British Grand Prix secured | FerrariChat

British Grand Prix secured

Discussion in 'F1' started by 4rePhill, Dec 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
  2. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Yes just heard it my self. They have signed for 17 years!! Donny droped that ball big time:rolleyes:

3. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Happy Days!!!!

Might book mine soon.

4. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Donny got suckered into a game of chess between Silverstone and Bernie and it cost them dearly!.

Here's what I said in another thread about Donnington back in October:

It's My belief that Donington were suckered into a plan by Bernie to put more leverage on Silverstone, and sadly they fell for it and it's cost them big time. They've lost the Moto GP, They're about to lose F1 and they owe money for the work already carried out.

For years Bernie has threatened to take the race away from Silverstone but it never happened and Silverstone weren't convinced it would happen.

Suddenly Donington came along and Bernie thought: "Right, I'll give the race to Donington, that way I've carried out My threat. There's no chance of them getting it sorted in time so I'll tell Silverstone that the only way to save the British Grand Prix for the future is to improve their facilities, then they can have the race back".

It's a win-win for Bernie. If Donington fail to get themselves sorted in time, well they knew what was required so not Bernies fault.

If Silverstone don't improve their facilities then again, not Bernies fault, He gave them a chance and they didn't want it.

If Silverstone do improve their facilities, Bernie finally gets what he's wanted for all these years and the race is saved.

As for Donington, I think some business men got over ambitous and thought they found a way of making millions for themselves and it's backfired big time. Eventually they'll drop the dream of F1, rebuild the circuit to something like it was and try to get Moto GP back.

I just hope Donnington can be restored to what it was (with some improvements made at the same time) and get the MotoGP back.

At least the British Grand Prix has not been allowed to disappear like so many other races.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And with that I will check out myself.

6. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    +1000000000

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    So is Donington permanently scarred because of the idiots who actually thought they could do business with BE? Or is there money somewhere to complete the project or restore the facility to something like it's previous configuration?

It's almost just as well that Tom Wheatcroft isn't around to see this.

Jack

8. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The circuit had to undergo so many modifications over the years to hold a GP to suit the FIA, that it is a shadow of itself now.

The future layout seems to be another nail in the coffin for what used to be a very high speed track.

It's a high price to pay just to keep a GP in Britain.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #9 4rePhill, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope it isn't permanently scarred and in all honesty,as I have said previously, I hope they get the circuit restored (and updated) and get the MotoGP race back as I believe that's where it belongs.
    At the moment, odd as it may sound, but it feels like the Donnington circuit has been the victim of a motorsport Rape and I feel sorry for the circuit, it deserves to be treated better.

As you say, it's just as well that Tom Wheatcroft isn't around to see this, I think if he was, he would have died of a broken heart.

I'm going to hold fire on criticising the new layout until I see it in action. So long as they don't completely bastardize it like Hockenheim was, then it may be ok, we'll have to wait and see.

But I will say I'm not a fan of some of the changes made to circuits: Hockenheim as mentioned, the bus stop chicane at spa (I much prefer the old one), the final set of corners at catalunya to name a few.

also, I was looking at the original 10Km layout of Monza and have to say I wish they would bring it back!. Road course + banking, that'd sort the men from the boys!:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #10 tifosi12, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Securing Silverstone for the next 17 years is fantastic news.

Also the BRDC will have to spend 60 million on improving the facilities. Thanks Bernie for putting the pressure on these guys and improve the situation for the fans!

Finally the track layout itself will be altered for the better:

Here a shot taken from motorsport-aktuell.com: After Abbey the drivers turn right to a new complex of grandstands and then follow the Moto GP route back towards Brookland. The new grandstands around Maggots will show viewers 2 different parts of the track. Awesome!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks interesting. Do you know if this is another Tilke design or is it Silverstone themselves who came up with it?

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Don't know. Then again the new long straight was part of Moto GP.

I've played that straight in many games (Forza, Need for speed) so it must have been around for a while. Not sure you need a big architect to reconnect the dots. But - hopefully - they're gonna use him to redesign the grandstands and pits area and bring that into the 21st century.

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    “I am happy, Silverstone is happy and we have a British GP for years to come unless they make a mess of it.”

Translated for the greed impaired;
    "Unless I make buckets".

15. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Subtle use of the Janus like picture of Bernie used with the story. Wouldn't want to actually call him two-faced;)

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL yeh..:) not two faced, he has more faces than my parish church clock.

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Whilst that's one way to look at it. I prefer to think that when it comes to personal gain people tend to be less dogmatic and more willing to adapt to a changing reality. ;)

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Bernie is a "diamond geezer!" (and you know how many faces diamonds have! :D )