Metal frame building costs? | FerrariChat

Metal frame building costs?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Jan 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #1 GrigioGuy, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I -just- missed out on a property with a decent shop on it (and some sort of house too, as I vaguely recall...)

I'm not too particular about houses, so pretty much anything with space to build something like this works for me. I just need to know rough cut prices to add it to the environment.

I will be in touch with the metal building folks, but if anyone's built one recently I'd appreciate the info (cost, contractor, build time, etc.)

The one shown below is 30x50x(I think)20 high. It was insulated, had RV door at each end, and power.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bet you're bummed about missing the trampoline too.....

;)

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #3 jknight, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
    Tillman - stock show starts in a couple weeks and there's usually a couple metal building firms there with "stock show special pricing" - they are in the main exhibit area. Our shop has two double garage doors in front, a single garage door in back and hold four cars and lots of storage - it was already on the adjacent property when we bought the acreage. I know that purlin is pricey as is the metal sheeting based on some other projects I had done for the horses and the huge carport for my living quarter horse trailer (about five years ago it was @$3800). People a few miles down the road from us put up a large metal building (really big!) it has an enormous roll up door in the front and on one end. They put a loft in the building and converted the south part into living - it's a lovely set-up for two people. They were going to build a regulation house but like their current set-up they decided against it. In many of our agricultural publications we get there are always ads for metal buildings.

Carol

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I was soured by the whole metal building crowd when looking into them.
    Makes used car salesmen look like angels. No-one would even give pricing but "everything is on sale if you commit right now". Every single one had access to "manufacturers that were going out of business" and had inventories available at special pricing, What that was was never told to me.
    No help at all with set up/zoning/permits/pad etc etc. Just "buy my kit".
    Clowns.

I've researched used buildings since then and missed a 30x40 at $5k. That's the size I need.
    You have to consider pad, electrical, and plumbing in the package.
    The higher the wind rating the higher the cost as well.

5. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Tillman, my office is a metal building and really did not have a whole lot of problem with construction (except general contractor). On the way back from Houston we noticed a company advertising a 30 x 40 for $8400 down in the Red Bird area. Also a company just east of us is called Athens Steel and they say that they will build anywhere in Texas. I believe I still have their card at the shop.
    There are a couple of ways to go; you do the slab work to their specs and they come out and do the building erection. You can then contract with an Electrical co. to do the supply wiring and do the interior yourself.
    I was amazed at how fast they can go up.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #6 FarmerDave, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
    I've heard about a number of folks (often retirees) out here in rural west texas who, like Carol's neighbors described above, plan to build a custom home but first build an enormous, high quality barn. They plumb it for toilets and showers, and finish out part of it to live in during construction and to serve as a guest/MIL suite.

PS a high quality slab that size is not an insignificant part of the cost.

PPS hurry up and build something so the Scuderia Idiota, or whatever we named it, will have a race shop.

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Where are you looking?

8. B.Ratcliff

B.Ratcliff Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 23, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    B. Ratcliff
  9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    these are one of the folks that have a large display at stock show - usually any of the specials there save you big bucks - we got a great deal two years ago on a large Kubota tractor with several attachments....it starts the 15th.

Carol

10. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    The slab work is not all that big a deal--a lot of labor involved. Whereever you build you wil need to contact a pier drilling company to find out how deep the stable bed is-as that will dramatically affect the cost. You also must have the girder anchors when the pour is done (so the building plans will need to be in place) because they accurately locate the uprights that support the building. I have been involved in a couple of these slabs so give me a call if you have any questions.
    The night before the pour on my building I was making the "J" bolt spacers and found the mistake in the drawings that my general's engineer had done. Needless to say there was some serious conversation that morning.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #11 LightGuy, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    I just talked to a small local metal building outfit.
    They are promising a custom spec'd 30x40 with slab installed for $12k.
    I added a few do-dads so they are going to get back with me for final costs.
    This is only about $2k more than a bare kit.
    We'll see.

12. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 Axecent, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    I have a 36X48 insulated with three large overhead doors and a wall height of 14' and 18' ht in the center ridgeline. I poured the slab, did all the wiring and lighting and use it as a construction shop and storage area, and I installed HVAC and an office with bathroom, and galvalum roof with 2 controllable ridge vents and 4 skylights. In 1996 US$, all in with slab, I spent about $38K. I used the highest quality metal building supplier/construction company in these parts and my building still looks like it is brand new. The builder issued a 50 yr warranty on rust/perforation of ext metal.

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks for all the insight, much appreciated. Still looking for the right property...