Any Oakley Collectors here? | FerrariChat

Any Oakley Collectors here?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Kelsa, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Seems like no one ever brought up about Oakleys/Sunnies

I got about 6 pairs of X-metals, 2 pairs of Romeos and 4 pairs of XX. One of the Romeo is under going repaint to the Reventon color with Ruby/Purple Lenses.

Any of you guys LOVE your Oakleys? :D

2. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I love my Oakleys, don't wear them with suits but I do enjoy them for sport. Have aluminum Straight Jackets with fire lenses, silver Whiskers with grey lenses, white Crosshairs with grey lenses and the Ducati edition Juliets with ruby lenses.

3. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    i have about 30 xmetals. all of the juliets including special editions, ducati etc, 2 romeos, 3 romeo 2.0, 2 XX, 2 mars, 2 half x, 2 pennies, 2 over the tops. i guess i am obsessed. i hate that they dont make them much anymore

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I LOVE my Oakley M-frames. Had them since 96. :eek::eek:

5. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Arh yes! Its a shame that Oakley don't make anything that you can wear with suits for more formal occassions. Bit too sporty.

6. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    WOW !!! One of the problem with Romeo is the Flex point of the frame, easily cracking the lenses. I got a pair of replacement, and they don't seem to fit :-( I think i have to pick up the replacement ones made in Japan.

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have two pairs:

Juliet (X-Metal/Ruby lenses)

Splice (Juan Pablo Monoya edition or whatever you want to call it)

Does anyone know if the Ruby lenses changed over the years? Mine have a slight purple hue to them which I saw a couple ads on Ebay stating these were earlier models. Is that info accurate?

8. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    The Whiskers are the only ones that I might be able to get away with wearing with a suit, but it is stretching it a little, you tend to look like an FBI agent when you do that!

9. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    Hi dude, I maynot be correct, but from what my understanding is Ruby Iridium Lenses comes with various degree of flares of other colors, lenses serial number goes from SKU 03 248, or 252, 253 etc etc. Exactly what color hue each one is i have no idea.

I wish Oakley would continue with the X-Metal concept and go further. BTW, i don't think they have any replacement parts for discountinoued x-metals.

10. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    hmmm i wish another company would start making glasses in an updated style of the x-metals if oakleys stop making them.

one for each occassion :D

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow F1 Rookie

Sep 25, 2006
    Txass
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I swear I have 20 pair of sunglasses. I may consider opening-up a sunglass shop somehwere--wonder how the margins are. Forget the franchise BS; margin killers is what I call 'em.

12. f355red

f355red Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    K-town NC
    Full Name:
    todd tanner
    they can vary greatly. i have to pair of juliet emeralds and one is actually a light blue which i prefer to go with my azzurro 430.
    they can do repairs as i recently sent off 2 pair for joint repair/replacement

13. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Two pairs of Oakleys. One Romeo (Plasma/Fire) and one Juliet (X-Metal/Ruby).

14. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    of all the sunglasses, oakleys just bore me.

15. 4ARI

4ARI Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Northern, VA.
    Full Name:
    Ron S.
    Just got my first pair (mars) same as the ones that Goldberg wears on Bullrun.
    Can anyone advise me on how to remove the existing lenses so that I can change them out to my spare lenses.
    Thanks,
    Ron

16. Kelsa

Kelsa F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2005
    Adult Toy Land
    Full Name:
    Crazy Chinaman
    i'm sure others can add to this, but the mars has got the similar config as the XX, Juliet lines. there are two little screws 5 and 7 o'clock on the bottom of the frame. I forgot if they were t6 screws like the other x metals or a flat bed. i've got a feeling its the latter.

anyway, turn it slowly, and i believe there is a C spring in there somewhere that easily breaks ( i could be wrong). once you've disassemble them, lenses comes out and in the new ones.

if they are made to fit, they should go in very nicely, some aftermarket ones require some fiddle around. then screw them back up, clean the lenses and all done :D

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I have four pair - M Frames, E Wires, Thumps, and another of the plastic frame that I dont remember the name of.

I like 'em. Just wish I didnt wear regular glasses so much so that I could enjoy the Oakleys more.

PDG

18. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    They are different. Was just at the O store in the Twin Cities and happened to meet the midwest manager. The new lenses have a new coating, lighter hue, that are more finger and water repellent than the old. I liked the older color a bit better.

19. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not a collector, but picked Oakley Whiskers for my prescription/reactions eyewear due to the high quality, correction of peripheral vision, and protection from projectiles. :)

Very happy with them. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

20. masterflex164

masterflex164 Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2004
    New England
    Got a pair of Oakley prescription eyeglasses right now on the Socket 4.0 frame. Durable. Love them!

21. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Does anyone know where I can get a pair of vintage Frogskins from the 80's? I had them all back in the day, Blades, Razorblades, Mumbo, M frames, even the ones that looked like ski goggles but never had the Frogskins. I lost interest in the new models a few years ago but I do have a pair of E wires and I think the others are straight jackets. They were all awesome for skiing, almost indestructible when you bailed and the quickly interchangable lenses were great when the sun went down.

22. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Not nearly as fanatical as some, but...

Square 2.0s black/black with nice clothes, Romeo 2 black/black with everything else.

I still have some neon chartreuse/ice iridium M frames from the early 90s... haven't worn them since then but can't just throw 'em away... ;)

eBay is your best bet for some old Frogskins.

-Tad

23. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have one pair that I use for baseball, a custom pair of Radar's from Oakley.com. I even went as far as having my last name engraved on the lens. They are chrome frame with purple lens and purple O's. It's the last time I will buy a pair of Oakley's for a few years. So damn expensive! Although I would love a white pair of Gascan's. Even though I'd probably never wear them! ;)

Chris

24. Will

Will Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I was just checking out a pair of the Oakley Straight Jacket glasses...I like them except the word "polarized" is etched in the left lense at the bottom which annoys me because I can see it in my peripheral vision. Do all polarized Oakleys have this etched in the lense?