Brian Right Taz Wrong on Programming Fobs | FerrariChat

Brian Right Taz Wrong on Programming Fobs

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tazandjan, Jan 25, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #1 tazandjan, Jan 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Of course Brian Crall (Rifledriver) was correct and I was wrong on programming non-matching set black fobs into the Alarm ECU. To be expected since he has done dozens and I have done one.

One of our FChatters just tried to program his Alarm ECU using his original red fob and PIN to accept two non-matching black fobs he purchased. He used the instruction sheet I wrote after programming my ECU to accept a new matched set of alarm fobs. Did not work at all. He got all the correct indications including the LED speeding up after pushing the red fob's button, but the ECU would not accept the two new black fobs.

So here is a modified set of instructions that spells out very clearly the fact that the only way to get the ECU to accept new fobs is to A: Buy a new set of three fobs with new PIN from FNA, or B: Clone an existing fob. A couple of illustrations added, as well. Also added a sentence to the effect that when the immobilizer is armed, the engine will turn over, but will not start. At least it works that way on my 575M.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What????

You doubted me?????

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Old rocket scientist creed, repeated here. Get data, analyze data, formulate answer. No data = No clue.

You have way more data than I do, therefore are likely to be right way more than I am. I have limited data, and therefore have only a partially filled clue bag. Therefore you, Dave, Steve, Tim, and Eddie are likely to frequently get a good laugh at me as I attempt to puzzle out this crap.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

4. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Good to know!
    I would enjoy to dump the content of remotes from a same set. Knowing why they are matched, what is common in there, it may be possible to recreate another matched remote from a single one ... better than a clone.
    A volunteer to send me his complete set ??? ....... :)

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- I have an alternative. I have a full set of 3 matched originals and a full set of spares, 1 red, 2 blacks, not matched. How about I send you one pair at a time, an original and a spare. You clone the spares one at a time, send me back the originals, keep the clones, and eventually you have a complete matched clone set, with PIN, with which to play. You can send the set of clones back to me when you are done with them, or clone yourself a set. Costs a bit more in postage, but keeps me operational, with a spare, the whole time you are playing.

I just put new Duracell batteries in all three of my spares today.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Maybe a dumb question. If you replace the battery in a fob, do you have to reacquaint the fob with the ecu/car? Or will it just work as it always has?

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- They work just fine, just like changing the batteries in your TV remote does not affect the programming. I have replaced the batteries in two of my working fobs, and both are still working.

Since Ferrari recommends changing them every 6 months (they are 12V alkaline, not lithium watch batteries like most current remotes), I bet yours are overdue. When I first received my car, the black fob that came with it would not even open or lock the doors or activate the alarm and immobilizer from outside. Luckily, it had enough juice to deactivate the immobilizer when inside the car. Changed the battery, and it worked like a charm.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks. Will do it ASAP.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    That's a very kind proposal Terry. Thanks.
    I don't really need your spares remotes, they are probably not usable on my car (US vs Euro), except if you want I clone them for you.
    But reading the content of your set of remotes, one at a time, would be nice. All I need, at first, is to be able to analyse the content of a set, with PIN, in order to (try to) understand why they are matched, and may be where is stored the PIN. If I have some positive results I will play with my own remotes to validate the process.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Eric- Send me a PM with mailing address and I will send you the originals one at a time with a spare and you can clone the spares for me and pull what you need from the originals. Only the red fob will contain the PIN, but there has to be something common in all three fobs for the ECU to accept them. A common digit or two in the IDs, perhaps.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Was there ever a doubt :D

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004