anybody own a new cts v | FerrariChat

anybody own a new cts v

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ross, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just curious how it stands up to everyday use. does it surprise, disappoint...

2. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thx. that will be useful. however, reading about those cars on THEIR forum is always going to be a bit of a cheerleading excercise. asking on here means that people will have to compare it to other cars that they own in a more realistic manner.
    but i will give this a look. thx again.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    They are pretty and I hope to get 1 later this year

There is a 700hp black 1 on ebay now

4. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Here, then, from a guy who has a BOATLOAD of cars.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z06-discussion/2282440-is-the-cts-v-a-competitor-of-the-z06-heres-my-vague-review-with-a-few-pics.html

RMX

5. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    My Dad has one, and he will be driving it down from Long Island in two weeks to visit. I'll be sure to take a sprited drive and report. He LOVES it. He got a white one, already had teh windows tinted and got a cold air and exhaust.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I want one.

Supposedly there's one driving around Houston, cammed, etc. I've heard it lopes like sweetness.

7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Had it from December '08 to April last year.
    Did 4k miles absolutely trouble free,great traction for such powerful car ,even in the wet.
    Got the Caddy straight after SL65 and did not feel like any less performance by the seat of the pants but definitely more practical as daily driver (mainly because of better traction).
    Great handling,very tight car,pure pleasure to drive and own.
    Traded for CGT Speed since my wife kept nagging that I was driving a Florida retiree car.

8. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

You actually listen to your wife? :D

Down here in FL, the CGT **is** the ultimate retiree car.

RMX

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    She's still hot like nobody else (after 20 years) so arguing with her is not very beneficial.
    Getting the 599 was her idea and she is actually encouraging me to get the 458 so I can't complain really.
    CGT Speed was a very rational and practical decission ,with it's AWD and other attributes (not bringing any attention since there are so many CGTs around) in our nasty Chicago weather.

10. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    I am interested in these, too. I'm thinking of getting something American next, with lots of power & some exclusivity.

After dating a girl who left me for being "materialistic" because I like to own a different car each year... I can totally appreciate a wife who promotes Ferrari ownership! Bravo, brotha!

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #12 SSNISTR, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Was just gonna say that....

It is a nice car too though.

12. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 yzee, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #14 yzee, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Looks really good in that angle actually.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Drove a CTS V for @ 7 months and absolutely loved it . I think i had more fun with that car than any other that i've owned , other than the Ferraris of course :) . One of the great things about it was that it was truly a useable everyday car , but when you felt the need ..........all hell breaks loose . The car handled well , had plenty of HP , yet was a great 4 dr. sedan . 0 - 60 @ 4 seconds , and 12 second quarter mile times are an indication of the potential . The V coupe was discussed by Autoextremist.com ed. Peter Delorenzo : "we expect the 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe to be one of the most desirable high-performance automobiles of this new decade and an instant classic. Even better? It will be available early next summer. "

My suggestion would be to test drive one , and experience the car in person . I guarentee , it will put a smile on your face .

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The series 1 CTS-V had issues with the differential and axle tramp IIRC. I love the look of these and the power is amazing, and the fact that you can get a manual is icing on the cake.

I wanted a powerful sedan, and I didn't want something new, so I looked at the series 1 models. That issue scared me off and I ended up with a Lexus GS400. Not quite as quick, but I love the car.

17. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Looks like the 2006+ have a beefier diff. I'd also think that upgraded diffs are available for purchase?
    I had to look that one up - slang for "wheel hop"? If so, welcome to any powerful muscle car.

18. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yes - although my GS doesn't do that...

19. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    #20 wingfeather, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Apples to oranges. Your zero to sixty is about 7.6 seconds? Quarter mile is 14.5? I don't think the cars are meant to compare.

20. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    GS400 does 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and a low 14-sec 1/4 mile. 300HP, 4.0L V8, so I'd say definitely a comparable car. Maybe a little "softer" than the CTS-V, but was intended to compete against the BMW 540i.

My GS400 would smoke most "muscle cars" of the historic era. My point was about wheel hop / axle tramp. I don't get that in my car, and it's fair to say it's quite powerful for the time (MY 2000). I've also drag raced street legal monsters for years and never had that issue. It was a fault of the design in the original CTS-V, and why I was told to steer clear.

I believe it's been rectified, but it was an issue.

21. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    #22 SSNISTR, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
    Because it doesn't have anywhere near the torque of the V. Axle tramp is fixable on the V with about $200 worth of bushings....

Whoever told you to "steer clear" really doesn't know to much about them....

22. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    rdefabri, thanks for that clarification. All I know about your Lexus is what I found online. As stated above, wheel hop can be fixed. It is a common easy fix among the power crowd Mustang Cobra / Trans Am of today (not the classic muscle)... so I guess I wasn't phased by the mention of it. I am indeed glad you are happy with your car, and was not trying to start anything, but it is my opinion that the V is not tailored toward the same market. The new V's quarter mile is in the low 12's, which is golden (and more Corvette territory that luxury performance). The '06 model was mid-13's from what I read, which is Ferrari territory). Interesting vehicles indeed!

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I believe the wheel hop issue is gone on the new V . I never experienced it , but then i didn't try any 8k launches :)