Magnum PI 308 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Magnum PI 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Davvinci, Jan 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    #51 308GTS, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
    No, they did use an 83 308 QV in Magnum PI. It was used in many episodes.

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

Well, this didn't take me long

I was pretty sure they did use an 83. I pulled season 4 and there it was.

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    #53 irondogmike, Jan 21, 2010
    the car was actually a 85 by the vin #'s but built in 84 to rush to the states for the show,look in wades site under the 1985 vin#57685 www.308qvregister.com

4. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It was a retractable roll up vinyl cover that was attached to the windshield header and the front of the targa-bar, kind of like the window shades they make for windows next to bab seats. I have seen a few GTS' with them installed. There was a 308gts for rent in Waikiki in the early 90's that had one. Magnum uses it in multiple episodes the first season.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I hate to have to disagree with you on this one but TM never rolled back a fabric top on TV.

At least tell me where he did it in the first season so I can go see for myself.

6. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It will be a while before I get a chance to review the old episodes but will report back when I do.

7. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #57 spiderseeker, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Publicity shot, might or might not be one of the TV cars, but has a better chance than most.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The latest model that was use for the series was a 1984 QV and the photo above seems correct.

10. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tommy,
    Please give me the episode name in season 4 with an 83 QV. I have to see this for myself.

You are telling me you saw a 308 with the QV front hood vent AND a black A-pillar?

11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #61 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jan 21, 2010
    Yep. Like you, I know 308's upside down and inside out also so no mistaking it on my end. Believe me.

Anyway, Season 4 would be Fall 83/Spring 84. If you pull your DVD set, you don't even have to go to an episode. A black A-pillar QV clip is on the little menu video thing. The first episode is the one when TM is treading water for the whole show so skip it. The second episode is the Luther Gillis one and all you have to do is watch the intro scene clips. You'll see it there. Get ready to be shocked because I know how you are about to feel:

...a few years back - despite my expertise with this model :) I was SURE that the 2V NEVER EVER had a black intake manifold. For some reason I had it in my head that they were all silver. I would have bet my life on it. So after arguing with someone on here about it, I went and pulled a picture that I took myself back in June 1982 of a new 82 model's engine to prove I was right. There it was, black intake as the day is long. I couldn't believe it. I had been looking at those pictures for 25 years and never paid that close attention to it. Not even any of the cars I have been around during that same time did I ever pay any attention to that little detail. Evidentally 80 was the only year of that silver intake...

I felt like an idiot. I just SO knew I was right. No doubt about it in my mind at all. Just one of those things.

12. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Yet another little design tweak that sets the 80 apart from the similar 81 / 82's.

We could easily compile a list!

Cheers - DM

13. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    When did power door locks show up?

14. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Ha!

In 1981! My 1980 has manual locks.

And my 80 has a manual "California" outside rear view mirror. 81 was power.

And vertically stacked console gauges. 81 had these side-by-side.

And 14" wheels / tires. 81 was the start of the TRX era.

And a silver intake plenum, already mentioned. 81 was black.

And a rocker console switch for the rear window defogger. 81 was a pushy-button switch ( ... I think, might have this one wrong ...)

Let's see, now, there must be more ...

15. Red 328 GTS

Red 328 GTS Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    How long do you reckon it would take me to knock up a Ferrari letterhead validating my 1989 328 GTS was used in the 1987 episodes! LOL

Bob.

16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    a really large GTS instead of a GTSi on the fuse box cover maybe?

17. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Starting in '81 IIRC, the outside door locks were sunken in..

18. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    Absolutely! My 1980 has the GTSi on the rear of the car but on GTS on the interior fuse cover panel.

Rick

19. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tommy,
    You are 100% correct. I don't know how I ever missed that, except that I think I skipped the Luther Gillis episodes when wastching the DVD's, because they irratated me as a kid. I'll have to go back to season 3 and 4 and see how many times it appears. I can't imagine it is too many. I have an 83, so I'm quite happy to see one show up.

Thanks for giving me the exact clip/episode to look at.

BTW, I still maintain that the Nelson's Garage ad is a bit off. It claims the 83 was used in the last 2 seasons, and it shows a euro at the center top.

Apparently I'm not the only misinformed one. Here is a quote from an earlier poster: "There were three different 308 GTS's used during the show's run. For the first season, it was a 1978 308 GTS (one mirror, no rear spoiler, no front hood vent, red vents behind the headlights). For the second, third and most of the fourth season, it was a 1980 308 GTSi (two rectangular mirrors, spoiler above the rear window, black front hood vent, black vents behind the headlights). For the rest of the series' run, it was a 1984 308 GTSi Quattrovalvole (looked just like the '80 except it had a red windshield frame instead of the black one)."

20. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    And likewise, my 1980 GTBi has just a GTB badge on the fuse cover.

And as mentioned earlier, a non-console headliner.

What about the speedometer? 1980 speedometer is only 80/85 mph. When did it revert to 160 or 180 mph?

There is also a year that they lengthened or shortened the gearshift lever; anyone know when?

21. chris_columbia

Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Went back and did some dvd viewing. No QV in 3rd season. But 4th season is all 83 308QV. In the 5th season, the 83 was used for the first few episodes, before the A-pillar becomes red and wheels used are 16". The change over is so late in 1984(oct/nov), that an 85 could have been used.

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll have to check a couple of those '84 episodes out.

During magnum's run, I watched 1/2 hour of one episode, vaguely remember the 308.

My first memorable exposure to the 308 model was in seeing one owned by a client of the architectural firm I was with in '83, sounded and looked good but I have no idea if it was a 2V or 4V model.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Guy at a gas station saw my 328 and hollered, "Hey, that's Magnum's car." I'm bummed now to find out he was lying - thought I had a real collector's item.

;)

24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I am doing this from memory, but I think the episode was "Don't eat the Snow in Hawaii."

The scene is in the opening credits and it is clearly a solid top--not a roll back. In fact, you can see the moulding of the top, with its concave features--to lighten it. A roll back top would not be solid--would be fabric and would no thave concave features.

WHile I do not dispute the roll back tops exist, I can tell you that the opening sequence, where he is on the grass and fishtails the car before hitting the pavement--in that scene, it throws back a targa top and a stage hand catches it off camera.

Look at the 0:15 mark and there is no roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CquMO3vJvo

25. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You are totally correct about that scene, it is notone of the ones I am thinking about. I really do believe that there are other scenes in that first season with the roll back top, I believe one was a downtown scene, but my memory might be totally off.