Can you hear me now?!? | FerrariChat

Can you hear me now?!?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Sandy Eggo, Jan 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Which sounds better?

1. The 355!!

2. The M5!!

3. They're both awesome!!

4. A Prius

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
  2. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    I know it's a 355 and all, but the M5 sounds better.

I voted M5 but both are awesome.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Base Prius or the Prius Challenge version?

4. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    lol. "220, 221...whatever it takes."

5. PKF355

PKF355 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    sOCal
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Are you kidding me?!!

Is this a real poll?!!

That E60's exhaust is no where close to the sound of your F355. Not even close!

But this I will give you....that M5 really pulls away when under acceleration much quicker than F355. But the sound definitely goes to F355.

Just my $0.02 no flame please. :)

6. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Does Tubi make an exhaust for the Prius?

7. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    In real time I think the 355, but in these two videos it is clearly the German.

You never really squeezed hard on the 355 throttle from what I could tell, which may have changed my mind.

In real life they are both sweet, but I am sure the 355 sounds better "in the flesh".

MB

8. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Not even close. F355 all day.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    The M5 sounds great; very throaty. Not something you'd expect from a seemingly sedate BMW sedan. But it's also a new car, has a V10 engine and an aftermarket Dinan exhaust.

The F355 GTS, at best, is 10 years old (depending on the model year of your car) and is a V8.

Those factors aside, the 355 sounds better - in my humble opinion.

Was that a cop that pulled out behind you at the beginning of the 355 video? Was the gearbox oil in the 355 cold when you recorded this? Your M5 has paddle shifters, right?

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yeah, you have a point. I don't believe I got above 7,000 RPM in the 355 whereas I redlined the M5 (8,250 RPM) 3 or 4 times in the video. I need to get cracking in the 355.

Yep, completely different cars in many respects; that was part of the appeal of making the comparison videos - albeit not really very scientific.

No, that wasn't a cop that pulled out behind me. It was a very careful guy on a motorbike who got tired of me in his rear-view mirror (I wasn't pressuring him).

The car had been running say 10-15 minutes max by the start of the video...so gearbox oil was probably up to operating temp by then I would think.

Yes, that year M5 has paddle shifters.

11. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    355 exhaust note is with you all the way through the range, the V10 only howls when you nail the throttle, it is muffled generic other than that. The Bimmer is impressive but if you lived for sound alone, you'd have to drive out of your skin for thrills in the M5 imho.

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yes, the way the M5 gathers and maintains speed is mind-blowing (and a little scary if I'm honest). The F355 feels just as quick from a start up to 60 mph or so but above that I think the M5 would just walk away from it.

Although the BMW has exceptionally sharp driving dynamics and is very communicative - I honestly felt more "involved" in the Ferrari. The BMW is very predictable and precise...surgical almost; whereas the Ferrari keeps you on the edge of your seat like a movie thriller, wondering "oh jesus...what next!!!"

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They're all better than the Tesla. Welcome to the future... unfortunately.

14. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    As mentioned above and confirmed, you didn't seem to get into the 355 as hard. I think the true test is from the cabin. I'll drop you a line when I'm in the area for a spin in each. I only watched one minute of the BMW but it sounded more like a regular car.

When I hear my neighbors 348 fire up I sit on the front porch to watch and listen to it idle down the drive and roll out of the neighborhood. I don't hear the BMW's. Being different is fun.

My brother and I used to swap seat time and standing on the side of the road to listen to the vehicle pass under different loads. I'd a strange experience to see your own vehicle from the side of the road.

15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Based on the two videos, the M5 with Dinan exhaust sounds better than the 355 with Capristo. However if you listen to other YouTube 355 Capristo videos, they sound much better at full tilt than almost anything else. Personally, I think my 355 with Larini gives a healthier growl at 6/10ths and similar scream at 9/10ths. Like others have said, you have to really rev the engine up to enjoy the 355's "sound quality". These cars have less low-end torque than many other sports-cars and muscle cars

16. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    +1