Engine bay looking faded | FerrariChat

Engine bay looking faded

Discussion in '360/430' started by wayne mello, Jan 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    Sooo....has anyone taken the side panels and the firewall panel off and had them powercoated or painted?....mine are looking really faded....i'm afraid i'm i'm going to open a whole can of worms here.....i notice the side rails have water rails that are made out of rubber.....i'm wondering if i can remove everything easily and have it all powercoated....i know i'll lose all my factory stickers

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

you could replace with carbon fibre

3. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    yea for around $3000 maybe more for the entire compartment....i'm not big on carbon fiber anyways

4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

me either........just an option

I used WD-40 to clean mine

5. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Use Turtle Wax F21. It'll bring it back to looking new.

6. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I painted mine and cleared them. Tomorrow when the sun comes up and I clean it up I'll get some pics up. They came out real nice. Been meaning to update the thread I created on the whole tired 360 refresh. Been having too much fun driving the car since getting it back together.

7. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    ok...please post some photos.....we it easy to take apart the side panels?....i've used ArmorAll in the past....it works fine....but when i was the car the water seeps thru the cooling vents on the rear hatch and messes up the shine.....i'm slowing freshing up the car.....i redid my radio panel buttons with http://www.stickynomore.com/ they look great....i had my seats redyed...they look great....just doing small things to bring the car back to life

8. moorfan

moorfan Formula Junior

May 11, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm going to be doing the same in a few months. My panels look like ****e.
    high heat paint and primer ready to roll. Maury, did you use high heat clear?
    Pete

9. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Yep, used a high heat clear; so far since mid December it's had 1500+ miles of heat and still looks perfect. Not quite stock, but keeps that slick wet look all the time. I cleared right over the emissions and ID stickers on the driver’s rear panel. Looks great and keeps them from peeling up at the edges.

As far as removing them, simple as pie; just remove the Allen screws and they slide out. The only tricky ones are the ones in the top panel buffers (if your car is a spider) as you have to partially open and close the top to get to each screw (there are two in each buffer). I also replaced all the screws as they had some rust spots in the tips and they are cheap from Ricambi.

And Wayne, I had Robbie do some of my interior parts as well; they looked great. :)

Pics tomorrow if I can get back from the hospital in time before the Saints play.

10. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    i should just be able to have everything powercoated correct?....i know i'm going to have to do the airboxes and watertank also.......

11. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Sure, if you don't care about losing the ID and emissions stickers on the panel. Those would have to come off to apply powder coating and to bake it. I also re-sprayed the air boxes and balance box.

12. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    With the amount of heat in the eng. I think you are better off with ceramic coating than powder coating. That was what I found out when I was trying to powder coat my exhaust tips on my MB.

13. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

#13 Oengus, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    With WD-40
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    WD-40 smells and burns off....we use it on our gokarts....it attrachs dust and burns off our exhausts pretty quickly

15. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    +1...wd-40... once a week, sprayed on a micro fiber cloth and a 3 min. wipe down will keep it looking like new

16. Vasileios

Vasileios Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    I agree. WD-40 works very well. I have been doing this with all my engines.

17. wayne mello

wayne mello Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    okay...i'll give it a try....doesn't it burn off when the engine heats up?

18. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

no, rub it like wax, dont use toooo much

then buff with a microfibre towel

19. Vasileios

Vasileios Karting

Dec 5, 2009
    Do as "Oengus" says. You will be fine.

20. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008