there now, I am not being naive. I realize this is a risk. I just wanted to see if anyone here may know of any companies/associates/friends that are hiring for any position. I'm open for trying anything. Part time or Full time. I would love to have something set up before moving there next month; but if not, so be it.

I appreciate any help/tips. I will provide a resume, if someone says they may be able to help.

2. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I don't think Lake Worth is a good area. Do some homework on the area.

3. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I'm just living with him until I find a job. Then I'll be moving out on my own.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #4 BMW.SauberF1Team, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
    I used to live in Lake Worth as a kid. My family moved to Orlando as the place never really developed and they kept calling it "Lake Worthless." I lived in DC for a couple years and wanted to move back to FL to go to grad school and I'm already regretting it. Jobs are really hard to come by and especially for us (I'm 24 as well) since we don't have as much work experience as others.

I'd suggest you find a job in the DC metro area. Really nice place, but it can be pricey depending on where you want to live (Dupont and Tysons for instance). Better jobs there that don't revolve around tourism...It's also not that far from NY/NJ so you can visit family and friends on a regular basis rather than flying up from FL.

5. htb3

htb3 Formula Junior

May 30, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Dont buy a house there. The town has it's own utility company and it and is outdated and service is always going out. During the hurricanes it took forever for people to get their service restored (over a year in some cases), and their rates are much higher than in areas where Florida Power and Light is the utility provider.

6. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Again, I am only staying with a friend until I find a job. I'm not planning on moving there; I plan on moving close to where ever I find a job.

As for the comments on looking in the DC area. A big part of the reason why I'm going to Fl., is b/c I hate the winter. Staying in the NYC/DC area doesn't resolve that.

7. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    You are 24.....forget Lake Worth. West Palm Beach/Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdale/Aventura, and if you do not mind one of the most exciting international cities, Miami.

I am basing these suggestions on the availability of single women. If that is not your interest, try South Beach.

8. 5800RPM

5800RPM Formula Junior
    Owner

Apr 21, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Be ready for sticker shock on pretty much everything down here. Homes, apartments, utilities etc... are all a lot more expensive than what you are probably used to. Granted homes have fallen sharply in price but that has driven up apartment prices as all those people who lost their homes need to live somewhere.

The job market is also VERY soft here right now. It isn't uncommon for people who are aggressively looking and willing to take just about any job to still have to look for months. If you're less than aggressive and don't make finding a full time job a full time job of its own, you'll be out of work even longer.

Don't get me wrong, there are places down here that are great places to live, but as a younger person looking to get established, you could easily end up pulling your hair out.

9. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #9 climb, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009

For a single 24 yr old Miami is it. To me living at the beach is everything so i couldn't live inland after i'd moved all the way down south. I'm a more laid back fishing surfing kinda guy and Atlantic Beach is perfect for me. If i was still into clubbing and chasing women non-stop Miami would be it.

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Not to be rude, but for the last time... I'm only going to Lake Worth to stay with my friend, until I find a place to live... elsewhere. I'm not really concerned w/ my living arrangements right now, finding a job is more important. I'm not buying anything, only renting. I really only posted this thread, to see if anyone knew of any openings anywhere, or were hiring.

12. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    It will be a challenge to find quality work anywhere in FL. But it will provide character building opportunities. Best wishes.

13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Not compared to NY (Long Island) where I am from, FL is CHEAP in my eyes....

If you wanna stay in the Orlando area, downtown in cool, College Park, Lake Mary, Winter Park....

14. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Funniest line of the month! Another reason to avoid SoBe.

15. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Agreed. I'm more interested in the females.

The job market is pretty much crappy everywhere, so I may as well try for a job in an area I'd rather be, than an area I wouldn't.

16. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    If the job market is so bad and you are not afraid of hard work it sounds like a perfect time to start your own business. Anything from lawn and pool care to delivery services.

17. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    uh, I'm confused. Are people actually saying if you're into girls to avoid southbeach???

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats right, there are no women in SoBe, nothing to look at, Go somewhere else :)

If you want a job in FL I think jobs having to do with foreclosures, bankruptcy, repossesions should be pretty secure for the next few years

19. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    William, stop trying to keep all the beautiful ladies for yourself!