94 days left -- anyone still betting on USF1? | FerrariChat

94 days left -- anyone still betting on USF1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Dec 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just looked at the calender and there's just 94 days left before the 2010 seaons starts.

When you take out holidays and weekends, it's about 70 actual working days left.

Anyone still thinking that USF1 will actually design, build, and test a car, hire drivers, and organize a team in that little time?

No, I thought not...

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Obviously they can't make it unless there's been a lot of work done already without anyone noticing.
    While I recognize the need for secrecy when it comes to design but I can't see why they'd be hiding all other signs of life, particularly given how they sought so much publicity initially.

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Betting on them making it ...... doubtful, since they can't buy a ready-to-go team. However, I would surmise they'll be back in the news as Fernandes ruled out Jacques as a driver for Lotus yesterday in Monaco, so one would suspect Villeneuve will be chasing the illusive US team once again. It all reads like one big daytime soap opera.

Website at this late date is still coming soon.....pretty soon it will have to read "gone away".

Carol

4. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    As I have stated in other threads, e-mail to the website is not returned or acknowledged, my kids could handle some kind of return message. only 6 weeks to the launch in wherever and then testing. there needs to be some kind of straightline test, driver fitting, crash testing, shipping to Europe in that timeframe..........

5. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

How can they acquire sponsorship without some public buzz about the team and the car?

Heck, by now, I would have expected a loud and very public zoom down Tryon Street in Charlotte while wide-eyed pedestrians looked on.

If they pull this off, and if they have a sponsor, we should elect PW president, because it will be a miracle.

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #6 Crawler, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey, c'mon. They did add a pretty picture at some point...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    OK that convinces me.

8. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    That is what all the guys at computers were doing in the "Pics from inside USF1". Designing a web site, not designing a car.

Pretty doubtful we will see them on the grid. I help out hope as long as I could...

9. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  10. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    #11 Ney, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
    No, but if it doesn't it will be a bit like going to the teacher in front of the whole class and saying "My dog ate my CFD program".

12. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    I can't wait to her PW's excuse as to why they aren't going to be on the grid in 2010.

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Fixed:)

14. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Notice the web site . . . "On TRACK in 2010" (my emphasis).

PW could get a car to the test track in anoter 370 days and that statement would be accurate.

Note he did not say "On the grid in 2010."

15. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Actually Lotus said they will not have a car ready by the launch;
    quote: ' I won't have a car at that time. I could come with a matchbox car' Tony Fernandes said

usf1 - no idea; I'm 50/50 at this point.

16. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Isn't Fia investigating on those new teams or something?

I mean by now they should know whether a team is real or not right?

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Whoa!

You give them a 50% chance of making it? You're an eternal optimist.

They're done. They got nothing and no time left to put anything together even if somebody would deliver a massive check this very minute.

When will they hire the people, when will they build the cars, when will they pass the crash tests, when will they put the cars on track to test them?

The window of opportunity has closed.

The only thing I dont get is that the press is totally ignoring this story.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Next you'll be saying that there ain't no Santa.

19. jmlinmn

jmlinmn Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    MN, AZ, FL
    IF USF1 fails to field cars for the grid this year, which looks likely, I won't revel in it. I'd like to see a USF1 team prosper and generate interest stateside for what is the best open wheel racing in the world...

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #20 tifosi12, Dec 10, 2009
    A Physicists Proof: There is no Santa Claus!

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist (except maybe in Japan) religions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million (according to the population reference bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that comes to 108 million homes, presuming there is at least one good child in each.

Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stocking, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get onto the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purposes of our calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles, not counting bathroom stops or breaks.

This means Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second--3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man made vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second, and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour.

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium sized LEGO set (two pounds), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousands tons, not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that the "flying" reindeer can pull 10 times the normal amount, the job can't be done with eight or even nine of them---Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons, or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).

600,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance-this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would adsorb 14.3 quintillion joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst into flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second, or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.

Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from a dead stop to 650 m.p.s. in .001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,000 g's. A 250 pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force, instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo. Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now.

Have a Merry Christmas!

I realize this has been around the internet for a while. But my point is, that PeeWee is now in a similar situation: If you list all the tasks USF1 has to accomplish to make it to the starting grid with two cars, you run into similar physical impossibilities. Just like Santa, PeeWee's time window is way too short to get it all done.

I won't either because it means PeeWee will be back in his old job doing excrutiatingly boring grid "interviews".

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Someone's getting a lump of coal in their stocking.
    Not to worry though. Santa believes in you:)

Unfortunately for PW even Santa doesn't believe in USF1 ;)

22. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #22 Isobel, Dec 10, 2009
    94 days left? No problem, the engine and chassis have been ready for months, the diffuser is obviously ready, the car is even KERS compatible in case there's a change of heart. Only thing left is for the aerodynamicist(s?) to find a good place to stick some wings. Piece of cake. Okay, so he hasn't exactly bought the car yet, but does he look worried?

I think not.;)

23. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #23 zaevor2000, Dec 10, 2009
    Obviously a disguised spy shot...after all doesn't the livery include toasters on the sides?

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #24 VIZSLA, Dec 10, 2009
  25. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'll play devils advocate on this one - just for kicks. While little has been disclosed by USF1, neither has there been much from the other teams other than Campos, who's Dallara chassis has passed the FIA crash test, which to me makes then the most likely to make the grid at the start of 2010. Of the other 3, other than some driver announcements which don't mean squat, time will tell. However it is my understanding that FIA reps are visiting all the factories on a regular basis to check progress (incl. USF1), which makes a lot of sense given that the Toyota 2010 car and IP is available to someone to buy, but would be made worthless if a slot did not open up as all 26 slots are filled now that Sauber is in. Remember Williams id dead set against 14 teams. Thus if an outfit looked like they would not make it, it would seem the FIA would pull the plug early if a deal was made on the Toyota chassis/IP. Either way, it seems USF1 has just as much chance as any of the other new teams to make it, the fact that we don't see much should not be a big surprise, no one shows anything of their new cars this early.