Details on shipping US car to EU ? | FerrariChat

Details on shipping US car to EU ?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Hey, I want to ship my 07 Z06 to GR in April

My question has more to do with noise restrictions

I have a modded exhaust that is not super loud but definately louder than stock

Will I have trouble on the Autobahn or Autostrada or at the tracks in GR or IT with this

Should I swap my mufflers before I ship the car over ?

Thanks

2. Finance1Jose

Finance1Jose Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2009
    Car must be 100% stock as it rolled out of the factory. Must get all of the spec info from GM USA and submit it to the (GR) before importing. Best bet is using a container service. do not use RO-RO. if you do disconect. the Air flow meter and have the car run in fail safe mode as well have a set of 4 skinny donut spares and have the suspension raised. this way there will be no joy riding done to the car while its in transport.

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    William, do you want to import the car or just bring it over short term?

4. Finance1Jose

Finance1Jose Rookie
    BANNED

Oct 3, 2009
    Sent about 10 cars so far to CH and all I can say is WOW, do you guys get taxed on this stuff and shocking is the weight tax.

Prices I have seen on cars there new is just EXPENSIVE !

5. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Jose, are you in the US? If so I can understand you thinking cars here expensive compared to US prices. They are almost giving cars away over there ;)

But import to Switzerland is not bad by european standards. Mwst at 7.6% compared to 17.5% in the UK or 19% in Germany.

What did you pay for weight duty? I never had any problems for the cars I have imported. Off the top of my head it was about 20-30chf per 100kg.