Not a Ferrari but.. | FerrariChat

Not a Ferrari but..

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Hazy, Jan 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #1 Hazy, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ...thought you fellas may be interested in mine and Radders race truck build. My little 7.5t Renault wouldnt carry our M3 CSL cup car (its too low/wide) so we have been looking for a truck up to £30k with living quarters to use this year (our 1st year in racing)

We came up completely blank, so I decided we gotta build our own, I found a coachbuilder to do the work, found a truck and a damaged late caravan, and the build starts next week. It will include 2 double beds, 4 bunk beds, onboard generator,onboard pressure washer, 250ltr water tanks, 3000w inverter, two LCD tellys, xbox etc etc etc. Building it ourselves we will be certain that it ticks all the boxes we require, so should be better (hopefully). I'll post pics as the build progresses (if anyone is interested :))
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Excellent, good luck. This will be an interesting thread. How long will it take to complete and when / where is the first race?

3. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    How much is the racing going to cost you?

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Should be an interesting project. I assume the caravan is to supply the living quarters?

Edit:- Any pictures of the race car?

5. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    http://www.cslcup.com/calendar.php

:cry: thousands mate, thousands, we have another car to buy/prep yet, we split all the costs 50/50, so it makes it more palatable, but still expensive. The honest answer is I dont really know, its our first year, but basically, got the cost of the cars (50k), cost of the truck (£50k when built????), membership fees, then approx, and I mean approx, £1500 per meeting?

6. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #6 Hazy, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Excellent stuff. I will be following your progress and this thread with interest Adam.
    All the best

8. F328GTS

F328GTS Formula 3

Apr 27, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Nigel R
    Me too, might even pop over to Snetterton May 8 or 9.

Are you sharing the driving? How will that work, just keep swapping one race each?

9. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    yes until have have the second car up and running :)

10. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Will try and come along to BNrands as it's only 30 minutes away.

Did simpsons set up your suspension as well?

11. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Looks great mate, Al can do a great paint job for you:)

12. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No mate, car was set up by Thorney Motorsport

13. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    has he got provision for stuff this big mate???

14. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Good point, but Al can just about get around anything :)

15. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I have emailed him, its the height that may be the biggest problem(3.9m) plus I have got a real good price to paint it from my commercial bodyshop....

16. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Driving the car after piloting that powerful beast is going to be a bit of an anti climax Adam Couldn't you find an FH16 Globetrotter to cut and stretch? ;)

Only kidding. Look forward to seeing the end result. I note the usual Scania affliction of smashed sunvisor on there as well.

17. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Nice one, what a cool conversion. Puts my ex iceland delivery van to shame :D

18. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    yeah how the hell do they all manage to do that? LOL

I found a really nice 420 with the topliner cab, was VERY tempted to buy it and stretch it, but it was loads of extra money for another 200 brake.......actually thinking about it...LOL

I can only do 56mph anyways ;)

Nice to see you over here BTW mate

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    No doubt you have your first mod planned for the truck....... a 420 badge to replace that 220 one :D

The deflectors were a weak point on the 4 series. The wind exerts a strong pressure upon it causing it to flex and cracks form. It's then only a matter of time before they shear off. The other thing they don't like is automated truckwashes with front brushes. Lost count of the number of visors I had break when the wash went out of alignment. Later models had a better and stronger design of visor. R series was much improved again. I'll get my coat now ;)

20. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    :D:D:D

21. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D:D:D

I run a fleet of Scanias virtually now, so fairly familiar with the pros and cons of them. The only thing I am a little unsure about is the removal of the cab suspension so it doesnt move independantly of the body coz of the cut through being done from the body to the cab?? Thinking the ride might be a bit harsh?

Re: The badge, I got a V8 580 badge to get the drivers yapping LOL!!

22. Hud

Hud F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just get a well sprung drivers seat mate :)

23. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I got a well padded rrse, should be fine :D:D:D

24. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Give Pete McGowan at TruckEast Scania in Wellingborough a call Adam. His old boss Derek Jones converted a 3 series Scania rigid into a motor home in the 90's and took the back of the cab off making the cab integral to the body. Pete should either be able to contact Derek to ask how it was done or some of the staff at Truckeast will remember. Tell him Iain Stewart told you Pete would be the font of wisdom on it. After he's stopped swearing I'm sure he'll laugh :D

Personally I'd design a body that wasn't integral to the cab as it will be far cheaper and give you a lot less headaches for cab tilting, watertightness etc. I know a guy who did a lot of paint and repair work for the F1 teams on their custom transporter trailers (he did Jordan, Williams I think, Good Year etc) so let me know if you want his contact details for advice etc.

25. Hazy

Hazy F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 12, 2005
    England
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks mate, byut the design etc and build is already underway, dropped on a gem of a guy, the type who gave me all the right answers before I had even asked the questions!! He built this (I only found this out after I had decided to use him)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220536065974&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT