Title chances are better at McLaren. | FerrariChat

Title chances are better at McLaren.

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Jenson Button says his early experiences with McLaren have left him more upbeat about successfully defending his title than if he had remained at Brawn GP.
    The world champion has been on the receiving end of criticism about opting to go up against Lewis Hamilton at McLaren rather than stay on with the outfit that took him to the crown in 2009, but he is totally convinced he has done the right thing.
    "If I was at Brawn still, I would go into the season positive, but not as positive as I am now," Button said at the AUTOSPORT International Show in Birmingham.

I am sure that Ross Brawn will be pleased to hear that!!

I wish I knew the exact reasons why Button felt compelled to move to McLaren, into a team that is moulded around Hamilton.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You expect him to say something different?

3. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well Ross let Merc buy his team, which wanted German drivers and so it was more than likely he showed JB the door, so he won't give a stuff, that is the reason why.

He is better off at Mclaren, as he won't be forced to run 2nd fiddle to the great man MS, simple IMO.

Mclaren maybe built around Lewis but IMO I think he has a better chance at racing Lewis than MS at Merc, it was a no go anyway so no point.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True.

Button's title chances are marginally better at McLaren than at Merc.

Reality is however, that he'll remain a one time WDC and should be grateful for that.

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    exactly !!! he's in front of a large crowd on a stage what else would he say?? and I agree with Andreas too.

Carol

6. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Rubens and Eddie among others would jump right in and back you up on this. ;)

7. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    I personally always saw Button as a possible one-hit wonder in a superior car and never saw him gaining multiple WDCs...

Many would say that JB would be FORCED to play second fiddle at Mercedes. At least at McLaren he has a chance to fight for the No.1 slot (just very few people think he'll be able to match Lewis's speed).

As others have said, out of the frying pan and into the fire...

8. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yup..:) It takes a special kind of person to agree to play a supporting role to the star act for years, I know I couldn't do it.

+ The fact I just don't think it's fair, or as we would say or here "It just ain't cricket" :)

Mid/late season the team does the maths and gets behind the best guy for the title push is acceptable IMO, but still not in the rule book AFAIK.

However life isn't fair I accept that.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Absolutely; and his 2009 championship was just a fluke in my book .

Against the odds, Brawn hit the ground running early in the year thanks to a clever interpretation of the regulations no one else had exploited, bar Williams I think, and gave Button instant success without much effort from him.

Once the loophole was clarified and other teams caught up, Button could hardly contain the competition and was lacklustre for the rest of the season, returning to his normal position - mid-field.

I never knew such undeserving WDC!!

Without being a worshipper of Hamilton, I think that he will run circles around Button who never appears to be very motivated in anything he does.

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Exactly. McLaren are now paying Button's wages so his loyalties now lie there. He needs to publicly tow the line for the team. In any case, even if he thought strongly otherwise - he's not going to throw his hands up and go: "I made a huge mistake".

Let's not forget the pre-season talk from Lewis Hamilton this time last year when he said that the McLaren to contend the 2009 title was a pretty car and that pretty cars are almost always fast cars. Well... pretty is debatable, but that thing was a huge disappointment until they rescued the aerodynamics towards the end of the season with major updates.

The drivers themselves are probably the least qualified to give you an honest/accurate assessment of a car amidst the pre-season launches. We'll have to wait until we see some practice session lap times for any real measure for respective chances.

Everything else is just gossip and hearsay. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Pretty much confirmed by this statement: Ross Brawn has tipped Michael Schumacher to become this year's world champion on his return to Formula 1 action.

( From :http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80955 )

If I was Nico I'd be a bit pi**ed reading this!

12. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't forget Ross still owns part of the team. He's not just an employee this time. There's no way he would throw away a championship (and the $$$ that come with it) by backing the wrong horse. He knows a bit more than us average fans do.

And if Nico really is faster he'll get the support he needs to win.

13. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yeh like even you could do it :rolleyes:

14. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    exactly right.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    But surely it would have been better to declare: "Either one of My drivers could win the Championship this year". As the statement reads to Me, it doesn't show much support for Nico's chances. Basically I see it as: "Nico's got no chance of beating Schumacher, let alone anyone else!".

Like I say, If I were Nico, I would be pretty pi**ed off reading this.

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed.

17. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    No you wouldn't. Because if you were Nico you'd have a long line of beautiful women willing to console you... ;)

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Hey!, just because I'm not Nico doesn't mean I don't need consoling by a long line of beautiful women!. If anything, it means I'm in even greater need! :D

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    What, Britney? :D

20. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I disagree. 2009 was a very different season, diff car, rules, etc. And for the rivals to catch Brawn, no major thing, IMO. They stopped developing the car, was operating on a tight budget (compared to RedBull & Mclaren). Button did great.

He won the title smartly. He didn't risk anything for no reason, and the WDC was his reward. I'm not a big Jens fan, but i do appreciate his effort, and WDC, especially after 2 horrible seasons he went thru with Honda. Most of us would just call it quits and walk away. But not Jense. He decided to keep fit, stick around, and it's probably the best decision he's taken.

21. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1

22. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    She just needs someone who truly cares about her and can reassure her that's she's genuinely loved!. :)

To be fair I think there was an element of luck involved for Button from the start, with the Mercedes engine matching the chassis so well and then the double diffuser decision going their way, but I wouldn't describe him as being undeserving. Yes, he struggled at the midway point, but he did what he needed to do and his race in Brazil was worthy of a Champion in My opinion. I still think however that if the double diffuser decision had gone the other way, Vettel would have been the Champion.

23. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    I think he wants to buy low and sell high with Brawn GP and McLaren...

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Absolutely!! Brawn and Button were extremely lucky that their car wasn't found illegal and their initial success nullified.
    Many were banking on that!

Vettel is the moral winner for me, like Massa was the previous season.

25. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Many were hoping that because when up against a genius like Ross Brawn, who by finding a loop hole in the rules by studying them carefully, and not only that he tried to explain them before hand no one would listen, Button was the man to drive the car and I believe Ross had faith in Button and he was right, like it or not and I know who's word I would take and it aint yours.

Try finding another excuse, for explaining the success of folk you don't like other than LUCK!.