New Hub Shafts | FerrariChat

New Hub Shafts

Discussion in '308/328' started by Corsa308, Jan 1, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    #1 Corsa308, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some of you may remember my previous thread about my sheared hub shaft.
    If you haven't seen it check here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252591&highlight=sheared+hub+shaft

It gives you the full rundown on how it happened and our discussions to date.
    In that thread Luckydynes suggested contacting Frank Capo who had made components for Ferrari's previously.
    Frank was very keen to help and although I hadn't used him before he came well recommended and makes all manner of parts for race cars etc.
    Although I am only just posting this now, the new hub shafts came some months ago and the car has been finished for a while.
    The shafts took about 6 weeks to maunufacture.
    As mentioned at the time, the rear hub area had yet to receive any of my attention so apart from new shafts, I installed new SKF bearings, all new seals etc, had the rear brake calipers re-built, and while I was there had the CV joints re-furbed/replaced. Also took the opportunity to replace all the CV joint bolts and lock nuts etc.
    So, the whole rear hub area is brand new.

See the pics below to show the quality of the new shafts. Needless to say I am very happy with the workmanship. I sent Frank the RHS shaft which was still AOK and he used that as a template. I have asked Frank to detail the process the shafts went through but he was somewhat cagey to reveal his process as he didn't want to give away any trade secrets.
    Thats OK, I can trust a company that makes full race gear sets and sequential gearboxes. He knew the shafts, had made them before and knew of their weak points.
    I told him I raced the car and didn't want to replace these shafts again. He used the same steel stock and surface treatment etc that he uses to make the drive shafts of the V8 Supercars here in OZ. That was good enough for me.
    While installing, the shafts and new bearings mated perfectly so hence the tolerances etc were spot on.

The upshot is that the shafts cost $1,000 AUD each which I reckon was great value. They are of a higher quality than OEM and manufactured with racing in mind.
    So, back to the track I go with much more confidence that the car and I will return each day.

Steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn

A work of art.

3. DAC

DAC Karting

Apr 20, 2008
    Regina Canada
    Very nice work. I would buy from him.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Very nice Steve. If you would be so kind as to share the name of Franks shop, and contact info, it would be greatly appreciated.

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Very very nice Steve ... glad it worked out.

Ernie it's been a couple years since I've chatted with Frank ... his company is called Modena Engineering and it's in Carrum Downs, Australia.

cheers

6. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Fantastic!

Thanks for sharing that.

7. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Bravo Steve!!!! Now time to get an Fchat group buy because anyone who tracks their car should get these IMHO.

8. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    Happy to organise a group buy if anyone is interested.
    Easy for me as I am in Australia.
    Check out their website: www.modenaengineering.com.au

Steve

9. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    He's got 6 speed dog boxes for our 308's for the real nutters out there :).

ummm ... you have to live without reverse though :).

cheers

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    WOW!! I would like to buys some but have expended all my money on a ten year service.............Very Nice!!!

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Very, very nice Steve. In my experience, the Australians and NZ guys do some of the finest machine work in the world. There's a lot more work that goes into making those parts than most people realize, even if the machinist is using the absolute best machine tools. The difference between a really well made piece like that and one not so good is measured in thousanths of an inch and, of course, thousands of miles......