flat plane crank sound for BMW X5M?? | FerrariChat

flat plane crank sound for BMW X5M??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by life@8500, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do you want someone to tell you it sounds cool?

It's just another BMW. BFD.

3. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    Brian i was hoping you would reply but perhaps be a bit more helpful. something about me irks you????

don't need anyone to tell me it's cool i know what i like.

"just another bmw"? ouch!

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    +1

Just another over engineered BMW powerplant nothing to see here or to talk about.

5. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    LMAO!

I couldn't have said it better. ;)

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you like it, great. Why do you need my or anyone elses approval to think that way? There is nothing wrong with BMW but there is nothing special either. I happen to consider them very over rated and ugly, at least since the old 7 series was around. You are entitled to any opinion you hold. If you are looking for a BMW love fest a BMW forum would be a far better place.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have some Volkwagen questions. Wondering if the pro's could weigh in here? Wait a minute, where in the hell am I?

8. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    well....the question was, i thought, a simple one. "has bmw simulated flat plane crank sound in the "reverse flow" X5M twin scroll turbo motor?" i didn't come here asking if it was cool, if it was a good buy, if it's underengineered,engineeered or overengineered.

i respect the knowledge that exists here more than any other forum i frequent and that's why i posted here. (an engine is an engine right)? i'm fairly certain no one on the x5 forum would know.... came here as ferrari has basically a lock on v8 flat plane crank exhaust sound felt this may pique the interest of you guys.......guess i was wrong. I apologize for posting and let's just let this die now.......

9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #9 Steve Magnusson, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    They haven't "simulated" it -- they've made a configuration that has the same characteristic ("an exhaust gas pulse at every 90 degrees of crank rotation" -- i.e., the exhaust pulses arrive in the collection area at equal time intervals) so it sounds the same as the flat plane crank F V8s. A flat plane crank isn't the only way to achieve this acoustic characteristic (a flat crank in a 90 deg V8 block is just one way to achieve this) -- the 12-cyl F don't have a flat crank, yet they also sound as sweet (even better ;)) because they have this same equally spaced exhaust pulse characteristic, and you can get the same sound out of a non-flat plane crank V8 by rerouting the individual exhaust tubes -- i.e., by not having the 4 tubes in each collector coming from the same bank -- although this requires that some of the individual tubes are a bit longish in length when the exhaust ports are on the outside of the cyl head. By putting all of the exhaust stuff in the "V", you can see in the diagram how this greatly reduces the tube length needed to join exhaust flows from cylinders in different banks -- but very ballsy to put such a large, hot lump in the "V", which they dismiss with the "It is not a general concern" ;)

10. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    Steve, thanks so very much........

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    #11 CliffBeer, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    life@8500, here's a another way to achieve the same effect without having the incremental vibration problems of a flat plane crank - this method happens to be 40 years old and essentially the same thing that BMW is doing. Net, BMW's design here is nothing new/novel.....

ps. I think BMW puts out a great product - have owned several over the years and they have been fast, well built, reliable, easy on the eyes, and consistent performers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Euromog

Euromog Karting

Apr 5, 2009
    Oakhurst, CA
    Full Name:
    John Wessels
  13. life@8500

life@8500 Karting

Feb 22, 2005
    Milford,CT
    Full Name:
    C Ryan Ramotar
    thanks Cliff I did see this whilst i was digging around the internet for info.

i have no loyalty to any marque whatsoever but the 3.0 csl is a damn fine machine....and right now the the e36 m3 (3.2) fills my need for an affordable effective track car...and as a side note it appears bmw has patented the manifold design for the s63 TT twin scroll motor.

x5m videos are starting to appear; were these available at the time i wouldn't have posted my original question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L72_wo04WMw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDCvs9YxXzk&feature=related

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Fords new 2011 6.7 turbo diesel took this approach to reduce turbo lag and has the intake ports where the exhaust manifolds used to be ala 60's ferrari grandprix cars.

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Remarkably small exhaust manifolds on that engine -- but I guess that's not a big deal with a turbocharger, and helps keep the exhaust gas speed up at low RPM as they desire.

I know that some applications really need the better low end torque of a diesel, but I've got to think that adding another consumable fluid (DEF) has got to impact the economics -- are (needless ;)) street diesels history?

16. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    The idle sound is similar but the BMW can't rev like the Ferrari.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19SLfBPKsH4

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- I knew there was a reason I liked you.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    #18 JCR, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Known back then a "bundle of snakes". For the front engined muscle cars they'd have the pipes cross under the oil pan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Exactly correct. The "M" version of the motor has the timed exhaust pulses, the regular one is not timed pulses.

Jay

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sounds like the hood will need to be painted a regular intervals, unless they are using special paint or really heavy insulation on the hood.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #21 Ak Jim, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
    I wonder how the EGTs compare on a disel and gas engine. I haven't seen a diesel that puts out very much heat when it goes much below - 10.