Spring Skiing in Utah | FerrariChat

Spring Skiing in Utah

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by skipgt4, Jan 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I am looking at going skiing over Spring Break (March 20 to 28) with one of my kids. What is Spring Skiing like in Utah. Which of the resorts would have the best snow at that time of year? Am I going to have the problem, like at Steamboat in Colorado, where the snow any where need the base is a combination of wet cement and running water? Thanks for the help.

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Get ready for the worst answer ever. It depends. I've been snowboarding in December in slush and in June with fresh powder. You should be fine if you pick the right resorts. Maybe others are better informed but I would go with a place like Park City, Brighton, or Alta.

3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    In general you should be ok with those weeks in CO or Utah. But it's the weather so nothing is a sure thing. Ski the top and be prepared to slog through slush at the bottom 1/3 and you'll pretty much always have good conditions on that week.

Snowbird/Alta is great but fairly tough. You'll have good snow on the top. Deer Valley will pamper you but it too could be sloppy on the bottom.

Good luck. It's skiing and there are no sure bets but CO and Utah are about as good as it gets (compared to other US areas) at that time.

4. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    It really varies year to year. I've skiied Powder Mountain and Snow Basin in the spring in slush some years, good snow in some years, and cement others. Your best bet is probably the Park City area. I've done the Canyons in spring and it's been ok.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    what kind of skier are you and do either of you board? That will limit your options and still conditions at the time will tell you where to go. I have had some of my most memorable powder days in spring when all I expected was cr@p. So be optimistic and hey if the snow is bad the beer is always good at the wasatch brew pub and if it is really wet flyfishing the provo river right out of sundance is always good for a big fish. Chris kunkel @ parkcity flyshop knows where the big ones are.

6. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    + a bunch....I will be missing my "mancation" and follow up "skiing w Mrs W" this year at Alta, but if you are not a snowboarder, not a "gotta go shopping" in the city centre type - you will fall in love w Alta - my recommendation is to say on the mountain at GMD.

Just remember it's wine and beer only...so be advised..I found one bottle of Appleton's fit perfectly in each boot....protected it as well!

7. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    The higher the altitude the better. So if your kid is a beginner, look for one that has beginner slopes at the top also. Keystone, CO for example has Schoolmarm, beginner run from top to bottom. And north facing, but I think they all are.

8. dragonshoe

dragonshoe Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Book yourself into a Park City hotel or condo. There will be plenty of snow then, there always is. If neither of you snowboards, you can check out Deer Valley and Alta, otherwise plenty of terrain at PC Mountain Resort and The Canyons, and you are right by main street for eating etc. Also have Gorgoza Park for lift served inner tubing here in town. Elevation is appporx 6800 to 7000 at the base, but even if it is warm and slushy there you can get up to 10,000 foot altitude at the top. I am happy to advise : )

9. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
  10. glasser1

glasser1 Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2006
    Oregon
    In general March can be great for powder in UT and CO, but the way the weather is playing out this year I would head to Whistler in March instead of Utah.

11. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Thank you all for the comments. I should have put a little more info in with the question I asked. We don’t Board and we don’t Shop, we ski lift open to lift closed. Without sounding immodest, we are very good skiers. I’m 50 been skiing since I was 10 my daughter is 18 been skiing since she was 5. If any of you end up skiing in Utah this winter let me know where you when and what the conditions where like. Thank you all again for the help.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Deer Valley is the best in my opinion if you are not a snowboarder. Lots of well groomed and challenging runs, snowboarding is prohibited. We went spring break 2008 and it was awesome with an average of about 4" of fresh powder each night. If you want to rent a condo let me know. My dad has an accommodations business there.
    :)
    BT

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Then if you are not a Utah regular you gotta go for terrain first and if you burn out of that then go for snow quality. You can have some great late season power though it is a bit wetter and heavier. It is just more luck. I'd ski snowbird especially the chutes you can see off to your right as you go up the tram upper cirque and great scott. I'd ski at alta and hunt for the best terrain and conditions. Alta is faced funny and you can have good snow in one area of the mountain and crap in another area of the mountain...so search. Forget deer valley unless your legs are beat after the 3rd day of skiing and you want to run groomers. DV can be good off of bald mt. only if there is good fresh snow you could get some decent bumps developing there but mostly its groomerville. Don't forget about solitude which is a little mountain but they got some nice varied terrain especially honeycomb canyon and headwall forest. You can ski out these mountains easily 1 day each mountain. I'd ski them Snowbird, Alta, Solitude and then somewhere else or back to Alta which is a personal favorite for me. I get burned out pretty quick on these mountains...good thing there are lots of them to try. They also run an intermountain trek in the back country which is cool to do once. Lots of traversing but the seanery is awesome and you ski between mountains snowbird etc...
    http://www.skiutah.com/winter/adventures/interconnect/index.html

14. desotodave

desotodave Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Alpine, UT
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Could not have said it any better. Good advice, if you do get bored after 3 days head to Park City, The Canyons, or Snow Basin. Deer Valley will most likely be too groomed and vanilla for you.

15. dragonshoe

dragonshoe Karting

Mar 28, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Deer Valley has been ranked the #1 ski resort in North America for 3 years in a row, and has been in the top 3 every year for the last 9 years. Given the marginal snow we have so far been experiencing, you may want to keep it on your short list. The fact that snowboarders are banned, and the price and reputation scare off a lot of good skiers, means more tree skiing/powder for those of us in the know. The Sultan Chair is a high speed quad that offers up a 1400 foot vertical drop, more than enough to tear your legs off if you want to take some laps. Steeps? Google images of Challenger Chute, or the Daly Bowls. Mostly go for the aspen glades, they hold their powder for days after storms because tourists stay on the groomers. It is unique in Utah that it has privately owned 3rd party food and beverage on the slopes, IE Stein Eriksen Lodge, the St Regis, Goldener Hirsch, and many more ski in/out places to dine and drink. That is in addition to the lodges that have won the rankings. When you go to any of the other resorts, expect a cheeseburger on a plastic cafeteria tray.
    Nonetheless, I would recommend you stay in the PC area and sample what all the resorts have to offer, including Snowbird, Alta, Solitude, Brighton, and even Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. They are all about 1 hours drive from Park City.
    Everyones opinion will vary, just giving you mine as a PC local for over 20 years. Also, I moved to Utah from Ontario when I was young, and know all about cold eastern skiing.

16. stacy clerke

stacy clerke Rookie

Jan 15, 2010
    Well yes, it depends largely on the weather every year. So I think it would be better if you ask a travel agent and then do your bookings. As they might have a faint idea of the weather. Good luck and enjoy your holidays.
    ---------------------------
    Luxury Ski Chalets

17. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2007
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Greg
    the whole state needs some serious snow fall QUICK!

Park city is a great place to ski, but if the conditions are warm you need to head to snowbird or Alta.

Cheers,
    GREG

18. CLamboSHI

CLamboSHI Karting

Mar 25, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Craig
    You would probably be most satisfied with Alta and Snowbird. They are the resorts I prefer.

19. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Snows looking much better now after this week, really poor conditions the three weeks I've spent up there so far(Deer Valley). Given the prediction of an El Nino year-which finally seems to be-late season might be really awesome. The timeframe you gave should be good I'd think, it's not until April it can start to really get slushed up. Last two years at that time were good, last year 2nd week in April everything had turned to slush. Go to Park city area if want good skiing along with restuarants, shopping, etc., go to Alta, Snowbird, Brighton if looking for great skiing only, they get more snow.

One more vote for the flyfishing as well, I go all year round on the Middle Provo River mostly. Shouldn't be too ridiculously cold at that time but you never know.

Jeff

20. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
    Snowbird has gotten 25" in the last 48 hours with a forecast of snow for the next 7 days! This season is just starting :)

21. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    The best snow and the best mountains are in little cottonwood canyon, ie alta and snowbird...brighton and solitude are also hidden gems..these resorts will have the best snow and skiing...park city is very touristy and I have never like the snow or the mountain layout there....end of march most years has great skiing..very unlikey to get slush them...i have skied end of april and gotten fresh powder and have gotten powder very often...if its warm, the snow at the top half of the mountain is still great...plus, you have the biggest base of the season and smallest crowds...

22. wmcot

wmcot Rookie

Jan 26, 2008
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Anyone coming to the Ferrari Challenge (April 9-11) should have some fresh snow for this week. It is snowing at the resorts today and will continue until at least tomorrow (Tuesday, the 6th.) It won't be warm enough at the resorts to melt off by the weekend but it shouldn't be too cold either.

The tough choice will be spring skiing or Ferrari Challenge? Hmm...

23. Latsyrc

Latsyrc F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2008
    Utah, USA
    Full Name:
    Travis
    We've gotten about 6 inches so far in Ogden in the last 4 or so hours.