BEST Ferrari "Value" these days? Testarossa? | FerrariChat

BEST Ferrari "Value" these days? Testarossa?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JF308, Jan 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    I've been Ferrari-less for about 6 mos, and starting to think about getting back in. Market, to me, seems to have hit a low (or at least hopefully not too much further downward pressure).

I've had a 308 GT4, and a Mondial t cab so far, and have driven other 308's - 355's + TR's. If you are looking for the best overall Ferrari "value" as defined by the combination of initial acquisition cost, avg maintenance, potential to "hold value or appreciate", and reasonable "Desirability"....whats the model to buy.

Assume TR in the mid-upper 40's, 308's around 30K, 328 in the mid 30's, 355 in the mid 50's.

I am thinking that it would be in this kind of order, but welcome opinions. Fun to talk about the different models.

Testarossa - Best overall "value" in terms of bang for the buck (Flat-12 power), reasonable resale (desirability of 80's icon and hopefully hit bottom in terms of $$). Maintenance a bit higher, but perhaps that is the pressure on price.

Carb 308 - lowest acquisition, lowest maintenance and iconic style and desirability.
    Maybe a tossup with the TR? or does the awareness of that model to the world make it a better choice due to resale

355 is "the car", but entry price and high maintenance keep it fairly expensive (lower priced cars seem to have the Gremlins of headers and valve guides to deal with).

Thoughts?

Appreciate the comments.

John

2. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Interesting thread, with the key being how you define "value" and I realize that you did try in the short space you have.

I really like my 348SS, but now that I own a 308QV it is growing on me. I guess like you, I have been thinking, wow, Testarossa's have come down a long way in initial purchase price, and (like the 997 Porsche Turbo's I also considered instead of a Ferrari), the Testarossa is a true Icon; a car that everyone knows and everyone knows is a Ferrari.

I don't know about maint. costs, but I would probably choose that if money was available at the moment.

MB

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly, 360's are perhaps the best bang for the buck at going prices. Price compression has put 348's, 355's, and 360's all within shouting range of one another.

4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think most of them are incredible values right now...so many under $100k its all personal taste.

For me the one that is most attractive is the 348 for less than $40k ! Thats amazing to me. Testarossa would be a close second.

5. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    IMO, I think that the 360's are the best 'value' right now. There are so many on the market and asking prices are as low as ever....a motivated seller might let one go at a crazy price. A 6spd car would be my choice as I wouldn't want the potential cost of repairing a F1 gearbox.

In the sub $60K market, the TR has got to be the car IF, and only if you have a good reasonable mechanic. You would have to be prepared to write an initial check to cover any 1st order maintenance issues, then boy would it be a fun car to play with.

I'm with you on the 355....That would be my 1st choice, but the maintenance costs seem to be prohibitive....

:)

JIM

6. ddnguyen

ddnguyen Karting

Aug 11, 2005
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Around 70-90K and very reliable (by ferrari standards).

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    We may be living in the "golden age" of value for money if you look at it that way. There are so many good cars out there at such discounted prices.

8. canadiantifosi

canadiantifosi Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2008
    uh...guess...
    Full Name:
    Canadian Tifosi Sr.
    Your objectives of the purchase weren't disclosed and this should be a part of your equation.

If you are planning on keeping the car forever then choose your model based on what you like and choose a primo example for less headaches. If you only plan on keeping the car for a year or two, then buy something that you can at least make your money back on when you sell.

I can't help but think that the 308 carbs cars have the most potential as this design has the most broad appeal amongst the faithful and the wishful who want a Ferrari. The Testarosa has such a unique look but as a result of the styling and higher prices there may be less of a selling pool to draw from. I think that since the 348 has some of the Testarossa's design elements the same reduced pool of potential buyers would be like the Testarossa.

360s have dropped in price to where there are lots of good well-maintained examples available. Choosing between the 355 and 360 my preference would lean towards the 355 and you would likely save a mittful of cash. Don't remember reading too many bad comments about the 355 as it seems to be universally admired.

Whatever you get, get a nice one and enjoy it while you own it.

Cheers-Colin Firth-Ontario Canada

9. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    if you look at my track record, I don't keep a car too long (a couple years along the continuum to autonirvana -- mainly due to budgetary constraints)...but want to make certain of the ultimate resale possibility as I move up.

I often help local guys sell their cars as a hobby, and have started to really appreciate a 90 black/black TR that I am assisting with (its in FerrariAds). Hard to keep my hand from pulling out the wallet...or should I?

Take a look.

http://s339.photobucket.com/albums/n466/scuderiaautosport/1990%20Testarossa/?action=view&current=aa5ed1eb.pbw

10. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    612s under 100,000 Euros are incredible value for money IMO.

11. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Great looking car in the pics! What's the service history on it? For me that is the determining factor. If its up to date and you are only going to keep it a couple years, you could theoretically get in and out with out too significant of a spend if the buying price were right....

JIM

12. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    The TR in the photo link has 29K miles. Major in 2005, about 3000 miles ago Performed at: International MotorSport, Huntington Beach, CA. So I would do belts at the end of 2010 driving season.

It just had a Scuderia Rampante "gold connector" kit done, so all of the electrical connections are now operating at perfection. The owner, Anthony, commented afterwards that the car performs better now than when he bought it. Dave Helms noted about what a beast it was to drive....really pulls. Thats why I am thinking hard on it. (355 kinda outta reach for me).

The full professional detail it just got really makes the black/black look great. Like a mirror.

Thanks for the comments Jim.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    TR hands down best bank for your buck and should retain its value but dont expect it to increase yet. A 360 I would say is more reliable but lacks the 12 cylinder sound and is depreciating rapidly. Ive driven 355's 360's and 430's, the 430 is the only one that turned my crank but its pricey and depreciating so its not an option. Again, TR. If you spend 360 money then get a boxer instead and have a car that goes up in value.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good choice

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maranello. No other Ferrari comes close. $75K will buy a good un. Close to 500 hp. A/C that will freeze your nuts off. Handles like a great white on the prowl. Plenty of room for big guys.

I sold mine a year and a half ago. The buyer still owns it. Every now and then, I get to thinkin. I get to thinkin bout how cool that car was. Sometimes, I think too much.

Dale

16. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #16 Michael B, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
    Fair enuf. No 355 then, and the 550 is out too.

I just had a 1990 TR in and assisted on a full major service. The car is well taken care of and loved by its proud owner of ten years. He asked me to shake it down once the belts were done and I happily did. It was fantastic. I had been in the car previously but this time it was truly special. My tech did a wonderful job and the car was really at its best afterwards - that may have played into the great experience - but it really was special nevertheless.

The steering is very heavy around town of course, but it is a quintessential F-car machine. I adore my Mondial t and am thrilled that you experienced one (its another that I happily recommend to you), but with the choices you have outlined I think the TR is the right pick. It really has the impact & appeal that I believe will satisfy your itch.

Its another great Ferrari that you will be able to experience, and it really does not get much better than that does it? Enjoy them all.

17. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I would say a Maranello or a 360.

18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #18 Ak Jim, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Very -very nice Black TR. quite rare color combo. You don't see very many all black Tr's with all black interiors. Go for it! I'm on my second TR. Sold the first one a few years back and needed to get another one. Not a canyon racer but put a great sounding exhaust on that flat 12!!! Ohhhh yeahhhh!

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You know deep down inside that you want the TR. Just get it.

Dave

21. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Best value Ferrari would have to be the 348 I reckon. :eek::eek:

That Testarossa looks awesome btw! :D:D

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Tidy car Jim! :):)

23. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Pure $$, I suppose I would agree. But for some reason the 348's (although I like them alot) are sometimes bordering on unloved in comparison with 328's, and 355's. So, from a resale/desirability perspective, I might think that the TR for about $10-$15K more might offer a better overall "value", IMO only as I interpret the comments from the group.

Under $50K -- seems like the TR

Over: Maranello, then probably 360

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Value to me also means the cost of repair and service along with the enjoyment.

A Ferrari should be a 12 cylinder, so I would think a 550, and soon a 575. They have the engine, reasonable accessability to the mechanics, comfort, and a great sound.

If I had to have a mid engined car, it would be the 360. It overcame the mechanical and electrical gremlins that haunted the 348 and 355.

25. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Best value is a 550. Ask me how I know.