78 308 Odd symptoms end in tow | FerrariChat

78 308 Odd symptoms end in tow

Discussion in '308/328' started by Jdubbya, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Wanted to catch a few looks with the title, but that is indeed what happened to me on Saturday. We had a rare nice, sunny, almost warm day up here in the NW so I took my 308 out for a spin. I hit a nice stretch of road and opened it up for just a mile or so. As I caught up to traffic in front of me I noticed something was a little off. As I slowed the car seemed to lose power and I pulled over in a parking lot.

Now the odd part. It seems to idle fine but even at idle if I rev it, it starts popping and missing anywhere north of about 2K rpm.

So not knowing what it was and not wanting to risk damaging anything more, I had it towed home.

Once home it started right up and idled fine again and seemed ok pulling it into the garage. I haven't had time to dig into it yet but it sure seems like nothing major went wrong.

Just for background, I drove probably less than a mile when I noticed the symptoms, and it was starting to lose power but I didn't push it either after I felt it. The slow down lights never came on, and yes I checked they both still work on initial start up. New belts and tensioners last year and from a cursory glance they both look fine.

I'm thinking something ignition or possibly fuel related so I'm going to start with the simple things first like plugs and wires, then dig into the fuel system or the distributors next.

Any ideas or suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Hi John,
    Did you wash the car before your drive?

3. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 Jdubbya, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    No I didn't wash it before taking off. I was a good 30 miles or so into it too.

4. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you are still running points sounds like maybe the gap is closing up on you, at least on one bank. Then again I am certainly not a good choice for these speculations.

If it were me and left to my own devices I would check the idle and timing. Next, it would be a painful and painstaking walk through the entire ignition system from one end to the other -- plugs (fouled?), extenders (cracks? resistance?), plug wires (cracks? resistance?), distributor cap (cracks? moisture?), points (gap? condition?).

Sounds like some sort of ignition problem so probably no serious worries.

Good luck!

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Fuel filter been changed lately?

6. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Yep, what he said.

7. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Was it running well the previous time you drove it? Did you do anything to her in between?

Change oil / filter, clean up anything in engine compartment etc.

8. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    Sounds like the symptoms when my fuel pump went out. Just a thought.

9. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I had a similar problem recently: loss of power. Turned out one of the ignition modules had stopped working so one bank of cylinders wasn't working either. The dealer replaced the faulty module and everything's fine now.

10. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    +1

I'd also check the fuel pump fuse/fuse block

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas. To answer the questions, yes it ran fine last time it was out, nothing done in between, and it has been awhile since the fuel filter was changed. In fact that thought crossed my mind and I nearly asked about it in my initial post.

Haven't had time to dig into it yet but I'll keep you posted what I find out or be back to ask more questions if I need!

12. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When an engine suddenly loses power, sputters, misses, etc., without someone physically looking at particular systems and making tests, there is no way anyone can guess. Your shooting in the dark.

The problems can literally be anything, from fuel, to spark, to mechanical, or combination's of two or three at the same time. But its so easy to pull a coil wire off and check spark, its surprising more people dont learn how to do it.

13. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #13 2dinos, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Start with the simple stuff. Do as I say, not as I do by rebuilding the engine 'cause she's out of gas :)

I like the fuel pump fuse idea. The fuse blocks are known trouble spots, and 5 - 10 minutes you'd know. Also the distrib caps - if there's any water in them, she'll start and run well for a while, then go nuts when warm (that's why I asked about washing the car).

The slightly heavier checks would be ign wires. I re-read your post and popping (to me) says ign. Fuel starvation would be bogging, and power drop.

The attached pix was a coil wire on the coil side that failed. It ran, but was definately worse as I tried to rev it.

I've had a couple of outings dinged by some strange gremlin. Hope you find it soon and it's painless.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I do realize that asking before looking may be a bit premature but really I just wanted to confirm the direction I was already planning on heading. This thread has done just that. I'll be checking ignition as well as fuel as I try to hunt down the gremlin.

That said this is the first time I've ever had to have a tow truck come rescue me on the side of the road. This car has been very reliable even on long trips.

I don't think it's a coil but it could be. It didn't feel like I lost one whole side but it is hard to say. Felt more like a cylinder or maybe two and for some reason it felt to me like the front bank. Can't really say why, it just did.

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The engine is balanced to the point where four cylinders dropping out feels as you describe, mine has done it...

You were right to shut it down though as washing the oil off the unfiring cylinders with fuel can only end in tears...

Mine would light back off, blowing flames five feet out the tips, until the header blew to pieces..

16. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Holy smokes! I'm sure that caught the attention of the model citizens :):).

There is fuel getting by all the time given the imprecise delivery. I was counseled to observe how "runny" the oil mixture is using the channels of wrinkles in my fingers. That is, as the fuel blowing past combustion works its way into the oil pan you get less viscous stuff going on in there. So you take some off the dipstick then drip it onto the top of your index finger. Not much "liquid" or "running" -- good. Otherwise, time to change the oil. (Thanks, Peter :).

Basically, straight old 20W-50 even warm isn't going to race down the wrinkles. But, very fuel diluted mixture will. Sorry, probably splitting hairs here.

And I am sticking with ignition as the problem :):).

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ..and the passing motorists, giving me the frantic international hand gesture for "Hey! Your cars is ON FIRE!!!" LOLOLOL!

I start with 20-50W also.

I'm just saying single bank firing isn't 'rough' on these engines, it just feels "down on power"...sticking advance can do the same thing.....

18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Long overdue yet minor update to this thread....turns out my gut instinct was right and it was a good choice to have the car towed. I finally got a few minutes to check things out and am getting no spark on the front bank. Haven't had time to diagnose why but that narrowed it down some! I grabbed a new coil since that seems like the likely suspect and it's cheap and easy to start with. Should have some time soon to really dig into it and see if I can solve it.

19. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    If you're still running points I would put my bet that the problem is there or in the advance in one of the dizzy's. When I 1st bought my 77 I had a set of points fail and almost blew the muffler off of the car. Went to electronic ign as soon as I could. That was in 2000 and I have never touched my ign system sinse. Good luck

20. marankie

marankie Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2004
    Agoura Hills, Calif
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Had the same problem last year and it was intermittent. After a lot of searching it turned out that the low voltage wire from the distributor to the coil had an internal rupture. Easy to check out is you make a small wiring loom bypass wire to go directly from the distributor to the coil.
    Martin

21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks again guys...wasn't the coil so I'll start pulling the dist apart as soon as I get a chance. It's probably about due for new points anyway.

22. gerard.hansen

gerard.hansen Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Hattiesburg/Petal MS
    Full Name:
    Gerard D. Hansen
    Mine did the same thing but it was that one of the cats was clogged.

23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I doubt that's my problem, my cats and exhaust are only about a year old. Thanks for more ideas though!