iPhone users are delusional, consultants say | FerrariChat

iPhone users are delusional, consultants say

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TestShoot, Dec 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    They liken the users to Scientologists and Stockholm Syndrome patients.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10414356-71.html

http://www.strandreports.com/sw3896.asp
    I don't know I agree with #6, 8

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #2 TheMayor, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    My beef with Apple is that the constantly claim that what they do has never been done before when, in fact, it has been done but theirs is a bit better, a bit sexier, and a lot more expensive.

The Appleheads love them so no one questions them. You would think they invented the Mp3 player but they were one of the last to enter the market. You would think they were the first to introduce a smart phone but they were far behind others. The latest S model finally shoots video. "WOW". The wow is for what took them so long.

They have screwed up though. The Itouch is a lousy game device. The Shuffle was a lousy MP3 player. They are not "perfect".

Sex sells. That's why Apple's consumer electronic products exists.

3. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I have to find the report that said iPhone is the preferred device of the poor. 80% of the customers below the US poverty line (that have a mobile phone) have this phone. WSJ had some mention of it too PC Advisor UK says similar. Those are huge numbers to put up in sales terms and they can blame lots of network issues on oversaturation.

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Funny you mention this. I know at least a half dozen people who are broke, or facing foreclosure, or are on food stamps who have an iPhone. This just proves my theory.

RMX

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Uh, wrong.

6. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #6 wingfeather, Dec 14, 2009
    I would say that many, but not all, iPhone (and Apple customers in general) are delusional. They refuse to see other points of view, and go psycho when you challenge their concepts of reality. As stated in above posts, they drank the kool-aid telling them that Apple invented the mouse... touch screen... windows... mp3 players...

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's why it was listed under iphone myths. ;)

8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If it makes the users happy, why does anyone else care?

I use an Iphone. It's decent at what it does, isn't the bee's knees on anything in particular. Apple is really good at UI development, and that's what wins customers.

If you want to use a HTC or Samsung or whatever, go for it.

9. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    It's a function of Steve's "Reality Distortion Field". From Wikipedia:

:D Even the haters must admit the guy is good! And, in fairness, *Apple* typically doesn't make the crazy claims but rather their (sometimes blinkered) user base.

However, returning to topic, I'd be interested to know who funded the research?

From the comments in the article:

;)

I think this guy offers a *reasonable* counterpoint:

My emphasis added as that's exactly my feelings on *all* of their products.

As to the "myths", I haven't verified the guys comments, but again they seem reasonable.... Wasn't there a post here a while back showing a surprisingly high # of Fchat visitors were coming from the iPhone? - I don't think many here are on the poverty line.....[Any mods around?] - Although, I do agree that there do seem to be many "poor" people touting state-of-the-art gizmos, not just iPhones.

Having said all that, I'm with Tillman here - "If it works for you, great!"

[Dons flamesuit in expectation of once again being called a fanboy ;)]

Cheers,
    Ian

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I do agree with you on that.

I mean when you can get people to buy multiple ipods within a year or so of each other, even if there isn't anything wrong with their current player is good. People shelling out $600 for a new phone, then when the next phone comes out with more memory buying it again in such short a time frame still boggles my mind.

11. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Alot of the technologies are made user friendly by apple in a way no other company does to the same degree. It's not hard to imagine that many of these users believe apple created the technologies their using since they couldn't figure out how to use them on devices from other companies.

I'm too cheap to buy apple's products but the ipods and laptops i've bought as gifts work much better than the products i own for myself. Bought a new ipod touch last week (for the girlfriend) and found it to work easily with just my thumb and found it to be very intuitive and easy to navigate and get working.

I love apple's stuff but agree that some users are cult-like.

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    For me an expensive phone is just out of the question since i always get them wet or drop them etc.

I look at phones like i do sunglasses..cheap is best, if you break it you can replace easily.

Don't get used to all those fancy touch screens and apps and you'll never miss not having them.

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I want a phone durable enough to survive me jumping out of a second story window when my girlfriend's father gets home and sees my car in the driveway.

14. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    I used to have an iPhone, but I got rid of it. My beef isn't really with the iPhone itself, but the way it's marketed.

When the iPhone 3GS came out, Apple's advertising campaign was essentially based around Voice Control and the fact it shoots video. These two features are something that should have just been included with the first phone; it was amazing the iPhone 2G came out without them!

The only real problem with the iPhone is that it's a great device/toy but a horrible phone.

15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Sounds like sour grapes and the Apple haters are just as silly and annoying as the apple fanatics.

I have an iphone. i resisted getting one because i dont like the lack of a proper keypad but ultimately it was the phone that best suited my needs.

What Apple, as a company, is the best at, is not marketing. Its creating a product that appeals to those who dont care about tech and just want a simple, easy to use device that works like their microwave.

Thats why I have Macs and an iphone. I dont need to know anything about how they work to use them.

16. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I would say the opposite - that Apple is best at marketing.

And yes Iceburns, video/voice control/etc should have been included in version 1. This is where the marketing comes in... they knew people would re-buy next year if they kept it out.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

No doubt. No argument from me there.

However, their products also appeal to me, and I care very much about tech - "Simple" seems like a good thing to me...... As long as it works reliably, isn't that a "bonus"?

Cheers,
    Ian

18. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Wow it's weird how people get heated up over some things.. either for *or* against.

I personally don't care if anyone "invented" anything or not.. 51st to market with a feature, or "last" on the market etc.

I DO care if something works like it's meant to, makes your life just that tad easier, more fun, more pleasant, more able etc.

I have had more Nokias can count but I think the iPhone is a top thing, and am sure others are also very good..

I have Mac, Linux and Windows PC and use them all.. I am no "fanboy" except for what works for me really.

btw: I also develop software for the iPhone and will do for the other platforms once they gain market and mindshare.

I personally think Apple have done a great job of combining features together, extending it with apps, and embedding in an "ecosystem" of Mobile Me, Sync etc etc

I look forward to this spurring others onto to do well too and I think everyone benefits.

I just don't get why some people get all heated up over this, and worse, insult others for their choices and favourites at the time, whatever that may be!

Peace :)

19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its a primal tribal thing ingrained in them and they havent been able to shake it.

20. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #20 TestShoot, Dec 14, 2009
    Aside from the parts of "they should have included this feature" what marketing types call the +1's because you will always be that one feature away from pleasing them all. A lot of the drawbacks have to do with relearning a GUI and of course dropping calls like Mike Tyson dropped boxers in the 80's, which is a combination of hardware and the service provider. It is pretty, works well enough to the general public, but not a power-user. Yet I love my Macs.

21. Asian1118

Asian1118 F1 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Shelby twp
    Full Name:
    James
    One of my friends has one and she had to go back 6 times in the past month to get her phone replaced.

She keeps telling me the customer service is great they keep giving me a new phone no questions asked. I keep telling her they shouldn't break in the first place. :)

22. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    BINGO!!

While most companies make the average non-tech person deal with conflict errors, downloading updates and hardware/software conflict kinda crap Apple makes the devices and technology like an appliance. Turn it on, push a few buttons, search through a few intuitive menus and your up and running.

The closest thing your gonna get to the ease of use of your toaster or microwave is an Apple product.

23. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The iPhone is a great phone.

The only thing that irks me is when people who really know nothing about technology talk about it like it's the best phone ever invented and is so far ahead of anything else, yet they really have no clue what they are talking about.

It's equally annoying to me when you meet that ignorant redneck who thinks a Corvette is the best car in the world. He knows nothing about Ferraris or Lambos or BMW's or Astons, but in his redneck world, a Corvette is the absolute top of the food chain.

Again, the iPhone is a great phone, with some shortcomings. It's shortcomings are severe enough that for me, it simply wouldn't have the features and power necessary to do what I want to do with a phone, but for 90% of people who don't know about the tech, it's the best phone ever :)

24. PlaneGuy

PlaneGuy Rookie

Oct 29, 2009
    my small contribution to this thread.... I will try out the iPhone when it's available on the Verizon network... Blackberry for me until then.

I have two or three coworkers with iphones, it is puzzling how devoted they are to them even though they need to borrow my BB when they need data service out in the middle of no where.

25. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep, that's one of the acknowledged "shortcomings". For sure, the Verizon network has more coverage when measured in "square miles". So for sure, if you spend much time in "the middle of nowhere", AT&T (regardless of phone) isn't going to be your choice.

I guess I'm fortunate - I've only very, very rarely had difficulty finding either wi-fi or 3G in the places I'm at regularly. I can't even remember the last time I dropped a call - "Unintentionally" at least ;)

Cheers,
    Ian