Out of town need to solve this Problem : RPM VERY HIGH :( | FerrariChat

Out of town need to solve this Problem : RPM VERY HIGH :(

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jnabulsi, Dec 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jnabulsi

jnabulsi Rookie

Aug 29, 2009
    Car: 2008 f430 spider f1- it has less than 2000 miles,

Problem: I was driving and all of a sudden I started to feel the RPM keep going higher on its own- so I am just pressing the brakes. When I stoped the car and got it into Neutral the RPM almost hit 9-10 alone, so I stopped the car. It says CHECK OK, so no problem arises, plz any advice as I am out of town , away from my garage and I have to go back tomorrow morning.

Thanks

2. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Sounds like a stuck throttle cable. Do they still have cables or are they drive by wire? Can you even get to that stuff? I haven't dug throught the covers. I've had a return spring break once causing this problem on other vehicles.

If it was me I'd call F-car dealers to see if this is a known issue and something you can address where you are. Don't know how many will be open on Saturday but you can do a search and just call them in random places around the country. They have always been helpful to me.

3. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    What city are you near, there may be an f-chatter nearby with a couple tools to assist.

4. jnabulsi

jnabulsi Rookie

Aug 29, 2009
    Hello Drik,

I am actually a bit far away- I live in Egypt :) and the dealer is not open. So i have to try out myself

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Yes, you are a distance off. Good luck with it. You could also try posting the question under the 360/430 section, some may look there that won't look here.

6. stephenofkanza

stephenofkanza Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Stephen LeRoy Sherma
    In my 308 I had a similar problem casued by the floor mat.
    Wish you luck.
    Stephen

7. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Most likely floor mats have slipped forward and are touching/pressing on throttle pedal.

If not that throttle cable or if fly by wire system ecu/throttle pedal rheostat failure.

If mats aren't the issue try rebooting ECU.

8. five40iguy

five40iguy Rookie

Dec 3, 2009
    Or maybe you have a massive air leak somewhere, any hissing or sucking noises?

9. haith

haith Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    North Lincs, UK
    Full Name:
    Jon
    430s are "fly-by-wire" rather than using a cable. If there isn't anything physically pressing your accelerator down (like a floor mat getting in the way) then it sounds like you have an electronic issue. It's most probably the accelerator potentiometer that is faulty. I'd be very cautious about driving the car until you have it seen to (you could end up losing control of the car). In my experience however when a throttle potentiometer fails, you can usually only go very slow, but it sounds like you have the exact opposite problem!

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Another possible problem could be the idle air control valve is stuck wide open allowing too much air to pass around the main throttle plate. In neutral unloaded the engine can rev quite high with a little extra air flowing to it.

11. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Not to hijack the thread(Hope you get it fixed man), but I have an 87 CRX which has just about the same problem, when it's cold it will idle at sometimes around 3000+ RPM for 3-4 minutes, is this something I should be worried about?

12. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    No that's just a high idle so it warms up faster when cold. Try quickly blipping the throttle while the car is in neutral if you want it to kick down.

13. Zupra

Zupra F1 Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    St Louis
    Full Name:
    Chesney
    Yeah I try that but sometimes it just kicks it up a notch; at least I know it's not a bad thing. Only bad part is it's pretty much straight exhaust and annoys the neighbors in the morning.

14. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I would disconnect one of the battery terminals for 1 minute then reconnect, although that may cause another issue. The issue that it may cause is the throttle actuator may have to be put through a 're-learn' procedure, worst case scenario is that the engine will start and idle but the throttle will not respond to driver input from the throttle pedal. In any case idle speed is much safer overall for your drivetrain. Otherwise get it on a flatbed tow truck and back to a dealer. Good Luck.

Zupra - pm me about your car and I will give some things to check.

15. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    No knowledge on the 430 system whatsoever, but can you physically check the throttle position with the engine not running but contact on?
    I'd look for a disconnect of the throttle pot meter from the pedal (if this is possible), a stuck throttle plate/mechanism or a massive airleak (a larger hos came off)

16. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't a floor mat. There have to be multiple safeties for throttle problems so this doesn't happen. GM cars go into a limp mode when the commanded throttle opening does not match the actual. Pretty big liability for something like this to happen, it could kill people.

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    So, what happened?