So what is the 430 manifold problem?... | FerrariChat

So what is the 430 manifold problem?...

Discussion in '360/430' started by cladd2000, Dec 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
  2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The required warranty in most states is 2 years. Ferrari covers them for 3 years (coupe) or 4 (spider). I believe only the DOT can actually force a recall and I don't think they ever have for a non safety issue. Check with a dealer in your state to find out what the local warranty might be. Also get a repair estimate. If you already have a car or are contemplating one, a dealer should be able to tell you VIN# the new design starts with. As for the ebay set, I would guess they are the earlier desing which you would not want. But check with the seller.

Dave

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#3 Ricambi America, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This document might be helpful.

("Rattles and Excessive Noise" is a code word for "cracked and blown and otherwise totally f^&ked")
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    I've read the service bulletin on this, but cannot tell from my chassis number whether or not I have the old or new Manifolds. The bulletin is confusing to say the least, as it appears that the "new" type manifolds were also put on early production cars in '05 and forward. I also tried to actually pull the part no. off the top of the manifold to verify, but could not locate the number? Can anyone provide more feedback?

C-

5. FerrariJones

FerrariJones Karting

Nov 1, 2004
    Seattle
    You need the assembly number of the car, not the VIN. I forget where it is located on the chasis, but your owners manual will actually tell you where to look for it. Otherwise, grab the last six of your VIN and call your local dealer. They can look up the assembly number of your car with the VIN number.

Your best bet is to go off of this assembly number and go back through your vehicle records to find if the manifolds have ever been addressed.

Good luck!

6. ferrariblue

ferrariblue Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Cody
    OOPS! What I meant was the assembly number, not the chassis number. It is located in the engine bay area on the frame. I found that number, but it does not narrow it down per the service bulletin. I bought the car with 1,400 miles, it's an '07 when I bought it in '08. I have all the records, so I know they have never been changed.

7. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    They will fail........I went through this TWICE with my 06' 430 Coupe.

I miss my 430 terribly but I don't miss the CONSTANT trips to the shop. Every time I think about getting back into a 430 I read a few posts here and decide that Im better off waiting for a pre-owned 458 even if it takes 3-4 years

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would bet that 458's will have their own set of issues, especially with all the new tech on it. So far, 430's have proven to be very robust, the occasional lemon notwithstanding. As long as the new design proves to solve the problem, I will be happy. I can't complain about mine at all, 52 months old, 17K miles. Got the manifolds done under warranty and have had no out of pocket costs for repairs (knock on aluminum).

Dave

9. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    Can someone explain how this problem manifests itself, what kind of rattle and noise? What should you look for to identify the problem?

Thanks.

John.

10. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My Dec. 07 with 10K miles just had to be fixed. They had some small cracks causing a noise at idle. Thankful for a warranty

11. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    What kind of noise is it? this is what I'm trying to understand, is it imediately obvious something is wrong?

John.

12. technicale

technicale Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Rattle at Idle could be the brackets at the rear. The cracked manifold noise you can hear very clearly, it sounds like you just blew out a muffler.

They crack about 7 inches from where it bolts to the engine. usually in the 1 or 4 pipe.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I had the 3rd annual service done on mine which was just before the warranty expired, I asked the dealer to check them very carefully and they found just slight leaks after careful inspection and listening. I could not hear anything amiss yet. As noted, there are lots of rattles, etc. that come from 430 exhaust systems. I thnik it is wise to have someone who knows what to look for and the proper listening tools to do it check them periodically. The leaks can cause additonal engine damage if gone undetected.

Dave

14. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    When we did the Paupers Run to Vegas last Oct. the Wynn Ferrari dealers was washing cars for $20. I took it in and the mechanics in there noticed the sound right away at idle. I just thought that was the sound the car makes.

15. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    When it happens I'm going with after aftermarket headers such as Fabspeed. If nothing else, they sure look better!

16. Buxton

Buxton Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2010
    Full Name:
    B Buxton
    When was the fix on the 430? - Dec 2008 and later cars was stated in the other thread

17. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    As written before, manifolds will always fail on a F430, older or newer cars. The root cause is not the headers themself, but the whole exhaust line which is attached too rigid on the exhaust brackets. Before, it were the exhaust brackets which were braking, Ferrari changed them for even more rigid exhaust brackets. With the pressure going backwards towards the engine, unfortunately, it's the headers who will brake eventually. Fortunately, stock exhaust brackets can be changed with better suspension systems. Capristo makes a good solution using springs in their brackets. They replace the entire stock bracket system. Before changing the headers, I would advice to start changing the stock exhaust brackets.

Very usefull information can be found in this thread : http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302868

Stef

18. 458italias

458italias Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    Cleveland Ohio
    with dealer replacement would they have upgraded the original stock brackets? or are you saying i should after the dealer replaced the manifolds?

19. 458italias

458italias Karting

Sep 15, 2012
    Cleveland Ohio
    with dealer replacement would they have upgraded the original stock brackets? or are you saying i should after the dealer replaced the manifolds?