Very fast idle in an '84 Mondial; bad TPS? | FerrariChat

Very fast idle in an '84 Mondial; bad TPS?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by surfdoc37, Dec 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Car used to idle at ~1200 for about 15 seconds after starting, then ~2200 for a couple miles before calming down and idling "normally" again ~12-1400 (if I recall). Now has taken to idling at ~1200 for about 15 seconds after starting, then zooming up to ~3000 where it stays, no matter how far I drive. This can't be good, and is especially disconcerting in traffic.

Had it in to shop and they could not adjust the problem away, recommend replacement of throttle position sensor at ~$450 parts plus labor, possibly more to come if that doesn't do the trick.

Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

If so, does $290 for the sensor sound right? I do not have the Bosch part number right now, but see various sensors of that era for Porsche/BMW/Ferrari for $5 to $80 on eBay. Is there a substitute part?

Many thanks.

2. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner
    #2 speedy, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  3. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I don't know about the Mondial, but the idle on the 328 can be increased if the driver pushes the floor mat up against the floor-mounted gas pedal. I experienced this when I let a friend drive the car (different driver, different orientation...). The idle went up about 2300RPM. Quick troubleshooting pointed to the floor mats....mitigated immediately.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check and listen for vacuum leaks, check your vacuum hoses for puncture, crack, loose, or disconnected as they can cause idle to go higher.I don't think TPS can cause this.

5. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    Did you check the bimetal thermostat on you're expansion tank,make sure the leads did'nt come loose?

6. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Ha! I've described my general mechanical ineptitude elsewhere on F-chat, but I DID check the floor mat! Even crawled under the dash to have a better look at the pedal area.

7. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill

Good work, surfdoc37; I was hoping it could be a no-cost fix. It's very irritating to have an engine not idling properly. Personally, I would clean all my connectors with electronic parts cleaner and Q-tips, and exercise any mechanical devices (example, the TPS can be moved with the throttle lever). After cleaning electronic connectors, insulate them with dielectric compound (comes in a small tube). Don't forget the startup stuff like the cold start injector and warm up regulator: false signals there could cause issues even after the engine is warmed up.

Good luck.
    Rob

8. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    So, the part number speedy kindly provided does match the part on my car. Rather than test the old one I decided to just buy a new one, in case the shop's diagnosis is correct. Autohaus AZ had it for 50 bucks with free shipping. This does not make me feel good about the $290 price quote from the shop.

It's easy to see the sensor on the engine and it looks like a simple matter of removing the electrical connector, loosening two screws, and swapping out the part. Seems like it ought to take me about 5 minutes, unless possibly there's something I'm missing? This does not make me feel good about the approximately 1.5 hr labor quote from the shop. And it makes me feel even worse about the >$3 k I've already flushed there.

9. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Congrats on finding Autohaus AZ - I buy any/all my bosch parts there, usually for lot less than some dealer or brick and mortar place is selling them for.

Frankly, quoting $290 for a readily and widely available $50 part is shameful, if not fraudulent. All the independent shops I know absolutely do not buy generic parts such as this from the dealer. However, I do know first hand that several charge the dealer list price for a part they bought from somewhere like Autohaus AZ. Now that's just plain ripping people off......

10. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    How could they recommend replacement of a part that has nothing to do with a fast idle problem? An "intermittent" fast idle problem can't be "adjusted away".

No. I'd find another shop that will diagnose first, repair or replace parts second.

Good advice, but likely not the problem.

A good place to start...

Me neither!

First, it's not a Throttle Position Sensor, but rather a throttle position switch. Personally, I'd be focusing on:

-Vacuum leaks, as Mike suggested
    -Throttle plate angle
    -Throttle linkage at the butterfly stuck/sticking
    -Throttle plate hanging up
    -Throttle cable hanging up

Disconnect the throttle cable...and open and close the throttle butterfly. Does it hang up or not close completely? If so, there's your starting point...

Simple problem...and have repaired many 3x variants with this problem. I haven't repalced a TPS yet...in 25+ years.

David

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Doesn't your '84 mondi have an auxilliary air valve ("valvola aria supplementare")? Is your AAV stuck open perhaps?

12. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I agree and don't believe it to be the TPS. I would look at the cold start system and check out the thermo switch in the coolant tank. This controls the Aux. Air Valve and the cold start injector pulses. Sound like the CPU is in open loop (cold start) and not going into closed loop as the water temp rises. Need to do some more digging before you buy parts. . It just may be the AAV is open to far and not closing as the engine warms up. My 2 cents.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    sounds like the sensitive switch on the expansion tank, it controls the vacuum solenoid to the cold start valve. when cold it holds it open increasing idle speed, once warm the valve should close. a quick simple test is to check the leads at the switch disconnect the leads and if the idle drops then you've found the problem.

also I have run into some that operate in the opposite manner, the WSM makes a bad english translation reference to it, but not enough to let you know which one you'll find.

14. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    #14 surfdoc37, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks to all for chiming in.

I can locate the throttle and throttle cable, lubed the cable, the throttle moves easily, I don't think these are the issue.

Messing with the throttle plate is, I think, beyond my capability.

I can locate the coolant overflow tank. Are "thermo switch" and "sensitive switch" synonymous? I'm at work and can't go count switches. If so, and if I unhook the electrical lead and drop my idle, does it just unscrew and a replacement screw back in? Anyone have a part number if I need it?

As an aside, my "engine coolant" light is chronically on, two different places haven't figured it out as a problem, suggesting it as an electrical glitch instead. Might I kill 2 birds with one stone replacing that switch?

Lastly, no idea where to look for vacuum hoses or an AAV valve. Can anyone point at a photo or diagram which would help me find them?

15. spang308

spang308 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2004
    York, PA
    #15 spang308, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Have you verified there is the proper level of coolant in the system? The bimetal strip in the aav recieves it's heat from the coolant expansion tank (valve is located below and bolted to the tank). If your system is really low on coolant, or worse totally out of coolant, the tank will not heat up due to no coolant in the tank. This would lead your aav to believe the engine is cold and cause it to be open and raise your idle. Correcting a way low on coolant situation would most likely solve both of your issues. Then you need to find why the coolant was this low in the first place.

A vacuum leak will cause a similar high idle due to the leak essentially performing the same additional airflow that the aav is designed to do.

I would bet a relatively large sum of money it is NOT the Throttle Position Sensor.

You need to find a trustworthy mechanic I'm affraid...

Spang

16. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is this light located in the bottom of the speedometer? If not, can you indicate where it is located?

Any question from the past history/paperwork that your "1984" might actually be a "1983"?

17. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Plenty of coolant. Behavior of the light, which used to flicker off and on as I'd corner, for instance, lends some credence to the idea it's a faulty sensor in the tank.

18. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    The light in question is the first one in the row of warning lights in the center console forward of the shift gate.

And, my bad, it is "engine cool-ER" not "engine cool-ANT".

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #19 Steve Magnusson, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    Well, it shouldn't be ;) -- it should be labeled "low engine coolant level". If you check page 27 in your 308/84 OM, it is somewhat better described as "Low engine cooler level warning light". On your expansion tank there are two (independent) electric gizmos -- the level sensor for this warning light and a thermoswitch (or sensitive switch) that "tells" the injection system either:

1. "I'm cold -- so ignore the O2 sensor output, add a little extra fuel, and run open loop", or

2. "I'm warm -- so use the O2 sensor output to control the FV and run closed-loop."

So your high idle problem and this warning light always being "on" are probably not related. Also, even if the thermoswitch on the expansion tank is bad, it would only slightly alter the warm idle AF ratio (your 1984 does not have a cold start air valve like the 1980-1983 3.0L cars which can have a high idle if the thermoswitch in the expansion tank fails). As the guys have already indicated, you must have some (undesired) source that is allowing (a lot of) extra air to enter the engine -- bad AAV stuck open, cracked gasket/hose, throttle plate not closing correctly, etc.. As a very simple first test, just "pinch" one of the large rubber air hoses going to the AAV closed (simulating a closed AAV) -- if the idle drops, you've found the trouble. If not, you'll have to keep looking for another air leak. Good Hunting!

20. surfdoc37

surfdoc37 Karting

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    #20 surfdoc37, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    A little update. Bought and replaced the TPS. I did not test the new one with an ohm meter but I did try the old one, and maybe it was broken as only one set of contacts seemed to open/close.

After placing the new switch, while facing it from the rear right I pivoted it far clockwise essentially to the stops on the mounting bracket, where it "clicks" almost immediately after the throttle is advanced manually. Pivot it back at all counterclockwise and there's no click. The old switch was installed pivoted far counterclockwise and did not generate any click at all when the throttle was manually advanced through its full range.

Does this seem like the correct configuration? I was reading on an Alfa fuel injection site that the TPS ought to switch with the throttle open about 60%. Mine is now maybe 10%, versus always open (but maybe not working) with the old switch.

With the switch installed that way I went for a drive, car started fine, idled cold (40 f) at ~1200 rpm, but after 7-8 miles on the freeway the idle was back to about 2200 rpm returning to my neighborhood. Which is not great but it's a lot better than 3000 rpm.