308 targa latch rubber nose repair | FerrariChat

308 targa latch rubber nose repair

Discussion in '308/328' started by chairpilot, Mar 8, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #1 chairpilot, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While some of you may be waiting to send Verell the deteriorating rubber on your roof latches for re-casting, I think I may have found a possible nose repair method if your existing rubber is not too bad yet. Mine were just starting to crack & detach from the metal cores. I applied Shoe Goo, a rubber shoe sole repair compound (clear) to the separating areas of the rubber noses and let it cure for 24 hours as directed. I figured if it's good enough to hold up to walking foot traffic and it sticks to rubber, it may be just the thing.

So far it seems tough and adhering well to the old rubber. I first cleaned the rubber with acetone as recommended by the Shoe Goo instructions. I plan to dress the excess goo down with fine sandpaper and then color it black with something (probably a permanent marker, shoe polish or plastic spray paint). I'll let you know how well it holds up under use. I got the Shoe Goo at the local hardware store for $4.99

I also cleaned up the metal with some new semi-gloss paint and black shoe polish on the straps first. Pictures of before and after to date:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fiset

Fiset Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Jay Fiset
    Hey great suggestion, but I am looking to have mine redone but I cannot find the fellow or the post that talks about doing it. I tried searching for Verrell that you referred to but no luck.

Could you steer me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!

Jay

3. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I don't know about how it does on Ferrari targa top pieces (looks good!), but that Shoe Goo is definitely tough stuff on shoes. When I was a young and poor guy determined to play a LOT of tennis I would repair the worn out soles of my tennis shoes with it. By the end of the season almost the entire sole was Shoe Goo, and it worked just fine!

4. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155901

5. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys
    #5 chairpilot, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
    I take my top off and on each time I go for a drive (I keep the top on in the garage to keep the shop grime off the interior) which is about once a week. So far the Shoe-Goo is holding perfect. The pictures do not show the fact the clear Shope Goo actually looks black when cured and is hardly noticable.

Verell's process is excellent, especially if your rubber is totally gone. But if you just have a small detachment or void, the Shoe-Goo method will hold things together.

Bob