Lexus LFA - $350k - by invitation only | FerrariChat

Lexus LFA - $350k - by invitation only

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nsxnick, Jan 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nsxnick

nsxnick Formula 3

Jul 24, 2001
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #1 nsxnick, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/108609/lexus-350000-sports-car?mod=family-autos

Lexus's $350,000 Sports Car
    by Lee Hawkins
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010
    provided by

In an effort to create exclusivity, buyers of Lexus's LFA "supercar" must be approved by the brand; those who don't plan to flaunt the car need not apply

The $350,000 Lexus LFA was one of the most buzz-generating vehicles at the ultra-luxury "Gallery" exhibit during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week. Coined the "two-seat supercar" by Lexus, the vehicle sits at the top of Lexus's "F" portfolio, its line of high-end sports performance vehicles.

But simply having the $350,000 to buy one of the 500 LFAs Lexus plans to produce won't be enough: Buyers must be tapped by the company to be owners. People selected to purchase the car will be based on factors such as the other cars they own, where they live, and how often and where they drive. Potential buyers must apply through an authorized Lexus distributor.

Lexus first introduced the LFA as a concept car at the 2005 Detroit auto show. LFA deliveries will start in early 2011, and only 20 of the hand-built cars will be produced each month, up to the maximum quantity of 500. Production starts in December at Toyota's Motomachi plant in Japan, and buyers can customize their cars with various colors and wheel designs, among other options.

On the road, the LFA will be able to accelerate from zero to 60 miles per hour in 3.6 seconds with a top speed of 202 mph, thanks in part to its 10 cylinder, 552-horsepower engine. The car is also made of strong yet lightweight carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, which makes it about 220 pounds lighter than an equivalent aluminum design.

But in the end, the car's success may hinge on its exclusive ordering process and scarcity -- a tactic meant to boost the carmaker's image with the monied ultra-luxury set. While Lexus has built a respected reputation in the mainstream luxury market, the company has yet to successfully penetrate the ultra-luxury and performance car sector and compete with brands like Porsche and Lamborghini.

"We want people who will drive the car, who will be seen in the car," said Paul Williamson, national manager at Lexus College, Toyota's dealer training school. "We want it to be seen on the right roads, in front of the right restaurants and not just being enjoyed by one individual in their private garage."

Mr. Williamson said Lexus expects to sell about a third of the 500 vehicles in the United States.

2. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Interesting buzz tactic by Lexus. Wonder how many egos will be duped into forking over $350k?

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Probably 500.

4. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Maybe in time. The real question is whether or not they can get 501+ applicants. I say no.

5. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Is it legal to discriminate in this fashion?

6. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Ferrari did it with the Enzo no?

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This is nauseating. Let's see, how can we use marketing to compensate for our ordinary looking $350,000 coupe that can almost run with a Porsche 911 Turbo...

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I read all 138 in Japan are already spoken for. I must say, while it's performance is not groundbreaking it does look cool and is different. I like it alot more then the GT-R. Just needs to be $100,000 less.

9. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    like soo many other products...

10. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Apply to have the right to buy an overwrought, overpriced, over-hyped, heritage challenged Toyota?

Good luck with that plan.

11. atomstrange

atomstrange Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2005
    Lenexa KS
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    In this price range, its a joke to compare this to a carrera gt.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I actually think this car will do very well in America, Lexus has great brand loyalty and a lot of mid life crisis types will be enticed by a "supercar" that drives like their LS460.

side note, I was at a Lexus dealer recently, there is not a single Lexus product I would spend my money on. It's amazing how generic their products are, but apparently that sells....

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    +1, my mom has a '99 ES300, it's not too bad, but very plain, it some power but no flair. And it's beige. I'm pretty sure hers is the lowest mileage '99 ES300 out there. It just hit 50,000 miles when we took it to Georgia.

On Top Gear, when they drove it, they said, Lexus is losing money selling it, even at such a high price.

14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they're all beige...or silver...or gray. does your mom not drive much or just forgets she owns such a boring car? :)

I'm sure they are losing money when you factor in development costs, but the R&D pays off in the long run.

15. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Her work is inside the neighborhood (she's a teacher), it's around a 5 mile drive.

True about the R&D, let's just hope Lexus changes for the good.

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned quite a few Lexus SUV's, and like the brand, but I would not pay 100K for that car let alone 350K, and whoever does is really desperate for attention.

17. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
  18. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    When you look under the hood, do all the components still say "Toyota" on them?

19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Millions and millions spent on development.

Maybe they should have tossed a $20 to a exterior designer.

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree. If this looked as good as an 8C they'd have a chance at 200K.

Looking as it does at 350K IMO they don't.

21. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    is it that soft???

22. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D

A lexus dealer told me that in Jpn theres more demand than the allocation for the country.

23. Guibo

Guibo Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    "To no one's surprise, in the three months that have passed since the official introduction of the LFA at the Tokyo Motor Show in October 2009, the number of formal expressions of interest in purchasing the $375,000 V10 supercar is already far greater than the limited production run of only 500 examples, Toyota's subsidiary announced today."
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/01/lexus-lfa-early-customer-interest.html

Exclusivity has more to do with the price than the looks. A Veyron doesn't look like a $1.7M car, nor the Reventon a €1.2M car, to me. But to the people who do like the looks and can afford them, the price is worth it if they like everything else.

24. Guibo

Guibo Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Most reviews comparing it to a 599 say the Lexus is sharper, more nimble, and handles better. A few have compared the driving involvement to that of the Scuderia.

25. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    IIRC, one thing that made it so expensive and took so long to create was that they developed every single part from scratch (for whatever reason).