Steve McQueen Rolex | FerrariChat

Steve McQueen Rolex

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by CollectorMorry, Jan 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    I hate to use the 'I' word here, but does anyone think buying this watch at US$20K (mint with papers, box, etc.) is a good investment? Or has the market peaked?

The Rolex Explorer II [ref. 1655] officially known as the 'Steve McQueen Rolex'

Thanks for pulling out your crystal balls.

Morry

2. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    the vintage Rolex market has peaked for now. And I think you'll see prices trending downward.

The Steve McQueen Explorer II is rare, but there are 1675 GMTs with Exp dials and hands posing as 'Frankenstein' watches. Most buyers never know.

If you can get a truly pristine example with boxes/papers, then it may be a reasonable long term bet.

Just my 2 cents!

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Don't do it. Waay high.

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'd tend to agree that 20K too much.

Rolex's prices are a bit past a peak (Last year Red 1680 Subs were 15-20K, now they are 8-15K).

If you want to dump money on a vintage Rolex, I'd say stay with a Cosmograph/Daytona or the Subs. On the cheaper side, Air King Dates have been getting some traction.

Please note, I am notorious at being bad at market predictions.

Best,
    dsd

5. arezzo

arezzo Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2003
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    SH
    Should be in the USD 10k to 13k imho range depending upon condition and completeness and look out for those service Luminova dials, that can be costly mistake by a novice when acquiring one, tritium with patina all the way.

Great watch, I had mine for a couple of years which is saying alot as I can never be faithful to one :)

S

6. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
    Thanks. So most feel they have peaked? One in great condition just sold at Sotheby's a few months ago for 18 000 Euros.....

7. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    A close friend purchased one late last summer from a private party with the original sales receipt and warranty paper for $9K. The watch was in 80-85% and was missing boxes, manuals, and hang tags.

He by the way is an avid vintage Rolex collector has been selling replaceable pieces with the thought hat prices will continue downward for a while.

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've got a 1965 GMT with gilt dial and small 24hr hand if anyone is looking for a vintage 1675!

9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'm after a Paul Newman Daytona at the moment.

10. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I've been a fan of the milgauss for quite a while... thoughts?

11. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I like the originals. A bit too pricey in my opinion. I saw a 1980 vintage for 24k.

-dsd

12. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree-- that's too much. The new ones are nice and very clean for $6-8k, but $25k puts you into seriously competitive territory.

13. SFchallenge

SFchallenge F1 World Champ

Jun 28, 2004
    Sgp, KL, HK & London
    Full Name:
    Jon Wijaya
    Mint with box & papers is probably about US$20K now but if you're looking for a light user, pay for a cheaper one instead without the extras.

They were only US$3.3K+/- when I had them in '99 & I had like six of them! Geez.

14. graham whitelaw

Jun 24, 2010
    i have a 1655 steve mcqueen from 1980 whitch i would like to sell any offers its in original state hands dial etc, nice patina graham [email protected]