Trading in my 308 QV | FerrariChat

Trading in my 308 QV

Discussion in '308/328' started by ferrari_rich, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Trading in my 308 QV

Well, after 4 years and many happy and exhilarating drives, I will be trading in my 308 QV on (I'm almost embarrassed to say) a new Nissan 370Z.

Drove the 370Z last week and was very impressed, made the Porsche Cayman I tested last month look silly. I did NOT test the Cayman S, which is a better comparison to the 370Z (same horsepower and 0-60 times)

So, it will be sad to see the 308 leave but I had my fun with it. I took part in several exciting rallies, got to meet Nicole Kidman and Jack Black (the car was used in the making of the movie "Margot at the Wedding"), and also met some very nice fellow Ferrari owner's, all because of owning this car. And also to have known that I have owned and driven an ICON in the motoring world. I'm grateful and appreciative.

She is a car that will live long in my memories.

2. veloce33

veloce33 Karting

Feb 4, 2009
    Vandalia, OH
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hobbs
    Good luck with the Nissan, I'm sure you'll love the car, and that it will out perform your QV in every measurable way. That being said, you will probably get out of the 308 for around what you paid for it. I doubt you will be able to claim the same about the 370Z in four years time.

3. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    You'll be back.....

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Doubt you'll meet any celebs. with the 370:D

5. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sorry to see you leaving the fold. And sorry to hear the QV is being traded in rather than sold to a Ferrarista. But times are not great for selling 308s, so trade in is understandable. How about posting a pic or two of the 308 as a fairwell, and then post one of the new ride when you get it??

6. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    A Nissan 370Z? ugh, just buy a video game with a 370Z loaded into it, I guarantee it will be the same experience. To each his own I guess. Have fun!

7. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I've enjoyed my 350z for almost 7 years, so I'm sure you will love your new 370, which is light years ahead in every way. I wish I was trading my z (though I still love it and will keep it for many more years) for the 308, but I use my 350 in all seasons here in Chicago and I can't afford both. Enjoy the new ride!

What color are you getting? My 350z is Blue and 7 years later I still enjoy looking at it!

8. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #8 tommott77, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    If there were any other viable options that would make the transaction happen sans trading in the 308 I would most definitely entertain them. It would be a shame to sell the 308 at the absolute worst marketplace (trade in at the dealer), at the absolute worst market time (the value of 308s bottomed out a long time ago and with current economic conditions we have reached another low point in the curve), to obtain an asset that is going to rapidly depreciate over the near future.

9. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    And when Alonzo and Massa finish 1-2 at Monza next summer, you can celebrate the Ferrari 1-2 victory by taking your Z for a spin around town...

IMHO

Joe

10. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    If that's what makes you happy...good luck with the Nissan.

However, even though the Datsun is objectively a superior car, IMO you will miss the Ferrari and regret selling it eventually.

Just make sure that it's what you really want.

11. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    your fricken nuts!

There, I said it....others were thinking it, but I said it (LOL) :) :) :)

12. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    F ing Oath.
    I cant believe u r going to do this.
    Yr crazy, dumb, an idiot, etc etc (no offence but its true)
    KEEP THE FERRARI for FERRARI's SAKE

13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have to say this. You are *really* going to kick yourself regarding your toy car fund in 5-10 years when you go to dump that 370Z. Resale value is going to kill you like any other Nissan or the like.

14. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    Why start this thread in the first place.
    Ive got better things to do than try and convince a total STORTO to not trade his 308
    on a piece of merda.

15. ferrari 512 tr

ferrari 512 tr F1 Rookie

Nov 16, 2008
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Paolo
    before this bloke trades the 308 someone offer him 10 grand.
    he will probably take it as its OBVIOUS he has absolutely no idea.

16. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #16 ferrari_rich, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah, I know all this etc. I am sad. But, I'm also excited to have a car that out performs the 308, AND I can just get in and drive without any concerns.

I was always hesitant to put too many miles on the 308, as I had gotten it with only 14,700 original miles, and wanted to keep them low. And I never drove it in the rain

Trade in is also just the easy way to do it. I didn't want to hassle with trying to sell it myself.

So, I do apologize to all whom I've offended. I still love my Ferrari

And, I personally think that the 308 will soon appreciate in a big way. The iconic lines, awesome sound, nimble, and oh yeah, a manual gate shift and a clutch pedal (remember those?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    What is all the brow beating for? He says he wants to try something else and will miss the car. After 4 years of vintage car ownership, he probably wants to try a few years of problem free, warrantied ownership. Maybe the car has led him to want a sports car as a daily driver, at which point he is making the correct choice. If he misses it, he will come back and if not....so what. He's not bad mouthing his experience.

18. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    Is this a new way of advertising your car for sale that I've never seen before?

If so, congratulations are in order :)

I'm at a loss, as I'm sure you can do lots better on a sale than trade-in when it comes to classic cars unless they know what it is and are being somewhat fair.

I bought my 85 308QV back in March of 08 from a Mercedes Benz dealer about 1.5hrs away. They had it advertised for $39,995, I called and they said they would sell it for $35K even, not a bad price for a one-owner original paint 30K mile car back then, so I went for it.

I got in touch with the original owner to get some more info on the car and he graciously provided me with the records as well. In the conversation, he asked if I minded saying how much I paid for the car since he had traded it in on an ML (He was in his 80s, so I have to assume comfort and ingress/egress had something to do with it; I'm very astute like that).

I fessed up that I paid $35K for it. He grunted and said: "Well, I guess they did OK on that one. They gave me $22K on the trade-in"

I would have gladly paid him $25K :)

Take a week or two and lowball the market, I guarantee it'll move for more that you're gonna get.

19. ferrari_rich

ferrari_rich Karting

Oct 1, 2006
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thanks, Doug

If I had held on to EVERY car I've owned (29-30), I';d need a warehouse to store them in.

Like I said before, I feel privilaged to have owned a Ferrari, and maybe I wiill be back (512 BB would be nice!)

And also, a "world class" road trip is planned A return to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. What an awesome drive that is!!!! That's something I wouldn't really want do with the 308.

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I feel your reasoning. The 308 thing is undoubtedly a different experience and with a car with such low miles I might feel quircky about driving it a ton. No worries at all with a modern car.

I am with redline and him recommending you stick it on the market your own for a week just to see who bites. The dealers are always going to try and hose a person.

21. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Have you come to a fair agreement on trade in value? If you are happy with what they are going to give you, I understand your desire. I've seen low priced F-cars sit for months. I picked up mine at a great price, had been for sale for 6 months. You're probably doing the right thing. There aren't too many of us here that would purchase one of these cars without a look over and a full PPI and who wants to wait on that if we're ready to move on. Congrats on having done it and having the memories to take with you.

22. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #22 tommott77, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    Do yourself a favor. When the dealer gives you the trade-in value, which I bet will be in the upper teen$ to lower twentie$, post the price here and see if someone is willing to beat it. Could be a win/win for everybody.

Again though, I would consider where you are going to be down the road value wise with the 308 vs the Z. It would be a hell of a lot less of a financial kick in the pants to trade up to the 512 with the 308 versus the Z.

23. targanero

targanero Formula 3

May 31, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Simon
    It's amusing that people keep bringing up resale value. Anyone who bought their 308 with resale in mind is missing the whole point by a huge degree to begin with. Ferrari-rich obviously bought his ferrari without that in mind and is doing the same going forward with the 370z trade/purchase. Sadly, some of the replies in this thread only lend further credence to the stereotype that ferrari owners are overly concerned with mileage and resale value.

24. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I don't blame you for getting rid of that archaic 308. But rather than buying the Nissan, you should trade up to a 328. That way you would still be cool instead of just an owner of another Japanese - (yawn, how boring) - car. ;)

25. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Don't trade it in. DON'T. Have you looked at leasing a 370z?