Hyosung motorcycles? | FerrariChat

Hyosung motorcycles?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by GrigioGuy, Jan 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Greetings,

When I was visiting I noticed the Hyosung bikes all over the place. They're almost unknown here in the States, but seem like a decent value. Does anyone have any experience with them? Decent, junk, or somewhere in between?

Thanks
    T

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    There *are* heaps aren't there.. no experience and never even read road test on them (skipped, slack me) but numbers here suggest must be hitting the right mark as bikers rarely put up with crap en-masse.

3. mondial32

mondial32 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2008
    In a hole
    Full Name:
    Mondi
    I had a GT250R and it was a great little bike. It was a tiny bit under powered, but comparable to the GPX250 I had - but in saying that I did own a lot bigger bikes at the same time(the newer ones have more power now I understand). The engines were R&Ded by the same mob that do Suzuki and I think they are made in the same place.

I would own one again for sure - but most likely the 650 version.

4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    There are plenty here in Mount Isa Tillman. :):)

Have a good mate (also workmate) that owns one. He bought a new 2009 650GTR for AU $8000! Cheap as chips! :D:D

He loves it!! Best value for money bike he has ever ridden he said. And this dude has owned a Suzuki GSX-R 600, a Yamaha R6 and CBR 1000 over the last 10 yrs. :):)

He sold the CBR 1000 2 yrs ago because his wife feared for his life. This dude weighs around 60kg. A skinny little runout ****er he is. :D:D

Anywho, 12 months later he got bored not having a bike so he bought a 'cheap' one. The Hyosung 650GTR. :):)

Ive seen it a few times. Looks the goods. He has ridden around 10,000km on it in 12 months or so. He rides it to work and back and rides it EVERYWHERE on days off. To do 10,000 km in 12 months around here is a huge feat. He cant stop riding it and reckons its a great bike. Not as quick as the GSX-R or the R6 he said, but its still very fast! He has done his own servicing on it because there is no Hyosung dealer or agent here in Mount Isa. So far the services have been basic oil changes. :):)

The quality is suprisingly good he said for a cheap bike. Nothing has gone wrong with it yet and everything seems solid. He has taken it to 240 km/h without any issues or shakes/rattles he reckons. :D:D

For the price, he said will buy another one when this one wears out. :p:p

5. serious groper

serious groper Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Mr Groper
    In the early releases, despite a few happy owners i heard a LOT of horror stories. Yes they are made in the same plant as Suzuki but they aren't Suzuki.

Today, it seems like they have improved their product considerably as you don't hear to many people complaining about them (although they are still about).

So i'd say buying used would be Russian roulette. Buying new might give you a fairly reliable bike. Personally i'd stick with a well known Jap bike and give Hyo a couple more years to refine things further. Mind you i do close to 30,000km/yr on a motorbike so my concern is an engine lasting 100,000km as opposed to a guy who does 2,000km/yr and doesn't really need to concern themselves with maintenance to much.

Considering how well they have improved things over the past 3yrs i'd say give it 5yrs and Hyo might well be producing bikes to take on the Jap supersports. Hyundai did exactly the same thing and produce good quality cars (with long warranty) vs their initial Excel!

6. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Why do you think they still supply the long warranty? :eek::eek:

(Cause their cars are still sh*t)

7. serious groper

Apr 9, 2009
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Mr Groper
    In that case Ford and Holden could take a leaf out of that book as their locally produced cars are pieces of sht aswell.

8. mondial32

mondial32 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2008
    In a hole
    Full Name:
    Mondi
    There is always going to be someone who will complain about anything no matter how good or bad, if you know what I mean. ;)

Also agree about the second hand thing. I don't think I would risk buying one S/H. But anyhoo, the price of a new one is pretty damn good.

9. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    wtf??

good effort!

10. Looney

Looney F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    Gold Coast
    Full Name:
    BB
    I had a 6 year hiatus from riding, so to get my confidence back up i purchased a used GT250R.

cost me $4k with 3000k's on it. i rode it for 2 months and racked up some 3,000k's on it to get my skills back and flogged it off for $5k.

had no real issues with it, other than the fact it would indicate it was in neutral when it was in gear. imagine my surprise when i started it up and it rode away from me (i wasnt on it).

if you want a cheap bike just to get a little bit of seat time for some experience, id say its a far better option than a 15yo CBR250RR, or a crappyZZR250.

i even had the thing to exactly 161kph (100mph) which for a big heavy 250 is pretty good (under controlled conditions of course :D )

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    That they are my friend. :D:D

Talked to my mate yesterday afternoon who purchased a new FPV Pursuit ute a few months ago. A/c stopped working yesterday morning (among plenty of other issues he's had) so he drove it straight down to HSV to trade it in for a Maloo ute, but they only had auto ute's there. He wants manual naturally, so today he was going to see Toyota to trade it on a new TRD Hilux. :D:D

12. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Toyota have stopped making TuRDs, well they still make plenty of average, if reliable, cars; but they no longer make TuRD badged cars. :D

13. mondial32

mondial32 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2008
    In a hole
    Full Name:
    Mondi
    Just one thing I have noted, all the new 2010 models are now coming out with EFI.

May pay to keep an eye on that for a while to see how reliable it is. I remember a few models came out mid last year with EFI and it was ****. Apparently the new models have a completely new EFI setup.
    Before that they were all Carbie.

14. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Very good. :D:D

I dont know how he went tracking one down. :):)

Why did that stop making them?? WOTAM trying to 'develop' them to sell? :):)

15. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Would you buy a car badged TuRD?

16. serious groper

Apr 9, 2009
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Mr Groper
    My daily round trip commute to work is 50kms so 250kms/wk or 13,000kms/yr. The rest is all 'fun' which is generally 400km day rides :) When we build a new house this year my commute will double so i'll be looking at about 40,000 - 45,000km/yr on a bike LOL.

The CBR1000 has become the daily rider now. It will easily do 100,000km before the engine will need to be refreshed (around the same money as a cars timing belt service). Gearbox will go over 200,000kms if it's not beaten on.

The key is frequent use. Lots of older 90's bikes with low kms have had engine rebuilds and problems because they rarely get ridden. As an additional factor maintenance is often overlooked.

17. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    cars and bikes share that problem.

18. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    the people that drive them are sh!tty drivers

19. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    *groan* :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Thanks guys.

21. Epik

Epik Rookie

Apr 9, 2008
    #21 Epik, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been hearing good things about them lately. The 2010 U.S. models are fuel injected now. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 isn't yet.

I would say if you have a dealer near you, go for it. Because they don't have a huge dealer network yet.

Good looking bikes, for sure.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    Korean [South] i think, most likely Japper hand me down tech.

Very interested in this, or just vaporware?

VIGO: Fully Electric Motorcycle made in Britain

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  24. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name: