Cannonball 308 | FerrariChat

Cannonball 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrayTA, Jan 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I was recently reading a thread where another FChatter had recently purchased and restored the Lamborghini Countach from the First Cannonball Run movie.

I was curious if anyone here knew of the location or serial number of the 308 driven by Dean Martin and Sammy Davis, Jr. in the movie? Maybe one of you owns it?

Anyone know anything about it??

PDG

2. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Seeing that particular Countach and that particular 308 in that movie when I was a little kid is what initiated my lust for cars. The thread on the Countach is fantastic. Would love to see the where-a-abouts of that 308.

Here is a link with the car, plus Sammy Davis Jr, and Dean Martin 'as juiced up as the Ferrari' dressed as priests. Talk about a culminating event of everthing which I deem classic in the world..... Am I correct in assuming that it is an '80-'81 'i'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqn49aQrq8

3. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    #3 Shark Sandwich, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

What a great set of shots on that youtube clip. That movie helped ignite my car infatuation too. Given the wheels and the mirror on the 308, I assume its a carb GTS or a really early (no later than 80) GTSi, as some of those arrived with 14" wheels and earlier mirrors of the carb cars.

I may be able to garner some info on the car, slim, but maybe. One of the captains I fly with was not only a stuntman on Cannonball Run II (and has some funny stories to tell about the scene with the white/red Countach and Catherine Bach), but his father flew the Maule for the scene in the first Cannonball Run when the plane lands in the street for beer. I'll ask him when I see him next.

Art

4. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #4 tommott77, Jan 3, 2010
    Care to divulge the story behind Catherine Back and the white/red Countach? That plane scene was great too. Those movies illustrate how far our views of drinking and driving, and flying, have progressed over the years.

Speaking of some of my favorite movies of all-time; "the review you had on shark sandwich, which was merely a two word review, just said sh*t sandwich".

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Last night when I was re-watching Cannonball Run (for about then 1,238th time, but the first time in a few years) my wife was appalled at the idea of driving or flying with beer. The look on her face when Terry Bradshaw and Mel Tillis were loading the car and when they got pulled over and he had the beer in his hand was priceless. This is, of course, well after the plane had landed and Dom Deluise went in to buy beer at the convenience store which also drew some looks.

FYI, my wife is considerably younger than I am, so she was not exposed to this growing up like I was. Its definitely one of the generational gaps.

PDG

6. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur

"... that's all the review said, he can't say that " :)

Hi Tommot ...

Just as Cannonball Run ignited my car infactuation, yes, "Spinal Tap" and "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones" ignited my 70's rock and hair metal loves that I've never shook.

I'll talk to my flying comrade, but one of the stories he told me that I remember at the moment was that, during the scene when the car is having the white paint sprayed off of it in the beginning, Ms. Bach is standing with the other actress with a bunch other assorted workers just off-set, and my work comrade tells me that he, along with everyone else is just standing there with there mouths agape as they stared at her in her outfit, even jaded film industry regulars stopped to stare. "Fixated" was the term he used, as Hal Needham was screaming at everyone to organize for the next shot.

Art

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    On Halloween I wanted to dress myself and a buddy up like Sammy and Dean and drive around town ... then that spawned the idea of putting advertising on the 308 and driving around town to create some kind of advertising/promotional biz ... I don't know ... be fun for a couple days :) ... maybe more.

My favorite line ... ... Sammy leaning out the side of the 308 yelling at the ambulance "why don't you take that POS back to the junk yard ha ha ha ha ha" as Dean drops the clutch.

cheers

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #8 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jan 3, 2010
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    so that's a start

10. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Karting

Jan 22, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Full Name:
    Arthur
    #10 Shark Sandwich, Jan 3, 2010

Cool detective work. Intersting stuff, the rest of the trivia is cool too.

Although, in the DVD version of the movie, with the "directors commentary", I thought Hal Needham himself said that the Countach was owned by a doctor at the time of filming, and the Hawaiian Tropic owner came later ?? I am however digging deep into my memory from the last time I watched that "directors commentary" version, so I could be wrong.

Art

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I was under the impression that it was the Hawaiian Tropic guy's car the whole time

12. Tony Ierardi

Tony Ierardi Formula Junior

May 30, 2004
    Naples, FL
    Ron Rice the founder of Hawaiian Tropic was on the set of the movie as he supplied Hawaiian Tropic girls for the movie (by the pool scene) where the Hawaiian Tropic car was ditched in the pool by Terry Bradshaw.

The car was owned by a doctor from Sarasota, Ron bought it from the doctor right off the movie set.

Your fellow 308 owner (me) restored the Cannonball Countach.

www.cannonballcountach.com

Maybe I should restore the 308 when its found ;)

13. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    @Tony - I LOVED reading the thread about the Countach. Knowing that the car has been in such good hands really brings a smile to my face. The work you did was amazing!! I was discussing that with my wife last night as we were watching the movie again. This was my motivation for creating this thread. I would really like to figure out where that car went (as well as other "movie" Ferraris and Lamborghinis).

Thanks for commenting here. I would love to see you be able to work your magic on this 308 too if she can be located.

PDG

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    OMG that exhaust!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Funny the things you notice after 29 years

At least two different 308's were used. Looks like you are going to have to track down two instead of one.

16. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Where did you find that there were two?

No doubting you, just curious....

PDG

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I just noticed the 308 that was leaving the hotel at the start of the race has amber/clear turn signals/parking lights. Later it has amber only.

Watch the youtube clips on the Countach page.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Then there is the 308 with the front license plate (desert shot racing in and out of lanes with the Lambo)

The others don't.

3 maybe??

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Or maybe they used one car but just swapped turn signal lenses and put a tag on it, then took it back off

for some reason...

20. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Wow, now thats some sharp eyes. I would have never thought to notice those differences. Nicely spotted!!!

PDG

21. OVERULD

OVERULD Rookie

Aug 10, 2009
    It was very common to use multiple cars in these type movies. Generally one for the exterior shots using cameras mounted on brackets attached to the sides, front and rear for various camera angles and another with interior mounted cameras. This was well documented regarding the 1970 Orbit Orange GTO Judge in the movie Two Lane Blacktop. I would presume that there were similar methods used in the filiming of Canonball as well.

BJ

22. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Besides the movie cars, has anyone located the Dino 246 that actually WON the 'real' race?

I have personally seen, up-close, the blue/black 365 GTB/4 Daytona driven by Brock Yates and Dan Gurney which won the second outing of the Cannonball. I'll have to scan the photos I have of the car - it still has the 1970s white pinstriping and the drivers' names on the door.

23. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That would be phenomenal!

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I have seen it too. It was at Road Atlanta back around 2000 or so at a FCA meet. I kept a picture of me and it in my office for several years.

It also still had the old 8 Track in it. I'll post my pics of it too

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I figured that.

Makes us wonder WHICH 308 was Needhams