At what point did the tail-light area change to black? | FerrariChat

At what point did the tail-light area change to black?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Beanster, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #1 Beanster, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've seen some 360's with body colored tail-light areas and some with black. I thought it was only the CS models but I just saw a Modena with the black on the back end and I really like it. This could affect my buying decision.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    That is a challenge grill (that happens to be on a CS) they were an option on the 360, and the first aftermarket upgrade most owners do.

3. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Any idea as to how an aftermarket black grill costs?

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Go to ricambi.com, Daniel is the contact there and they are a site sponsor. Do a search and you'll find it. $1,875. Not a big deal, really. Easy to add. There are far bigger things to ponder when considering a 360 purchase, like cluctch, belts, variators, service, etc.

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261252

5. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yikes! Hella expensive for something so insignificant.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    It's purpose is to provide more efficient cooling of the engine as it allows the air to flow through the area effectively. Not having it will increase the operating temperature of your engine, guaranteed.

You see, the grill gets hot, so hot you can cook eggs on it. And after a long drive, if you dare touch it, you will get burned. So, imagine not having the breathing grill back there.

I would not consider driving without one in Texas.

You may notice many grills are discolored, or faded. Ever wonder why? Heat!

These grills were designed for the challenge cars for racing. However, many have discovered the benefits of having the grill and have included in their list of must haves for the car.

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I should also add, it allows drivers behind you to see the inside of the engine compartment--really cool, really cool. This is the least of the benefits, but it is fun.

8. hifipj

hifipj Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2009
    If you think $1875 is expensive for an accessory, you definitely should not be considering a Ferrari purchase!

Have you contacted your local dealer to price a timing belt and full fluid service, or clutch replacement? You should do a thorough search of past threads regarding first-time Ferrari purchases and get fully informed about all the costs associated before making a purchase decision.

9. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Expensive? Nah!!
    It's Italian!
    That's nothing for a Ferrari!!!

10. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Expensive is $550 for a Windshield wiper arm (348). That one made me swear a bit.. Least the challenge grill weighs more & is bigger :)

11. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

+++1 Best piece of advice this guy could get!!

12. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What's with you guys?
    Could I be the only Ferrari buyer who still has a sense of being frugal, sensible, or reasonable? I totally regret posting that last message.

13. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Beanster - its crocodile tears ... once you drive it they go way!

14. ejc0930

ejc0930 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Ethan Clark
    #14 ejc0930, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    I don't think they were trying to offend you, just trying to make you aware of what the operating costs on a machine like this are. Most people would argue that if you are indeed frugal you wouldn't be buying a ferrari in the first place.

15. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #15 Beanster, Dec 16, 2009
    After meeting some guys this past weekend at the FCA-MAR event, I think there are some owners who are just like me. I don't have boat loads of money but I have more than enough to buy and maintain a 360.

For some, an F-car is just another toy or even just a place holder for cash. For me, it will be a dream come true. I've worked my a$$ off to get to this point.

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Well, I would suggest getting a 360 that has all the options you need already added. Most already have the challenge grill. So not to worry. Yes, most of us have worked are butts off to own these cars. My comments were meant to wake you up to the reality that you seemed not to understand. A clutch job, minimum is $4k on the low low end, that is reality. Getting caught with unexpected bills and not being able to drive our dream car would be the worst of both worlds. I learned a lot from the FCA-MAR guys before purchasing my 360, they are some of the best guys around.

17. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #17 Beanster, Dec 16, 2009
    Hey Robert,

Thanks for the comments. To be honest, I'm not worried about clutch job costs. My biggest concern is a monster cost if the pre-cat issue happens. Yeah... $4k for a clutch... I can live with that. But the costs I've read about when the pre-cat thing gets sucked into the engine... well it makes me wonder if I want to take a chance. At the FCA-MAR event, no one seemed to care about the pre-cat issue. Some never even heard of it. Maybe they were the ones with 5+ F-cars.

At the moment, I'm looking for what I would consider my perfect F-car:
    2003+
    5k to 15k miles
    Red or TdF Blue
    Manual
    Rear CS Grill
    Black Interior
    5 Spoke Rivit-looking wheels (cant recall the name of these)
    Not more than $90k

One day, I'll find it.

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You will find that car, "BUT" service is everything--all cars are NOT equal. Don't put a year on your criteria, instead put a requirement of service records, a cap on price you'll pay, and condition of the car. A year here or there means nothing. I've seen 360's that are 04's and they look like rags next to my car. GO FOR QUALITY! You can't make the car much better than it is.

Sure you can pinch pennies going in, but you'll pay eventually.

19. TravisJ

TravisJ Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Travis
    You may be. Most frugal, sensible, and reasonable people would buy something closer to a Toyota Prius.

20. Sidler360Spider

May 30, 2009
    North Jersey
    Hey, Im glad you have decided to go with a Ferrari, You should be damm proud of yourself for busting your butt to be able to afford this car. But once you buy it, there definately is a maintenance fee, and you have to be ready for that. They definately need babying.

I also worked my ass off and got my dream car, It was a 2003 360 spider, Rossa Corsa red, with the 3 piece wheels, with every single option possible. The car was still under warranty, so make sure you get one with a warranty. Also make sure it has the rear challenge grill, and the TUBI exhaust is a MUST HAVE. I got mine with 7600 miles, and I bought it in March of 2009. Now me and you both know what you really want, but we start out slow, and use our money wisely. I for example really wanted the F430 over the 360 Spider, but I didnt want to take that huge step, and that bit me in the ass. I got the 360 and literally 6 months later in October of 2009, i decided to take the plunge and get a 2007 F430 spider, same color, fully loaded and a warranty. And for that I took a hit of about $15,000.00. But we both know the animal is the 430, and especially now they are priced very well.

Moral of the story, if your going for a ferrari already, might as well go for the F430, spend a bit more, but you will get much much more car, and its so much more fun. And it will last longer, and all the services are so much cheaper.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

21. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Joe,

The solution to the problem is to buy a '99 360, NO pre-cats on '99!!! Or you could go with a Euro car, they also do not have pre-cats. Nate in the FCA-MAR has a beauty of a nero euro 360 and has had the car for over 5 years and ZERO problems. Just some more food for thought!!

22. Beanster

Beanster Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Mid Atlantic Area
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That's certainly something to think about. It just seems like all of the pre-2003 models I've seen have plenty of interior wear (especially the seats). I wonder if there are any other significant differences between throughout the model years.

23. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You can get a better deal on a Euro car, but then you deal with the inevitible disposition challenge. I can't speak to the function, issues or concerns regarding the operation of a Euro car, but I can tell you is they do not command the same price as a US model, nor will they sell as fast. Is this a concern, maybe not. I suggest doing your homework on a Euro car purchase and determine if it's the right car for you.

Do a search and you'll find many valid arguments "for" and "against" these cars. Then you can make an informed decision.

24. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So, what you are saying here is: "Once you black, you never go back"? ;)

25. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Once you go "holly black" you never go back.