Wireless Connection drops every few hours/minutes on PC, not on Mac | FerrariChat

Wireless Connection drops every few hours/minutes on PC, not on Mac

Discussion in 'Technology' started by amenasce, Jan 3, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have a wireless set up with Comcast, Linksys router, Dell laptop and Mac powerbook. When i use the net on my Dell, the connection will drop every now and then. It can go for as long as several hours or as short as a few mns. I usually have to switch off my wireless on the lap top for a few seconds and turn it back on to have internet again.

The mac never looses it so it's not a defective router or modem.

Any idea ? Im guessing i have to configure something more..

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    First step, always, is to make sure that you have the absolute latest drivers for the wireless card and the latest firmware revision for the router. (yes, I know the Mac works w/ the router w/ no prob)

Also, are you using the Windows zero config wireless client or the card manufacturer's application?

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Your modem might be set to reset every for hours or so. I know mine at home can be set that way. See if there's anything in the modem configuration (usually 192.168.1.1 for Linksys). No idea why it wouldn't be doing it on the Mac though.

Another possibility is that you have limited the amount of connections to your router and your PC is either trying to get on and getting rejected or is getting booted by something else trying to connect to your network. This happened to me a while back. I had my PS3, computer, blackberry and XBOX all on my network and when i tried to connect something else, it was getting rejected. I had limited the amount of devices on my network to something like 4 and when i tried to connect the 5th device it would reject it.

I'd also call comcast and tell them to reset your modem from there (they can do it) and to run a diagnostic test on the modem (they can do that too from where they are). I've never had a problem with Comcast customer service and they've always been willing to help me out

btw, the wireless card on my Dell blows and i've personally seen macs get full signals here in my office when everyone else with a PC can't even connect

4. jeffashcraft

jeffashcraft Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2006
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ashcraft
    I had a similar problem with my internet connection through Time Warner.

The 'factory' defaults on the wireless router setting only allowed a limited number of devices to connect to the internet at one time. I had 'gadget creep' over time and had too many devices trying to connect through my home network.

Once I changed 'devices allowed' to a higher number, the problem was solved.

---- remember to count blackberries, iPhones, XBox, Wii, total number of laptops (we have a total of 6 computers in the house), gameboys.....

they all add up

5. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    request a new router from comcast.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Thinking this may be the issue. I just switched from Verizon DSL to FiOS. Never had an issue with the DSL, but seeing a similar issue to yours with FiOS.

In my case, the drop lasts less than 1 minute, but it's a pain in the butt. Happens maybe 1-2 times a day (but not every day), although it DOES seem like when more devices are trying to access, it happens more.

7. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    He has his own router (the linksys). He might need a new modem but i have a feeling the problem lies somewhere in his router, not the modem

8. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    My guess is he needs to check what channel he is running. Probably getting some interference that the weaker dell wireless card can't cope with.

Your router has the capability to run on a number of different channels. Most come set by default to run on Channel 6.

There are programs out there you can use to scan for WiFi networks which will tell you how many networks are within range, their SSID (even if hidden), their signal strength, the router manufacturer/model/capabilities, and most importantly, the channel the network uses.

Once you do the scan, select a channel with no other networks, or the channel with the fewest networks in the router settings.

Betcha that clears up the problem without any hardware swaps. I do a scan every couple of months, or any time I notice my network start to lag. Keeps things running smoothly.

9. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Go to the power management settings in your network card and make sure "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" is unchecked. Had a friend with the same problem. Since I changed this setting, he hasn't had a problem.

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats a good point i hadn't thought of

11. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My roommate and I just had this same problem with comcast. Things would work fine for a day or several days and then we would just loose connection.

Be careful with the new modem, they sent us a new one and it was bad as well. It was downloading at 56k speeds.

COMCAST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    That can't be said enough. My experience with comcast was so horrible that I cancelled absolutely all my services with them.

Had the 16mpbs Comcast service, and switched to the Verizon DSL 768kbps service. I'll deal with the slower speed to avoid comcast.

13. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I forgot that one and it is basic to all of the computers I come in contact with - I always change this setting! Good tip.

As for all the other discussion - you have to start with the basics and if you don't have the newest drivers and firmware you may be wasting a lot of time troubleshooting. Always do the basics first.

OP: what model of Linksys router?