Candidate for the Oregon Supreme Court! | FerrariChat

Candidate for the Oregon Supreme Court!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by 2000 456M, Jan 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    About 3 weeks ago, Justice Gillette made a surprise announcent that he was retiring, creating a vacancy on the high court and I officially filed my candidacy just before year end.

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/eim/cfDetail.do?page=search&cfRsn=8207

For the past ten years, I've been presiding over some of the most complex cases in the state (I'm currently overseeing the Verizon/Frontier telecommunications asset transfer application) and, unlike any other appellate judge in the state, I have wide private sector experience, not just university, government or law firm employment.

If you google my name, you'll get a pretty good idea of what I've been up to professionally for the past 17 years. (speaking of which, I purposely didn't put my full name in this post because a google search directing people here might be a distraction to the campaign).

I hope that you will get the word out. The Oregon Code of Judicial Conduct forbids any judicial candidate from personally soliciting campaign contributions, but I am allowed to have a registered campaign committee:

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/eim/sooDetail.do?sooRsn=47790

In the interest of full disclosure and so you can make a more informed choice, I thought you should also see the filing of my opponent:

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/eim/cfDetail.do?page=search&cfRsn=8266

Since the election is nonpartisan and there will most likely just be the two of us running, whoever gets the majority of votes in the May primary wins. I hope you'll be there for the election night party in May.

Allan

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Good luck, Allan!

3. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks, Don. I know I've got a big job ahead of me.

4. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#4 BLAMPEE, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
    Yes, Allan! Good luck! My mother was a JA for one of the Supreme Court Justices for a few years in her 20-year JA career. :)

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Best of luck Al.

6. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks, guys. I've been involved in the interrelationships of politics, regulation, law and public policy for most of my career, but this is the first time I've run for office.

7. $$$=SPEED

$$$=SPEED F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2004
    Portland, Or. USA
    Full Name:
    Depends who's asking
    Best of Luck Allen,. I let me office knwo who they need to vote for and will get the word out. You got my vote!

8. MordaloMVD

MordaloMVD F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2005
    WA
    Full Name:
    Michael von Ditter
    Good luck Allen. Even though we occasionally disagree I still think you are a good and honest man. :)

9. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thanks, Michael. I strive to leave any politics behind when I'm on the bench; it's all about the intent of the founders and legislators and the plain meaning of the law rationally applied to the facts. Except that judges can sharply differ as to what that means, which is why opinions are not often unanimous. Recently Scalia and Ginsburg were on the same side of a case--in the minority.

10. 4RE42

4RE42 Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2006
    Salem, OR
    Full Name:
    Michael & Melinda
    allan,

michael here. I know that a wise voter examines pro/cons of each issue/candidate. However, I just like the idea of having another F-car in the Salem area.

you have my vote - yes, I can be bought VERY easily as long as it includes F cars.

Also, we just found out that our second child (june 10, 2010) is going to be a boy. that is two Ferrari "future pilots." Melinda and I may need to borrow the 456 from you.

michael

11. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The back seat of the 456 is great for kids; I think there's a thread on which child safety seats fit best.

However, for obvious reasons, candidates for judicial offices cannot and should not make campaign promises. ; )

12. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Allan,

Congrats on your candidacy and good luck on the campaign trail!

Best,
    Tad

13. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Which Case was that Alan?

-scousineau

14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #14 2000 456M, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Actually, it was a 5-4 majority strange coalition last year that is to be revisited with a likely different result. Sixth Amendment Melendez-Diaz v. Mass 129 S.Ct. 2527 (2009), and the right to confront the lab technician on test results for cocaine. I had heard that a case turning on the same issue was recently granted certiorari in all probability only because Sotomayor had replaced Souter and THEN assuming the other justices keep their prior stances, Ginsberg and Scalia will be in the minority.

15. FerrariGuy2007

FerrariGuy2007 Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2007
    Beaverton, Or
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Smith
    Best of Luck Allen