Sunglasses Color | FerrariChat

Sunglasses Color

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by Texas Forever, Dec 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    All --

Before we start getting "what kind of underwear do you wear" threads (FYI, I'm good with anything so long as it is brown in color.), I have been meaning to ask what color sunglasses you prefer for sketchy light conditions. From what I recall from my mispent youth where I attempted to race motorcycles, yellow gives a higher contrast than green. Is this still true, or do you not have a clue what I'm talking about.

Dale

2. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I use grey sunglasses but I vary the visor depending on ambient light, I have clear, light smoke and dark smoke visors.

I tried the "Blueblocker" visor and liked it, but they are hard to find now.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No you are correct, yellow "shooting glases" are very good in rain or snow...

I have some from LA Eyeworks that are 'brown', like a root beer color that I really like in low light conditions..

Go check out Academy as they have RayBan now and probably also have the polarized ones that are great for seeing fish, as the Blueblocker were a variant of that...

Happy Shopping!

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I have Oakley polarized, grey lens. I've used them when it's raining
    and it definitely clears things up, better contrast. Yellow lens also
    good at night.But for overall use,definitely polarized.

5. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yellow or rose colored in gray conditions for me.....they seem to help with contrast IMO.

6. AceAndy2

AceAndy2 Karting

May 19, 2008
    Idaho/Italy
    Full Name:
    Andrew Adams
    i used to sell Ski Goggles (mainly oakley, smith, etc.) and these are my opinions for which would be the best suited sunglasses color

The best for night is the high intensity yellow,
    for an example go watch audi's "truth in 24" and see what the pit crew is using for goggles at the night stops. (yes they're Oakley ski goggles)

My favorite for flat light (cloudy, rainy, etc) is Oakley's High Intensity Persimmon Lense, not sure if they have it in a sunglasses lens though.

7. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    So far I've found the MauiJim in brown to be the best for overall contrast and clarity when driving no matter what the condition. (Rain, bright glare.....dusk). Purely amazed at the color contrast.

8. Ronbo

Ronbo Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Morris County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have amber Oakleys (can't remember the exact color) for flat light and gray for bright light.

However, on the advice of several experienced drivers I did NOT get polarized lenses. They said that it would be easier to see water/coolant/oil spills with non-polarized lenses (i.e., because the spills would be reflective in sunlight). Haven't encountered spills while wearing the gray lenses so I couldn't say one way or the other but it's an interesting point.

Anyone else go non-polarized for that reason?

9. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Polarized grey.

I find that yellow makes things hard to discern in normal daylight (ie - a white Mercedes looks the same as the pavement). Not sure about low light conditions.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have a set of "matrix style" sun glasses that wrap around our head and eliminate side glare.

Now, while these are prescription glasses (with some spherical and astig correction) they are just slightly more green than your typical "polaroid" sun glasses and slightly darker, also.

They work great for all sorts of driving and I choose the feet so that it would be easy to slip them inside my helmet while at the track (over my ears...).