Hose Replacement | FerrariChat

Hose Replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tr0768, Dec 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Think we will change the cooant hoses on the 1982 400i. Any thoughts or ideas?

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spyder
    2 many brass era cars

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Why the "thumbs down"?

3. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    Do not just pull out the heater hoses.
    I tied the new hoses to the old one with wire to pull the new one through those fenders and other hard to reach places.
    I brought 25 feet of heater hose and it was enough.
    I also had to remove the master cylinder to get at the 'T' fitting behind it.
    The engine hoses are straight forward with no real mystery.

4. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    ya...why?

as Fritz has said...but i don't think you actually need to remove the master.

5. Big N

Big N Karting

Jul 30, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Niall
  6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +1! Howard did say coolant hoses.

Since previously mentioned, heater hoses can be chased thru those difficult areas w/an electrical fish tape as well. I've contemplated the repair/replacement of the heater valves (earlier described as a T) or the distibutor & feel that a sheet of 3/4" plywood slotted to work around the hood struts (or you can just remove the struts altogether)/stiffened by some 2X4 screwed in topsides & mucho padding over the fenders would make the project an enjoyable one.

+1 on not removing the brake booster, it would make access a little easier by removing the throttle linkage assy. & maybe the aux. air valves.

7. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    There are 'T' fittings to split the one line into two for the two heater cores and back again to one return line, the 'T' by the master cylinder is not visable and might be removed with the master cylinder in place but that sounds like asking for trouble. There is only one heater control valve in a relativly easy location behind the engine.
    I am impressed with changing the 'water pump to block' hose in the car, I waited on that one till I did the 50,000 Kilometer engine out service.

8. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Not sure what you mean. I subscribe to the theory that all hoses will fail at sometime and the ones in my 400i are 25+ years old. The main coolant hoses are hard and crunchy to the feel, and are due to fail. Manufactures of new rubber hoses and belts suggest the replacement intervals of 18 months to 2 years. So based on that I'm about 24 years past do.

Being in the automotive service business for over 35 years we constantly preach preventative maintenance, every day to our customers. We strive for our clients to get the optimum return on their automotive investment but doing manufacturer's scheduled preventative services, which include hoses and belts, therfore I would be amiss to not practice what we preach.

Hoses and belts fail due to the enviroment and stress they operate in, the two major issues being heat and internal pressure. A hose or belt can fail due to age and limited mileage. I want this Ferrari to operate at maximum effficiency at all times, As this is my wifes' car, she is the last person on earth I want a phone call from as she sits on the side of the road with a broken belt or blown coolant hose. These preventative measures can make my home life quiet and serene, and that's a good thing right guys?????? A loss of coolant at freeway speeds will be catistrophic in a relative short period of time, hoses and belts are inexpensive insurance in my book.

Howard Musolf
    1981 308gtsi
    1982 400i Cabriolet
    Maserati Spyder

If it don't fit force it, if it breaks it needs to be replaced anyway.