Daytona Air Cleaner Cover Seal | FerrariChat

Daytona Air Cleaner Cover Seal

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Would anybody have good picture(s) of the seal/gasket between air cleaner housing and its cover lid on a Daytona, that would depict size, (profile) shape and location in somewhat verifiable original application ? Thanks !

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #2 Wheels1, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    There is no seal except that provised by the air cleaner element, as mentioned in the prev post, at least on the later air cleaner version.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Gents,
    thanks for replies, but I'm not quite convinced yet. It appears, at least to me, that by its design there perhaps should be some sort of seal/gasket/weatherstrip between outer edge of the lid and main air cleaner housing, preventing air or any particles to enter into air cleaner chamber through that "crack", which even in such occurrence would still place them outside of the filter element. It looks, to me at least, that the air introduced to air-filter and carbs is supposed to come only through the "snout(s)" of the air cleaner. I have two (later, U.S.) cars in the shop right now and I'm refinishing their wrinkle paints on these and other engine bay items. Both had some remnants of closed cell seal materials for this application. One of them had been replaced one time or another with something that did the "job" but didn't quite look right and others seal was mostly gone. I'm going to take a look at another unrestored car next week since my photo files of it don't tell me enough. Until then, please check Your car(s) and report back. Thanks.
    Timo

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #5 Wheels1, Jan 9, 2010
  6. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I used "SKU 50360 - Solid Ribbed Weatherstripping" from Eastwood for this seal on a 330GT. It is a high quality ribbed rubber seal that fits perfectly between the base and cover (at least on a 330GT). Before that, it had a foam seal that is typically used for A/C ducting and it didn't seal well and tended to stick to the cover so it came apart when removing it. This rubber seal is very high quality and the car ran much better once the properly sealed. I ordered it in Feb 2009, but don't see it on Eastwood's site at the moment. It might be worth calling them.

7. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I just looked at my 14729; NO seal. Car is unrestored and I have owned it for 37 years

8. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    #8 rauldejalapeno, Jan 12, 2010
    Timo, these photos are from 15293, currently in for brake repair. They clearly show the seal you are speaking about and the deterioration that occurs. Another car in my shop, 16565, has the same seal issues. I followed Peter's advice and gave Eastwood a ring. Sure enough, they have discontinued the ribbed weatherstrip 50360. I'm going to discuss this tomorrow with my body shop owner and see what he can come up with.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if the parts book does not show it, it is not present. maybe the filter element provides the seal internally?
    ed

10. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    The seal is indeed present, as my photos above show. It simply is not available as a spare part, nor is it supplied with a replacement element. It was only available with a new airbox. Now it is a matter of finding the correct material to replace it with.

11. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Randy,
    thanks. That looks about the same what was on these two cars I'm working on, except one had it in better and the other in lot worse condition. And yet, both of these air cleaner assemblies had been re-finished one time or another, hence my quest for pictures of
    "unmolested" (= unrestored/original condition) ones.
    I've already found some closed cell material that's close and will do the "job" for the time being, but the search continues...

Ed,
    I'm not concerned about the internal sealing, as I'm sure the proper element provides appropriately for it.
    And, with all due respect, as with so many other things regarding info/literature for these and cars (and life in general ?), just because it is or is not printed doesn't make it absolute.

Timo

12. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    Timo, I'll post photos of anything that I may come up with so that we can all consider its suitability for the purpose.

13. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I took a look in the garage and dug up the original packaging for the seals. I bought it from Eastwood, but the packaging indicates it's made by Bob Drake and looks to still be available at the link below.

http://store.bobdrake.com/newhotrod.html

You probably need the smaller of the two sizes offered (part number FG-200-20). The 330 has a different internal filter design (3 small circular versus 1 large filter on Daytona) but it ran much better once a proper seal was in place (presumably because the air now comes in from the snorkels as designed rather than having some air leak in from the top).

Good luck with it,
    Peter

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Peter,
    thanks for reply and good suggestion. It appears similar (but different) to the seal I found and, like the one I found, would probably do the "job" on a Daytona also, but still "no cigar". Search continues...

Timo

15. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Clearly you jest. I could probably write a short novel on the things that came in these cars that are not present in the spare parts book. Want to take a guess on many different fuel tanks exist for a Daytona? It's a whole lot more than you'll find in the spare parts book.

Steve

16. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    steve,
    no jesting. until that short novel is written which shows pix and sn documentation, i'll run w/out the seal. not comfortable at this time to run to the hardware store for weatherstripping and glue....
    ed

17. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    #17 rauldejalapeno, Feb 18, 2010
    Gents, here is our solution to the mystery seal. As discussed, some of your vehicles did not have this seal, while others did. We have just completed this airbox and laid in the seal material. It has an excellent apperance and density. The product we used is Dortite Permatite Part # 4650 (1/4" x 3/4"). It's available through Grainger's under part # 2EJR1.

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Randy,
    thanks for the follow-up. For the time being and to get the client back on the road (where the car belongs), I ended up using a similar product. Generic self-adhering automotive type weatherstripping (approx. 1/4" x 3/4", light-weight, high-density, closed-cell foam with smooth "skin" finish). But the search continues...
    Timo

19. rauldejalapeno

rauldejalapeno Karting
    BANNED

Apr 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy Bush
    Works. Good job, Timo.

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I went to see my car today and had a look, my car does have the see to.
    Grant