BEST Ferrari "Value" these days? Testarossa? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

BEST Ferrari "Value" these days? Testarossa?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JF308, Jan 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.
    Good advice!

IMVHO

Models that will hold its value:

3x8
    Testarossa

Models that will still depreciate ( do not forget the upcoming 458 Italia effect ... ):

512 TR
    355 ( not very much )
    and all the other cars manufactured these years ...

Go for a nice Testarossa or a F355 !!! I for myself will go for a Diablo 2wd!!!

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    With a car like the TR (the one made in the 1980s), it's not, for me, merely a case of value. It's about what type of value is it. And it's about the TR's special place in the Ferrari mythos. It was *the car* to have twenty years ago, being an instant legend, classic, and hit all at once. You're not understated in any way with a TR. People will follow you home.

Aside from it's magnetic pull, the issue would be more about will you use it daily or for a weekend car. A 365/400/412 would be more the daily-driver, practical, type of Ferrari, a TR not so much. And then if it's a weekend-only car, then where are you going to put it.

3. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    best bang for the buck and the only car mentioned that will inc in value is the 512BB.
    if i was in the market for something in the 80k range i would go for a 360. i had one and it was bulletproof and not terrible to maintain. if i was in the 50k, i would go with the 355gts. great car but expensive to do major maintenance but you dont have the problems like the spider version. 40k i would go with a late 88-89 328gts, classic shape and it brought ferrari back(actually the 308 to be accurate). 20-30k you have a lot to choose from, 308, D308gt4, mondials,365gt4 2+thru 412s

good luck

4. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    TR!!.i recommend a 90 or later model!!

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The question is not what will depreciate or not. The question is what is the best bang for the buck in the current market. I still think the 360 is one of the best sports cars in the world and at current prices, it's a total bargin. Considering you can buy a new BMW sedan for more, it's hard to beat.

And, it actually works in the real world without excuses.

6. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    #31 TZ 750, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    I’ll add a slightly different note here, and suggest giving a look at the 456.

In 1962, I was a 16 year old living in Sarasota, Florida, and would have died for any kind of car,
    including a 1948 Plymouth 4-door with a badly running flathead 6-cylinder. Simply, a car was
    distance from parental oversight and access to the females.

A friend the same age was quite a photo nut, and was a serious car buff in the bargain.
    Somehow he was able to afford ( on his high school photo earnings) a
    Linhof Super Technica 4 x 5 camera with all the accessories AND repeated trips
    to Sebring to watch all the sports car races.

In 1962, his spring Sebring trip produced a portfolio of B / W photo’s of some of
    the fastest – and most beautiful – cars I had ever seen either in original photo’s or in person.
    The best of the best were Ferrari cars.

My favorite was (I found this out last month – having not seen a photo of that
    particular car for almost 50 years) a 1961 250 PF Cabriolet,
    black with black, shown with the top down.

In 1962, I know that someday, I had to have a Ferrari !

About this time in 2008, I discovered I could actually afford – with the
    economic downturn, and subsequent drop in asking prices – a modestly priced Ferrari.

I started looking.

Soon, the question came to: which one ?

My list was made small very quickly.

Had to be front motor – personal choice, but traditional.

Had to be 12 cylinder – again personal, but I wanted that 12 cylinder sound.

Price at or below $50,000.00. I figured that I could afford it I drove the living hell
    out of it for 10 years (I’m 65 years old now), and then wound up with a worthless
    steaming pile of junk, it would be OK.

Also, if the market took a really unexpected turn, and internal combustion engines
    were banned from federal highways in 2018, I wouldn't lose my shirt.

Had to be a 2+2. Not a true sportscar, but I already have a red sports car with 650 HP.
    Besides, fun to take another couple out in a Ferrari, and see if they ask ”What’ll it do?”

Cannot duplicate a car I already drive.

Wife will accept all the reasoning.

I found the perfect Grigio with Crema / Blue 1999 456M
    listed on eBay, at a dealer in Scottsdale, AZ,
    with 26K miles and recent belt service
    for $40,000.00.

On December 31, 2008,
    after waiting 46 years,
    I became a Ferrari owner.

Been lovin’ it ever since !

7. JF308

JF308 Formula 3

Jan 17, 2007
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    John Feeney
    Wow...Does sound inticing. Good luck with your 456

8. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #33 ryankjb, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    I was gonna say the 456, too. You get a $250K car for $40. They don't have the "look at me" style as the V8's or the TR, but as far as deals go....they're pretty hard to beat, IMO.

TZ750, congrats on the 456. They are gorgeous cars :)

9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    OK, I'll bite... how do you know, David? :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

10. enbanfe

enbanfe Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Princeton NJ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I also recommend the 456. It is a blast to drive (more comfortable than a V8 car, but with plenty of sportiness) and is (IMO) one of the most beautiful cars of the past 30 years.

11. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Check out my profile.

12. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I would go with the 360. If not, then 355 would be next choice but would not do F1 in either. Lots more maintenance costs with 355. If finances are a concern, I would do without until I could get what I really wanted.

13. effer

effer Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2004
    near Montréal
    Full Name:
    François R.

I see what you mean but OP said that he changes his car every two years or so, so like he meant, it must also be taken into account.

Here is his definition of ''value'' ( note that he did not use: best bang for the buck ):

''If you are looking for the best overall Ferrari "value" as defined by the combination of initial acquisition cost, avg maintenance, potential to "hold value or appreciate", and reasonable "Desirability"....whats the model to buy.''

In two years, those who bought a 360 todays will not be very happy ... This car will depreciate significantly for the two or three years coming, IMVVV...VVVHO.

This is why I would go for a F355 that needs nothing ... or a Testarossa.

Concerning the BB512 it is more a collectible car that will certainly appreciate a lot within 10 to 15 years; a good move if you intend to keep it.

14. Jackmb1

Jackmb1 F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2005
    IMO, I would go with a 92 to 95.

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Do you want to drive it or just "own" it. Honestly, the modern TR drives like a pig. It looks very exotic and can sound wonderful in a tunnel but it's heavy, cumbersome and very cramped for driver and passenger. There really are better cars out there if you want to drive an exotic. 550's are probably around the same price range and are much more car for the real world. Your experience has been in rear engined V8's. The TR is nothing like what you've had and I expect will be a disappointment dynamically.

I used to try and track mine and it's honestly lousy at high speed direction changes. I remember the front wheels lifting off the ground in simple slalom exercises.

A well sorted 355 coupe is also terrific driving car if you want the feeling of a mid-engined sports car, and certainly can be had for the same or less money than a TR.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    your posts are often brutally hilarious

LOL ahhahahahahaaa

your blatant, real-world, brutally honest insights about settle the issues for me; thank you ;)

It seems the modern TR is neither really a "driver's car," as is affirmatively the case for the 348/355, nor is it a gentleman's GT, as in the case of a 400/412 or 550. Looks like I don't have to get a TR.

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #42 PAP 348, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Bah, dont worry what others think of the Ferrari YOU want! :D:D

Buy whatever YOU like!! ;);)

I dont care if my 348 is bordering on being 'unloved' in comparison with a 328 or the 355. :):)

I love the 348 which is why I bought one. :):)

If I listened to everyone else I would have ended up with a 355. :D:D

(Not that there is anything wrong with that. :eek::eek:)

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Very nice. :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #44 Bullfighter, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    First, the secondary car market values things the way it does for a reason or set of reasons. Usually it has something to do with styling, service costs, availability and reliability. I think it's "optimistic" to assume that something has been overlooked by thousands of buyers and sellers. That said...

A 328 in the mid-$30K's is going to be an average-or-worse car, priced that way because it will look worn, probably needs mechanical refurishing and will appeal only to the Autotrader "look at me I got a Ferrari" crowd. The spread on 328s that aren't actively on fire is from ~$30K to ~$80K. The best value is probably nearer the middle of that range. An '86-early '88 car gets you the original looks without the '89 premium and hub cap-style wheels. Those early 328s, in great condition, are good value.

355s are cheap because the parts list was tailored to the Sultan of Brunei's budget, and they have a poor reputation for being affordable to run. Also, many of them are saddled with the old first-gen F1 paddle shift system -- the next 'Sportomatic' that people will be paying to get rid of.

TR's are cheap due to parts costs, maintenance costs and styling that many people find unattractive. And exploding differentials.

Yeah, you get a lot of cylinders for 308 money, but the market has spoken, and the market has said <$50K. That said, it's hard to find any car that has fallen so far, so if by 'value' you mean depreciation then yes, TR's are dirt cheap. Unfortunately, they are aging, and I suspect the rolling restoration costs on them will keep prices low for decades. Would I have one? Sure, but I would have it for the novelty and pleasure, not because it's some kind of overlooked bargain.

If you want a car that will hold value, I would look at either a really good 328 GTS or a '76-'77 308 GTB. Those are relatively simple cars, popular designs, and affordable to maintain by Ferrari standards. They're also great to drive.

As a driver, yes. As a keeper, too much aging electronic stuff -- and dated styling, IMHO -- to make it one to hang onto. But it is a more interesting daily driver than a comparably priced Merc CLS.

Given those three models -- 348, 355, 360 -- I'd probably try to step up to a Boxer or 308/328. The Daytona and 246 GTS are both expensive cars now. The Boxer and 308/328 are as close as you can get on a budget.

What he said.

20. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    I've had my 355 5 years best sports car I ever owned. I had a ac fan fuse blow and cat ecu fail is it concerning concerning problems. I had a lot more probs with my old 328 not to mention $300 dist caps 2 needed for tune ups and crappy old extenders that fail often.

TRs you need deep pockets to run one lots of expensive stuff to fail and they are labor intensive to fix. 360s are just starting to show their design flaws, variators that destroy your motor, headers and other issues id imagine from all aluminum chassis yet to show. The 430 sounds like a much improved design time will tell. All Ferraris are expensive and have great risk if they have a major failure.

21. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Best most logical post in this thread yet. I completely agree.

PDG

22. petearron

petearron Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 1, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    jeff
    And if you want something with performance that some little old lady in a SUV can't blow off at a light get a Boxer, BBs have had some wild price swings over the last 20 years they are surely to rise againpast old highs , All the rest will either hold their own and rise with inflation at best or are still gonna depreciate a lot.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    If value is defined as:

Final sales price / (acquisition price+ running cost)

and we are looking at relatively inexpensive cars... a glass 308 would be my bet.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I hope you're right, a co-worker of mine had a boss that sold his own 84 boxer up here in the early 90's for $440K. Im not holding my breath but that would be nice!

25. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Congratualtions...great story. I just turned 60 and still looking for my birthday present.