F355 Stereo/Speaker Specs | FerrariChat

F355 Stereo/Speaker Specs

Discussion in '348/355' started by jethoncho, Jan 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jethoncho

jethoncho Karting

Jan 3, 2010
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert A. Krauss
    I just purchased a 1999 F355 Spider that retains it's original sound system. It is very weak so I would like to modify it. I am trying to get speaker sizes and dimensions so I may replace them without cutting or altering the car. Can anyone help with these specs? Thanks!

2. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    Try doing a search to get additional info but I went with Alpine 6.5" speakers and they fit fine. You have to be careful with the depth since that makes the biggest difference to whether a speaker will fit or not. The big issue is the lack of bass. A few guys have fabricated sub cabinets to get a subwoofer in the car but there are very few places to hide one.

Best of luck.

3. jethoncho

jethoncho Karting

Jan 3, 2010
    Pompano Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Robert A. Krauss
    Thanks, I have searched the web high and low and can find very little info. I was going to build a sub enclosure to replace to small storage box at the back of the console (on the aft cabin bulkhead) as well as integrated rear speaker enclosure as well. My concern is the front speaks - I guess I will have to disassemble to get more precise specs. Thanks for the help!

4. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Search for the door panel removal to get at those. Or just ask Robbie - if you are redoing the interior, you are going to want to use www.stickynomore.com anyway.

There are tweeters behind the corner vents in the dash, pull the vents and you have access to those. If you go to the stickynomore sight there is some video help to get them out without ruining them.

Mine has been upgraded and sounds pretty good. I just have new door speakers and a Sony head unit. Granted, I never turn it on unless I am on a mindless highway drive. Otherwise, there is no point - the stereo is eight part harmony, heard best with the top off, windows down, and the loud pedal flat against the mat.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have owned my F355 for 7.5 years. It has one of the 500W-1000W stereos in it. Including the demo at the dealer before I bought the car, the thing has been one excatly three times in the 35K miles I have been in the car.

The Engine is the Music, and no sensible setero can possibly drown out the engine at full song (even wiht stock exhaust).

Illyria likes this.
  6. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
  7. 355 Shwing

355 Shwing Karting

Sep 9, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, Fl
    Full Name:
    Craig Payette
    MY GOD!!!!!!!!! You own a Ferrari!!! Why on earth would you even want a stereo in the car?!?!?!?!

8. FerrariDeeJay

FerrariDeeJay Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    Chino, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I replaced my stock door speakers with 6.5" Orion Cobalts Model # C0652. They are 50 watts RMS which is better that the stock 30 watt RMS. They are a component speaker and come with the Tweeter and crossover as well. I paid around $130.00/pair and installed them myself. The door speakers have a very shallow depth, I recommend you remove one of the stock units and take it with you to a stereo shop, since the magnets CANNOT be larger than the stock units or they will NOT fit without cutting the door. Also, be careful placing anything in the rear behind the seats, as your gastank is right behind the rear carpeted panel. One screw in the wrong place and you are really screwed! Good luck

Illyria likes this.
  9. f1karting

f1karting Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Jan H
    I took mine completely out.. speakers, amp, deck.. the works, and put it in my work van...
    It lightened the car 10lbs..
    Now it does 0-60 0.01sec quicker :)