Anybody Want to Win a new F430? | FerrariChat

Anybody Want to Win a new F430?

Discussion in 'Florida' started by mpatrizio, Jan 2, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    Apparently this group calling itself the "Robin Hood Rally" has hooked up with NBC for a reality show. Grand prize is a new F430, second prize is a 911 turbo. Seems like they figured out a fair way to equate the "race what you brung" concept.

I've got no affiliation to these guys, I thought you all would like the idea.

Here are the details and a link:

http://www.robinhoodrally.com/

2. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    a deposit and fee to enter?? Skeptics unite.......

3. SorpassoRosso

SorpassoRosso Karting

Jun 5, 2008
    Mmm, Robin Hood. The name sounds so familiar. Oh, yes, yes. He was an entrepreneur with who "took" from the rich and fed the poor.

4. Willybeen

Willybeen Karting

Aug 18, 2009
    Vero/Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    William
    interesting concept... wonder how "skillfull" the drivers will be?

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I fly lo 2 erf...
    :D
    BT

6. TheCarcierge

TheCarcierge Formula 3

Feb 1, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott Saidel
    sign up with a volkswagen golf or mazda miata - if they do the weighting right, you should win every time even if you can only run 9/10s

7. lussuria

lussuria Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2007
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Heather Gambini
    someone sponsor me and im in!! :)

8. mpatrizio

mpatrizio Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2004
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Mike P.
    I'd say a Mini or an Elise might do well also....

9. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Uh-huh...who pays the taxes on these things? Robin Hood certainly would have objected to that requirement.

RMX

10. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yeah, smells like BS to me too.

11. Uomo360F1

Uomo360F1 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2007
    #11 Uomo360F1, Jan 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    Yes, it smells. They've posted the same on almost every high end car forum.
    Called NBC and they know nothing about this.
    Also Googled "Robin Hood rally scam" and found many similar answers.
    BEWARE

12. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Here is his most recent email. I'm putting it in the quote tag so people don't think it is from me:

13. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The username for the event website was shared as:
    username: Robinhood
    pw: Rally1

14. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The most recent solicitation doesn't mention NBC anymore. I found it concerning that it was promoted as something that was going to air on NBC when that was not the case. I saw a piece on the local NBC news affiliate (Hartford) that mentioned this event and reported that the organizers now claim it may or may not be filmed for an infomercial?? for what I don't know

15. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Has anyone tryed contacting them?

16. coulthard fan

coulthard fan Rookie

Feb 5, 2008
    Washington DC Metro
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tifosi,

The guy organizing this - Stephan Condodemetraky - is pretty well known here on the East Coast for his affiliation with Lime Rock and Skip Barber. I spoke to him on Friday at length about the event and I was satisfied that it is coming together. The way I look at it is that this is an opportunity to do the time trials that I regularly compete in anyway in a unique environment... on closed off public roads, instead of the usual Summit Point, Watkins Glen, VIR, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to traditional road courses and they are surely safer to race on, but this Rally appeals to me for the same reason the Newfoundland Rally is appealing, it looks like more fun than a barrel full of monkeys on crystal meth. Come on, admit it: there is a highway onramp near you where you have said to yourself "I wonder how fast I could take this if I mounted my Hoosiers?"

With respect to the cost, again in my view there are always entry fees for amateur races and DE's, and this is no different. Some people are taking the view that because it is being pitched as a reality show or whatever, and they should actually be paid to "appear" on the show. Instead, I'm looking at it as a fun event that may also result in some relatively low cost publicity for my business. I am also aware of the $ costs and huge expenditure of time that the organizers must be incurring to put this on, and I doubt anyone else could put on a similar event for less.

Scott
    http://www.tax-whistleblower.com/racing/

17. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    One of the roads they propose using is the Taconic State Parkway. This is a major busy road in the area. Seems like that would require major help from the local and state authorities to close it for at least an hour each day for two day consecutive days-outlined in the rally rules. I guess it is just an example of what the roads might be like.

I wonder about the finances:
    100 participants x $5000 entry fee = 500K
    Minus $250K for Ferrari
    Minus $100K for Porsche Turbo
    Minus $50K for Corvette Z51
    = 100K left over to run the whole deal. But maybe there is sponsorship money etc.

But the people involved seem to be reputable.

18. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    How do you go from a Corvette at 3rd place to a pair of steak knives at 4th place. Is it so the 4th place winner can shank the winners and get all three?:eek:

19. FLY YELLOW

FLY YELLOW Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2008
    Boca Raton,FL
    Full Name:
    John Vag....

Good One!!!............A Kia for 4th place would make more sense. No?

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    email from Skip Barber Racing:

ALERT: Robin Hood Rally

You may have heard about a "Robin Hood Rally" through email, internet forums or because you recently received a post card or two in the mail soliciting participants for a reality TV show apparently being offered to various channels for airing this fall.

It has come to our attention that the operators of Robin Hood Rally may have obtained unauthorized access to a Skip Barber Racing School mailing list from a third party and have been using it in connection with these mailings. Robin Hood Rally was never provided with any mailing list by SBRS nor did SBRS authorize them to contact our customers in any way.

SKIP BARBER RACING SCHOOL IS NOT INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH ROBIN HOOD RALLY, nor do we endorse, promote or support this event, or any of its mailings.

Robin Hood Rally has been the subject of a story from the NBC affiliate here in Connecticut refuting the rally organizer's original claim that the reality show being produced would air this fall on NBC, see http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/station/as-seen-on/Reality___Robinhood_Rally_is_not_NBC_Production_Hartford.html

We apologize for any inconvenience and we are taking steps to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. For more information on Skip Barber Racing School's Privacy Policy, please visit http://www.skipbarber.com/company/privacy/

Jim Altemus
    Marketing Manager,
    Skip Barber Racing School

21. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Discussion on Rennlist on this subject:
    http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/543013-the-robin-hood-rally-3.html

New email from Stephan Condodemetraky, just sent minutes ago: