1983 Mondial Cab conv top leak | FerrariChat

1983 Mondial Cab conv top leak

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FF8929, Feb 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #1 FF8929, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    I have a serious water leak at the windshield header seal. Has anyone else had this problem? Will replacing the foam seal, attached to the windshield header, solve the problem, or does it also involve the mating part that is part of the top itself?
    Thanks in advance for your input.

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    Do you adjust the thumb screws on the latches every time you put the top up? What I do is run the latch paddles all the way forward and latch the top. Then I release one latch, and back the adjuster to the stop and re-latch. Now do the other side. This is the only way I know to have a tight seal and still be able to latch the top.
    Dave

3. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

Thanks for the tip.

4. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    I spoke to an upholsterer / top guy a while ago about a similar issue: my top doesn't appear to come seat as far forwards as I think it should. He told me that they can often re-stitch the leading edge of the roof to give it a bit more length.

I haven't done anything about it, since it doesn't actually seem to leak there--as opposed to all the water that dumps in when I open the door. Just a thought if you want to try that route. I also walk the top forward tightening the screws from side to side, and have replaced the toggles with the unbreakable ones available on eBay from another Fchatter.

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Thanks for the mention......
    I havent posted them on EBay for a while now as the demand had dropped off. I cant say they will help with the leak, but they will not break.
    Please let me know if anyone wants a pair.
    Thanks
    - Ron Frohock

6. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Upon closer inspection, I see that my 83 Mondial does not have the adjustable fasteners. It looks to me like the only fix is to replace the rubber seal at the top of the windshield header. $$$$$

7. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    #7 davebdave, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I didn't realise there was a difference. To confirm, here is a picture of the latch and thumb screw on our '92.
    P.S. You can also see Ron's must have toggle (arm) installed on the latch.

dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #8 FF8929, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Nope, no adj. bolt. But, thanks anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W

I don't know early Mondials but those look like Alfa Romeo latches to me. I have heard that some people have used them instead of the $600 ferrari latch. Perhaps someone with an '83 or earlier can confirm.
    Dave

10. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Your right!!! Good eye. I just took the latch off my 78 Alfa Spider, put the two side by side, and but for color and the leather strap, they're exactly the same. From the parts illustration, I believe that what I have is original for 1983. Doesn't help my leak, but the interchangability could sure save a lot of money!

11. sonfield

sonfield Karting

Jul 17, 2008
    Florence, SC
    my entire latch needs replacing..does anyone know of any better deal than $500-700 through parts dealers?

12. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Post #5 above.

Buy them, even if yours have not broken yet - they eventually will.

Cheers

13. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Don't drive your car in the rain and the problem will be solved.

14. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have the same issue with my 89. Like DAK said don't drive in the rain. I got caught by a sudden out of no where deluge this summer and was drivin with a sham wow cloth soakin it all up. Keep a good absorbant cloth under the seat. I have considered the top replacement, as over 20 years the top had shrunk slightly but just enough to create small irritations. +1 on Ron's toggles.

Dave

15. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Well, I guess I've just got to roll the dice and order the seal. For the cost of this thing, it better work and it should install itself!

16. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Well, as I noted earlier, have you checked with a shop to see if the front edge of the roof can be re-stitched. That might make up for shrinkage and give it the add length to move forward all the way against the seal. It sounds as if that seal is an expensive one, and it's condition doesn't matter if the top doesn't meet it properly. I didn't get the impression that re-stitching the front bow was too complicated, perhaps a few hours work. Just another avenue. Good luck.

17. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

The seal ($400.) is original and quite compressed and the top is newer, so I don't think that's the problem. But I do appreciate the suggestion.