Borrani restoration | FerrariChat

Borrani restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Other than Dayton Wirewheel, does anyone have suggestions for the restoration of the Borranis off my Ghibli? thanx steve

2. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    What are you looking for

price or quality ?

Stamp restorations?
    Spokes?

I sure the answer is both.

Precision Wire Wheels
    714 South 57th Street
    Quincy, Illinois 62305

3. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    What happened with Dayton? I had good results with them in the past.

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I was thinking of using them (Dayton). They did an excellent job on the 3 eared "knock offs" from my GTC. thanx for the info. steve

5. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I have not seen the work of Dayton, but there must be a good reason why Cork at Precision wire wheel gets wheels from all over the world to restore. He not only does great work but is a super nice person. I would give him the business before anyone else.

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I sent Cork some spinners, and the work was great. + he is a heck of a nice guy.
    Regards, Alberto

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    agree about cork. if you're gonna give a chunk of change to someone, it's nice to deal w/ a nice guy.
    ed

8. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I also recommend Corks's work, second to none.

9. michael bayer

michael bayer Formula 3

Aug 4, 2004
    A third for Cork, he has done three sets of wheels for me the work was terrific one of the wheels was truely brought back from dead. And he is one really nice guy M

10. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    At the risk of this sounding like a broken record I also agree with the referrals to Cork. Couldn't be a nicer man and his work is excellent. Very refreshing in today's world.

11. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    Geez, I hope Cork doesn't sell new wheels, I'd feel terrible after all these rave reviews!

I purchased a set of four (4) 15 x 6 painted AC Cobra wheels from Dayton this afternoon.

They're for my '57 100/6 two-seater.

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I spoke with Cork about 15 minutes today and just a really nice guy, as was David Adler at Motospot and Bob Gates in Colorado. My wheels are steel, not aluminum, and that makes the chromeplating a problem...re: expensive. Dayton was nearly $200 less per wheel and since the car is a driver and no where near concours, I think using them makes the most sense. I hope to get them out this weekend. thanx everyone. steve

13. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    BTW: Two years ago Dayton did the "knock off" spinners from my 330 GTC and did an excellent job, in about half the time they quoted. s

14. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    If re-chroming is required (especially spokes!) make absolutely sure that they know the proper procedure to do so in order to avoid hydrogen embrittlement.

15. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    #15 shaughnessy, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    hit the nail right on the head!

So price WINS!!

Best of my knowledge Dayton uses a different spoke, not Buchanan spokes.
    There is an angle issue at the base of the wheel, unsure of actual spoke diameter or material composition.
    They work, they will be pretty, but finished product is weaker. Ghibli are heavy cars.

Weaker wheels on a heavy car at a cheaper price! Wahoo!

16. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Tom - I have never had my wheels rebuilt but I was told that some rebuilders use stainless steel spokes while others are chromed steel.
    Can you shed any light on this? Advantages or disadvantages of either?

THANKS, Bob Z.

17. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    http://tawvehicle.com/borrani.php

These guys have made wheels for me for my P 3/4, 412P, Dino Competizione, and 002.

They also rebuild Borrani wheels and are an authorised Borrani dealer.

They also sell proper KO's including "Rudge".

Ted is a good guy.

Mention my name.

18. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    #18 246tasman, Dec 18, 2009
    I have just taken over a company in UK who rebuild Borranis as well producing their own alloy rimmed competition wheels (Turrino), and all other types of non-motorcycle spoked wheels

They have used stainless butted (ie larger diameter at the hub end where the spoke is bent) spokes for over 25 years and have found them superior to chromed spokes. Use of the correct grade of stainless is vital, as is the use of rolled rather than cut threads.

The biggest problem with chromed spokes (assuming proper heat treatment to deal with embrittlement) is that when the spoke flexes there is a tendency for hairline cracks to appear in the chrome coating. Moisture can then enter leading to corrosion between the steel and the chrome.

Another major advantage of stainless spokes & nipples is that the spoke tension can be checked and adjusted as neccessary when the wheels are serviced as the nipples do not seize on the spokes, as is usually the case with the chromed nipple/spoke combination

19. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I dident know TAW (Ted Wabel) rebuilt Borannis. I agree Ted is a good guy; I know him and have bought stuff from him. Give him an A++.

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #20 Napolis, Dec 18, 2009
    I think he still does but it's worth a call to find out. He had Borrani make a new set for 002 that are great.

They still had original blueprints for her wheels.

21. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    I sent my Borranis to Dayton last winter to be rebuilt and they were returned. Although I was not told so, I surmise that Dayton is no longer in the rebuild business. They next went to Precision Wire and came out great. So great that I wound up buying a set of Cromodoras for daily use and mount the wires only for show!

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    +1

Ted didn't actually restore my Campys but sourced them and coordinated the work with Bob Gates. Flawless work, fair price and great cooperation/communication.

Jack.