$7k major service an the bill was one line, right to declare? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

$7k major service an the bill was one line, right to declare?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TomTerry, Dec 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Puncheeng

Puncheeng Karting

Sep 24, 2008
    By the Water OC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Is Ricci Films Jim Ricci?

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree, seems like a bare-bones receipt for a major service. Jiffy Lube provides more detail when they change the oil in a Toyota.

Not sure what the law is on that, but I know that when I had my 328 serviced at Bobileff they documented every ounce of fluid, washer, bolt, etc. It's an important reference that I passed on to the new owner. A one-item bill like the ones shown is pretty useless.

3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I wouldn't pay any shop that handed me a receipt such as you describe. A "major service" means different things to different people. Settling an invoice without details....heck just write them a blank check.

BTW - I opened the video attachment and immediately got an "intruder alert" notification.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #29 Rifledriver, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
    They are currently listed as delinquent. It only costs on the order of about $200 to renew and they mail you the renewal about 2 months in advance. They really have no excuse.

As for the legality of the repair order. That thing is the poster child of what not to do. In California we are required to have the BAR license number printed on the repair order. They are also supposed to have a palinly marked area for the estimate amount and it needs to be properly filled in. Owners name, address and car description with VIN and mileage should be on it. A specific description of all repairs performed, all parts and supplies used with their costs and part numbers. And last but not least an authorization signature is required or notes giving the legal reason no signature is required.

Next come the tax NAZI's. He is required to have a State Sellers Permit. He is required by law to collect sales tax and to do so he is required to list specifically the taxable goods he collected that tax for and the amount of tax collected.

The BAR is a pretty toothless Tiger these days unless it is a SMOG related matter but the Franchise Tax Board is anything but.

What you really have here is a non licensed repair shop fradulently collecting a bill when they have no right to do so.

I am surprised people actually do business with such flakey shops.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have met Brian Crall at the Reno Air Races and it enhanced my personal respect for him so I'm a bit surprized at him drawing conclusions based on the alleged, unsubstantiated claims by a new FerrariChat member. Be that as it may everybody has opinion and I'd like to add some personal data to the fray beyond what Mr Marvel has alleged.

I have known Carl Steuer, owner of Black Horse, since 1986 and I do not see him posting here, perhaps too busy to chat/argue? He has worked on my cars since then and I've received flawless, long lasting service. I have friends who have had prospective Ferraris PPI'ed by Carl and had great results for their 5+ years of ownership of the same Ferrari PPI'ed and the result was that they claim Carl made the right call on the purchase (of a Boxer, etc.)

I see an invoice that has been photo-shopped and posted by a FerrariChat member who has only 4 postings in total which I will not conjecture or dispute but I do find interesting.

If there is any question on Carl's abilities then perhaps we could also ask the knowledgable experts such as Rod Drew, owner of FAI in Costa Mesa where he mentored Carl as an intern in the 80's when I first met Carl. I've seen numerous high end Pebble Beach winners including the 50's era SA prototype of Bob Butler fully restored by Carl's hands. I've personally witnessed personal fabrication to a high skill levels and have even seen owners arrive and be IMMEDIATELY attended to to resolve Ferrari issues on a Saturday when it should have been Carl's day off.

I could go on, but perhaps you are getting my drift as I do tend to be verbose, apologies on the long posting.

6. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    #31 albert328gts, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009

As stated above, Carl and his crew are the absolute best, have been doing business with him since 2002 without ever having an issue or a problem. And will continue to do so, enough said...

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Others have had "different" experiences with Black Horse.

8. MarvelComics

MarvelComics Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2009
    #33 MarvelComics, Jan 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yes, that is true, their BAR license is showing as delinquent.

Illegal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. GreenLightAlwaysON

BANNED

Dec 20, 2009
    Russian SpaceStation
    Full Name:
    Vadim
    #34 GreenLightAlwaysON, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Name rings a bell.
    I was solicited recently from this shop through the mail. Possibly he works over there now?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ferrari sulla pellicola

ferrari sulla pellicola Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2004
    Los angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #35 ferrari sulla pellicola, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
    hey Sherlock,quit stirring the bucket and get your head out your ____first off "ricci films" is a page i started for my own fun!!it has nothing to do with BlackHorse other than ive shot stuff there and many other places using some of the cars from MY collection as well as personal friends cars.(some of the people here have actually owned several Ferrari's) and sure ill admit its crap footage to some just like this whole thread is crap!!and after taking a ribbing from actual film professionals i work with about how crappy my stuff is i could care less what other people think of my crap footage and clips... just like most could care less about this thread!!!.its sad that you folks have nothing better to do than continue to bad mouth this behind your fake identities and try to bring other people into the mix!!! remember in business you cant please all the people in the world so move on and get over it!!!

11. ferraritech_giuseppe

Jan 17, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe Cappalonga
    Todd is right! I recieved a call from a client informing me about this post. I have to apologize for the oversight and my mistake. Todd, I sent you the invoice by mail and I have called you to talk about his matter.

I have made a mistake and I am sorry. If for some reason you have not recieved the invoice please contact me directly so we can discuss this.

Thank you,

Giuseppe

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

On the state web site his status shows he has no auto repair license in force making it unlawful for that business to repair cars. Further 2 posters relate similar if not identical experiences with very improper paper work. If my comments on those two situations rise to the level of character assasination you and I have very different standards.

13. MarvelComics

MarvelComics Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 20, 2009
    I repeat, Invoice posted was not photo chopped.
    As previously mentioned, only personal information pertaining to person and car were blanked out for privacy reasons.

Stop making excuses, and address the question.
    Why are they operating with a invalid BAR license? (delinquent as of today)
    Are you saying it's ok to break the law? Do you operate in the same manner?

Please, address the real questions brought to the table here and stop thinking it's personal.

It's really very very simple.
    You're either within the law, or, outside the law.
    Why does everybody else have to abide by the law, but not ???

It's not personal, it's just business. :)

14. mjw599

mjw599 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jul 30, 2008
    A Chinese Democracy
    Has anyone had experience with Jim Ricci?

15. leonetti

leonetti Karting

Oct 22, 2004
    Woodinville
    Full Name:
    Mike Leonetti
    New posting user, no details of user and predominantly slanderous. Seems like an inentionally jaded second Ferrarichat userid or questionable rival.

16. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    22nd post in 6 years on a six month old thread. Not very prolific. Seems even stranger.

17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Robert, a bit weird?

18. GTPaul

GTPaul Rookie

Jun 8, 2010
    Del Mar, CA
    I am a General Contractor by trade and run into this all the time by subcontractors not itemizing detailed quotes. They are good contractors that don't have a clue on how to complete paperwork. You have a right to be concerned, but these shops live or die by their reputations.....go back and ask for an itemized receipt. I have been to many car dealers that are very good at itemization,but very poor in the quality of their service. Hopefully you have a very talented mechanic that failed his high school English class.

19. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Heard Jim had a cardiac event and wish him a fast recovery