308/328/Mondial Carbon Fiber Air Inlet Tubes by Carbonio | FerrariChat

308/328/Mondial Carbon Fiber Air Inlet Tubes by Carbonio

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Nuvolari, Dec 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #1 Nuvolari, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

As a new sponsor to F-Chat but longtime poster I thought I'd introduce 308, 328, and Mondial owners to a product we have for your car. It is a carbon fiber replacement inlet tube for the OEM corrugated piece. The kit includes everything you need for installation and the whole thing installs in about 10 minutes.

$149 USD

I have attached some photos but more information is available at:

http://www.carbonio.com/performance/brand/ferrari/inlet_tube.html

Also you can order online here (and this product qualifies for free shipping to the US and Canada):

http://www.carboniodirect.com/Ferrari_Inlet_Tube_p/fer-int3x8.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #2 mike996, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    IMHO Carbon Fibre just doesn't look right in a 3x8 engine compartment but it looks like a nice piece. I used a lot of CF on my two Ducati's (900SS and 996) but somehow it clashes with the 3x8 to my eyes. I can't explain why exactly and perhaps I'm the only person who feels that way. It seems right to me on late model Ferraris but not on these. But again, it looks like a nice piece of kit and I'm sure plenty of folks will like the look.

This just added after looking at the site...I note you state it enhances airflow. What sort of measurements were made to determine this and what was the difference in engine airflow between the oem hose and the carbon pipe?

3. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 JV's89, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    I like the look. The car in the photo has to have the cleanest engine compartment I've seen.

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    The opinion of carbon fiber or not in the engine compartment of an older Ferrari really is up to personal preference. With the number of people modifying these cars the carbon will certainly offer the modern look.

As for the airflow I do not have any specific numbers. Increase of airflow is a for sure given that one is a round smooth pipe while the other is a corrugated tube. For this reason we make no specific claims rather we indicate that airflow is increased.

Actually this has been quite a popular item with the 308/328/Mondial crowd so it is nice to be able to now offer it officially as an F-Chat sponsor.

5. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I purchased the carbon fiber inlet tube for my 328 and I have recieved nothing but compliments about it's looks.
    The original "drier tube" was looking a bit sad and this was the way to go...
    The service/tech help was superb from Carbonio.
    My Grand Sport has alot of carbon fiber parts and the look of the material alone says that there is something different about it even to non car types.

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "Increase of airflow is a for sure given that one is a round smooth pipe while the other is a corrugated tube. For this reason we make no specific claims rather we indicate that airflow is increased"

I've professionally built/worked on performance engines and done a ton of dyno testing all my life and I can't agree with the last part of that statement. Whether or not the intake tube CAN provide more air than the oem hose is of no consequence if the oem hose provides all the air that the engine can use. If the oem hose can provide what the engine needs, airflow is not increased.

Let's say the CFM airflow of the engine at max HP is around 550CFM which would be about right for a 3x8 engine. IF the oem hose can flow that rate then the engine will make it's max power. Putting on a hose that will flow 700 CFM or 800CFM or 10,000 CFM will do nothing.

I certainly agree that a corrugated hose cannot ultimately flow as much air as the same diameter smooth hose/pipe but the question is DOES the oem hose flow all the air the engine needs? Based on it's size and and the engine's requirements, I suspect it does rather easily but I have no dyno or track data to prove that. So somebody ought to test it! I no longer work in the business with free access to dynos but it's the kind of thing we used to test during "off hours" quite a bit...with results that contradict the vast majority of bolt-on performance part claims.

But in any case, as I said, it's a nice looking piece and obviously I'm in the minority re carbon fibre on these cars! :)

7. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    +1 on the not too pleasing to the eye. It's a great piece, don't get me wrong, but like Mike said, it looks better on the newer Ferraris. Maybe if we have a CF airbox, CF sills, CF this or that, then it would look right at home.

I personally like the original or an aluminum version better.

Ace

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    On my '81 Marrone Met 308 it looks terrific. I was alittle concerned about the probable "newish" look it would impart too but with a darker color car it seems to be right at home. I was VERY pleasently surprised.

Also had a little issue getting it to me and the guys in the Customer Service Dept were just OUTSTANDING !!!!! Kudos !

An Annodized Black Aluminum tube MIGHT be a good offer idea ..... Just sayin'
    [Pat Pending] :D