Stephen King Pays for Troop's Trip | FerrariChat

Stephen King Pays for Troop's Trip

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mseals, Dec 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Kudo's to the Kings...

From the Washington Times December 14, 2009 Pg. 10

Stephen King Pays For Troops' Trip

BANGOR, ME --Author Stephen King and his wife are donating money so 150 soldiers from the Maine Army National Guard can come home for the holidays.

Mr. King and his wife, Tabitha, who live in Bangor, are paying almost $13,000 toward the cost of two bus trips so that members of the 3rd Battalion, 172nd Infantry Unit can travel from Camp Atterbury in Indiana to Maine for Christmas. The soldiers left Maine last week for training at Camp Atterbury. They are scheduled to depart for Afghanistan in January.

Julie Eugley, one of Mr. King's personal assistants, told the Bangor Daily News that the Kings were approached about giving $13,000. Mr. King thought the number 13 was a bit unlucky, so the couple pitched in $12,999 instead. Miss Eugley chipped in $1 to make an even $13,000

Mike in Kuwait

2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive never met Tabitha but Stephen is one of the most generous down to earth kind people you can ever meet.

3. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Stephen King can go **** himself. He is as far left wing as you can get. This is clearly little more then a PR stunt. I'm reminded of his earlier comments. He clearly is not donating out of his love for the troops.

4. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
  5. Cozmic_Kid

Cozmic_Kid F1 Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    B. Frandsen
    Not to forget he wrote the bible. :)

6. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    You CAN love the troops but hate the mission.....Isn't that what your jesus tells you about how to treat sinners?

7. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    Wait, why was a donation required?
    These enlisted servicemen would have otherwise been made to spend holidays on base? Does the governmnet not finance something so simple as a bus ride home for christmas?
    I'm sorry, while it's heartwarming to see people donating their money to help out our servicemen, it's the GOVERNMENT'S JOB to do this. That's where I'd want my taxes to go. Not the F-22 Raptor program.

8. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    #8 sailquik, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Stephen King has to be one of the most fascinating guys around, would be interesting to speak to him. And he seems to have a great sense of humor.

I remember seeing an interview once where he jokingly said something along the lines of: "What people don't realize is I have the heart of a twelve year old" ....long pause.... "in a jar on top of my desk."

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Grow up and give something from yourself.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

And your point is?????
    My point is who in the hell cares? Is loving the troops a pre requisit for helping? Are you old enough to post here?

11. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    He clearly states people should get an education so they wouldnt end up in the military. I think its pretty safe to say he doesnt give a damn about those in the service and this is little more then a PR stunt. Again, **** him. Oh and I give far more than my fair share, thanks though.

12. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Stephen King doesnt need a PR stunt.

13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Thats pretty good advise.

14. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Those troops are on a temporary assignment to another military post until they are deployed to Afghanistan. It is not the Govts. job to provide transportation back to their home unit for a few days over the holidays. Anyone who has ever served in the military knows this.

15. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    If it was truly sincere, we would have never read about it. He has put himself over. . ..

16. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Stephen King IS a PR stunt!

I knew a guy in college who grew up down the street from him and said he's super cool. Although Halloween as a kid was a bit traumatizing :)

17. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Fair share is a very subjective item. If I had to bet, you gave less in the entire last year, than King did in this one instance. We can disagree about our politics, but we learned in my era, that you don't beat up those people serving our country. I wore a uniform them, and it wasn't pleasant. I am definitely against the last war, but most certainly in favor of doing the right thing by those that serve. King did the right thing and probably for the right reasons.

Debasing someone who give to help our troops is immature, and points out that immaturity in you.

Art

18. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive met him but moreso I have sevarl friends that are very good friends with him and I have never heard a single negative thing.

Plus his books are an integral part of my childhood.

19. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

He actually lives around here in the winter months. Haven't bumped into him anywhere, but I was a big SK fan growing up. BIG.

RMX

20. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Typical Fchat thread---User posts a nice thread about someone doing a nice thing and other users bash the person....Unbelievable....

21. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I lived in Bangor for awhile and ran into him on a few occasions in local greasy spoons. He always drove a beatup pickup. He spoke at a friends Graduation in jeans and a t-shirt. He gives a lot of money to Bangor. He even filmed a LAX airport scene at the Bangor Airport. This donation is but one of many he has given back to his community. Great guy, and I have also never heard a negative thing about him.
    Dave

22. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I have been to Bangor once (great place BTW) and went past SKs house anyone with that amount of money and fame that has his door right on the street shows that he has never forgotten his roots, as for the money? well if it was a PR stunt so what I bet the homeward bound troops could not care less and at the end of the day it's his money and he did not have to give. I say good on him.

23. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Dead silence from him here. Wonder why?

Art

24. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Yeah, i'm pretty sure the thread wasn't titled "what's your opinion of SK".

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's very nice of them, good going Mr. and Mrs. King. :D

Incidentally, I just read my first ever Stephen King book the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. My fiancée had decided I needed some evening reading that wasn't printed from a pdf these days and picked it up for me. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.