Hood Seal Help | FerrariChat

Hood Seal Help

Discussion in '308/328' started by schu, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schu

schu Rookie

Aug 25, 2009
    Leawood, KS
    Full Name:
    Mike Fickel
    I replaced the two foam hood seals on my 1979 308 GTB that had completely disintegrated with two new seals from a dealer which also immediately disintegrated. I have a source to make non-disintegrating seals but I need the dimensions. The seal at the radiator appears to have been approximately 1" x 2" and the other seal appears to be an angular shape approximately 1" on two sides. Can anyone help? I would also be interested in another source for the non-disintegrating type.

2. CaptOharry

CaptOharry Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2009
    Green Cove Spgs FL
    Full Name:
    Harry Welch
    I've gotten mine from t rutlands,just the standard foam type,I have 'nt heard of them to go bad any time soon,But it is a inexpensive item to replace when and if they do.

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I used Armorflex, a tradename in HVAC equipment linings, you see it on big chillers.
    Places like Johnstone Supply stock small sheets of it...it comes in 4' x 100' rolls for pipelines too! (10,000+ 308 hoods per each roll)

It's closed cell foam with a skin.

On the older 308s it's two straight strips, the later QVs and 328s angle the rear one to follow the tire surround..

Anyone got pics?

I used a 1" thick material and as you say cut it 1.5" wide or so, it molded perfectly the the top of the radiator, which incidentally also has SIDE and bottom strips of the original open cell foam.....

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's a trapazodial shaped "corner block' piece, on each side of the upper rad, but that's putting a pretty fine edge to it.......:D :D :D

6. schu

schu Rookie

Aug 25, 2009
    Leawood, KS
    Full Name:
    Mike Fickel
    #6 schu, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #7 robertgarven, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can get new pieces from most Ferrari places, or source them out yourself. I have a GT4 and took mine off as I repainted my hood and did not want to mess it up. I have not noticed any cooling, however depending on the model you may have some. On most cars this has rotted away unless replaced every so often.

Notice the 410 assembly number on hood........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Please fill in your profile...

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and a 2" x 2" piece of foam (usually in the A/C section). Use some 3M spray adhesive and you're done.

9. schu

schu Rookie

Aug 25, 2009
    Leawood, KS
    Full Name:
    Mike Fickel
    I will refinish the hood before I replace the foam seals. Does robertgarven or anyone else know of a paint that will provide the correct black satin finish? I have used Kylon black satin 5163 for small parts; it looks good but I do not know if it will hold up and it is difficult to get an even finish on a large flat surface with the rattle can. I would like to find a single stage acrylic urethane, if possible.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You shake two of them and spray with both hands....

You can lay it in pretty well that way, if you get inside out of the wind.....

11. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    3M has some rattle can Flat Black,, better then KRYLON.

Edwardo