my first F430..pending PPI..what else should I check for? | FerrariChat

my first F430..pending PPI..what else should I check for?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ositosucio, Dec 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    This is a 2005 F430 F1for $135,000.. it seems like a decent price to me.The car
    has 6,500 miles.

The dealer has some service records but not all of them. Would Ferrari of NA have mor einformation on a vehicle?

thanks all for the help. This is my first F and I am a bit nervous.

2. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    here is the VIN#ZFFEW58A450142116
    if anybody needs to check something.

I will truly appreciate it.

thx

3. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Your dealer can request records from other dealers where the car has been serviced. They won't like to do it (it is more work), but they can and will if you push them. You (they) should be able to hunt down Dealers where it may have been serviced using the carfax registration info. There are usually few (one) dealers in a particular region.
    That sounds like a fair price for a nice car if all else is kosher.
    Good Luck and Merry Christmas!!!

4. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    thanks.

Yeah I have a list of dealers where it has been served. Cant do much now becasue of the Holidays but will check with them first thing Monday.

5. aahtt

aahtt Karting

Mar 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Anthony H.

Are you buying from an authorized dealer? if so, is the car CPO with one year warranty?
    what color, options, transmission etc.?

6. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Any dealer can tell you if there are any open TSBs. These are free but good to keep updated. It's a pretty early '05 so there will be some. Also, have the exhaust manifolds checked very carefully. At 6500 miles, they are likely still fine. Sometime down the line, they will likely fail. Ask a dealer what the replacement cost is. There is a new design. Otherwise, 430's have proven to be very solid, reliable cars. I've had my '05 since new, now with 17K. I'm very happy with it.

Dave

7. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    hi

not from an authorized dealer.

No warranty left in the car... thats why I m having it go through a PPI and I will need all service records available.

Red with tan interior, F1 tranny. Daytona seats, shields, didn't see any other extras...

I am a bit worried about buying a vehicle with no warranty but..ahh the dream is so close now....

8. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Don't worry. You should be fine with the good PPI. Heed the Manifold advice though. Also check the clutch wear. This will tell you volumes about how the car has been driven. There should not be much wear with that number of miles.

9. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    the seller wants to take it to The Collection for the PPi.... it is the premier luxury dealership in Miami... one block away from them.

It sounds to me they have a "hook up" there already.

Am I being paranoid?

Anybody knows a good place in Miami for the PPI?

thx

10. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    Assuming that you are paying for the PPI, you must be able to insist on where you want to go to. Otherwise, walk away.

That was what happened to me and I walked. Found a better deal later on my T&C's. I am now also waiting for my PPI to close my deal next week :)

Best of luck.

BTW: There is one almost the same as the one you are looking at - near me. They are asking for the same price that could mean someone could get it for less? Very nice car.

http://www.mbescondido.com/inventory/vehicles/2005/FERRARI/430/ZFFEW58A650143140/Escondido/CA/

11. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    thank you. this is definitely helpful.

12. aahtt

aahtt Karting

Mar 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Anthony H.
    That explains the price. I was in your shoes a few months ago and eventually decided to buy from an authorized dealer because only them can cpo and add warranty to an 05. Mine is red and tan with F1, daytonas and ceramics and paid 145k, but that was 7 months ago and it had 5k miles and all the campaigns done including the manifolds.
    If you like this particular car, get it PPIed at a location of ur choosing and insist on getting all the campaigns done or reimbursed for.
    Thats the advantage of buying a cpo car, the dealer has to perform all the campaigns and add a one year warranty, non authorized dealers cannot.
    Good luck.

13. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    very helpful post. thanks. I have some thinking to do... perhaps it is better to by from an authorized dealer even if the price is slightly higher...

14. MFC997

MFC997 Karting

Nov 13, 2009
    You get what you pay for my friend. I'm a prospective first time buyer and will go no other way than Ferrari CPO. The old dogs can hit and miss. We pups can't afford to.

15. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008

i hear you. Something to consider for sure. thanks

16. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil
    however I'm not certain that the manifolds were changed, if i have the warranty does it really matter? car has 13k on it.

17. aahtt

aahtt Karting

Mar 24, 2009
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Anthony H.
    check with the dealer, mine came with paperwork showing the manifold work as done.

18. boiseferrari

boiseferrari Formula 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Boise, Id.
    Full Name:
    Kriss
    Autocheck as well as carfax

19. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    TSB's are done for free even if it is out of warranty. Manifolds are coverd under the warranty but it would be better if they are already done since there is no guarantee they will fail during the warranty. Frankly, if I were shopping for a car, I would skip the extended warranty on a car that's already had the manifolds done. The warranty is in the 6K/year range----very pricey IMO. If you find a car with records showing maintenance was done in a timely manner and there are no recurrent issues, I'd just go for it. 430's are very stout.

Dave

20. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil
    as I've already paid for the warranty, it was only $4200, as a percentage of the purchase price it was nothing for the added security and made sense to me as it required the dealer satisfy to ferrari.

thanks for the thoughts

21. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    what company did you us for the warranty?

thx

22. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil
    i purchased it from the dealership, but it's a Ferrari power train warranty. The dealership had to do some work on the car before ferrari authorized the warranty took a few days but I'm glad it was done as a result i feel more comfortable.

23. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    i take it you purchased from a Ferrari certified dealership then?

thx

24. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil
    yeah i got it from Ferrari of Washington DC, might have paid a little more (I figure 10k at a minimum) but asa i said before I was interested in comfort and and a specific color, Grigio Ingrid