Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet Help | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet Help

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by newbob9519, Feb 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. newbob9519

newbob9519 Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    South Lyon, MI
    I am interested in buying a 1987 - 1988 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet and wanted to know from current and former owners what I should look for and any problem areas I should be aware of with the 1987 - 1988 cars.

Also, what kind of price do you feel I would looking at for say a 1988 Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet red/tan w/30,000 - 40,000 miles and all services complete?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

2. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    General Mondial Cab issues to be aware of:
    a) Condition of the top-this is not a cheap item to replace. If appears too tight, and original top, may need to be replaced in the future. Broken top latches can be a clue as to this.
    b) Worn interior-Ferrari's, including all Mondials, are noted for poor wearing leather. Mondials can be prone to sun-fade due to being a convertible. It is not a difficult, but time consuming job to take apart a Mondial interior and re-dye. Depending on degree of sun fade, it may make it difficult just to spot in if just seats are worn.
    c)Boot tight, worn, or missing
    d)Cockpit cover missing-very common to find cars without this, and can be difficult to find used or NOS.
    e)Warning light system on center console functioning correctly
    f)Are solenoids to open bonnets functioning correctly
    g)General Ferrari issues; including has major service been performed, cam belts replaced, water pump condition, air conditioning condition/functioning correctly, clutch slave cylinder.

Hopefully, this should give a descent place to start. Price range on Mondials can vary greatly. You will see examples in this price range from 20's to 50K! But, a Mondial is a classic case of you get what you pay for. I'm sure you will find cheap examples, that need TLC and services. But, check costs of what it can take to make it a lady before you jump at a cheap price.

3. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Just shop around and find exactly what your looking for. There is no shortage of Mondials (except I rarely see an '87 for some reason) so dont settle for the first couple you find. Red/tan cabriolet is the most desired combo so expect to pay more than a white/pink for example. If you can find a red/tan cab with under 40k miles for $30-$35K and everything else checks out then i'd say your getting a fair price.
    Mondials are prone to electrical problems and the windows are always slow as a rule. Ive found that they also tend to drip a lot of oil. A little oil should be no problem though. Some of them have a hot start problem (if you asked 10 different people how to fix this youd get 10 different answers) so make sure you drive it for at least 1/2 hr, let it sit and then restart it on the test drive. If it comes right back to life with no problems then your good.
    Good luck!

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Watch out for the rear windows. If the motor(s) need to be replaced, it is very, very expensive.

5. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    Oh yeah, I just noticed your in South Bend. I recently saw a mondial cab for sale in I think Ft. Wayne Indiana. It had some miles on it, but it was a red/white cab and the guy was asking under $20K I think. He claimed it was in great condition and there were no problems. It was a few months ago so I dont know if he still has it or not. Also, I dont remember if it was a 3.2 or not but it never hurts to find out. Its always nice to find one closer to home and not have to drive out to Cali.