Winter Driving in snow areas? | FerrariChat

Winter Driving in snow areas?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Xecution, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xecution

Xecution Karting

Jun 20, 2007
    South Easton, MA
    Full Name:
    John J.
    I am personally from the school of drive it, you can't take it with you! But here in New England driving a Ferrari in the winter is frowned upon. Now of course I am not talking about driving on snowy roads, but when the road has been cleared for a while, why not? I am sure the answers have to do with salt and sand, but a good detail shop that puts your car on a lift and cleans the underbody would take care of that. I love the way a Ferrari drives, I just can't stand only having the joy of looking at it all winter! What are your thoughts on this fellow Ferrari owners?

2. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Stones, Cinders, Salt, Dirt, Debri of all sorts, condensation, etc to name a few

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    As you said it, as long as you have it cleaned before you put it back in the garage where the snow will melt and leave the salt on.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- No reason at all. I drove my Dino 246 GT in the snow and the aggressive XWX tire treads and weight distribution helped it work great in the snow.

Do not think about doing it without fitting snow tires, however. The summer tires fitted to our cars now have virtually no traction at temperatures around or below freezing. Ferrari recommends Pirelli Winter Tires for most of the late cars, and Bridgeston Blizzaks would work just as well if you can find the correct sizes. Here are th erear Pirellis at TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?search=true&performance=W&width=275%2F&ratio=40&diameter=18&x=8&y=5

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My Dino too was exposed, but after 2 nose jobs, door seals rusting and rear light assembly rust it was time to say no!
    Docf

6. ginsuguy

ginsuguy Karting

May 4, 2006
    Don't know about anyone else, but my 360 sounds different when the temp is below 60. Seems to be laboring and the cabin noise is increased. I have had some days here in ne that were below and above 60, in the same weeks to test this out. Call me crazy but I can tell the difference. Hope I am not doing any damage?