Free photoshoots in San Diego/Riverside/etc | FerrariChat

Free photoshoots in San Diego/Riverside/etc

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 951s, Aug 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    I'm currently trying to develop my portfolio, so I thought I'd add some automotive photography to the mix by offering free photoshoots for car owners in Southern California. I live in Temecula but am willing to travel within reason (San Diego is no problem). This will only be for a short time until I have some samples to show so I don't mind losing some money as an investment. Here's what you get:

-Around 20 full resolution medium format high quality files
    -Your choice of locations
    -I can provide prints (I will only charge what it costs me to have them made)

I shoot with a Hasselblad medium format SLR which is 6x6 [square] format. The photos can obviously be cropped to your liking. I do not have any examples of automotive photography at the moment since I deleted all of my old work after buying the new equipment. Here are some rather old examples of my photography, though obviously not of the same style I'd use taking photos of your car:
    www.flickr.com/photos/streetwaves

As long as my travel is within reason you pay nothing and I guarantee around 20 super-high-quality medium format shots of your car. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Send me a PM!

2. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    nice camera. using film or digital back?

3. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    Thanks a lot. I'm using film, digital backs aren't (to me) worth the investment at the moment.

4. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    Rrobello, I got your PM but your inbox is full. I'd definitely be up for a shoot, just let me know what date works for you and think of a location or two.

5. rrobello

rrobello Formula 3

Jul 25, 2005
    cleared in box, sorry didnt notice and i was at work when u sent it. resend....dates would depend on time of shoot most likely. and Im up for suggestions of location.

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank god, another Medium format shooter!

7. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    I totally lost interest in digital after doing some medium format shooting. My DSLR is a very expensive paperweight. :(

8. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    #8 951s, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    I'm offering this once again for a short time to add to my portfolio. If you want a full photoshoot done for your car in San Diego or Riverside, I'll do it for free for the next couple of owners that ask.

I'm primarily an art photographer, but since I have a love of cars, I thought automotive photography would serve as a fun side-source of money. But before I can charge money, I need samples to show.

I use Hasselblad and Mamiya professional medium format camera systems and your shots will be provided to you in your choice of a range of formats. Send me a PM or post here if you're interested with:

-When you're available
    -What type of car
    -Where you are located

Thanks!

9. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    Sample shot:
    [​IMG]

10. bigwave92107

bigwave92107 Karting

Oct 6, 2009
  11. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
  12. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    #12 951s, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. fastautos

fastautos Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Phillips
    No offense, but those aren't great. They look like they were just taken with a point and shoot.

14. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    #14 951s, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
    Frankly, I didn't ask you. I haven't shot a car since at least 2006 and it'll take some practice to learn how to do it again, since my usual work is so much different. I'm not an automotive photographer, nor do I want to be. This will be an "every once in a while" thing.

I assume you were talking about the car photos I posted and not the photos on my flickr page? As for the point-and-shoot comment, I agree only about the last one. Being that you are a "professional automotive photographer", I understand you feel you have some authority on the subject, but if the situation were reversed I wouldn't be so rude.

15. LAgated360

LAgated360 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 2, 2008
    LA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Not a nice choice of words. You should choose them a bit more cautiously.

Best,
    Rick (LAgated360)

16. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Maybe they were referring to the choice of cars....

17. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    No no, he meant the photos themselves. That's alright, I typically do minimalist photography as is obvious from my flickr page (link above). For example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/streetwaves/3442885446/

I knew that I'd have a tough time at first getting back into a style that is more suitable for automotive work. But because I already know that I don't need his opinion.

18. fastautos

fastautos Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Phillips
    I don't know how that was "rude", but I'm sorry you took it that way.

I know you aren't asking for it, but here's a piece of advice. Practice on some other cars (yours or a buddies) before you approach people (especially Ferrari owners) about photographing their cars. If you have some decent photos in your portfolio then you will have a much better success rate. Plus, the owner of the car will probably like the photos better and will more likely pass your name to fellow owners.

There are plenty of very good photographers that post or browse the board, so just know that you are going to have to step up your game.

19. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #19 ylshih, Jan 27, 2010
    A couple of suggestions for both of you:

- Someone posting on a public forum, should expect criticism, it's part of the package and "I didn't ask for your opinion" really doesn't apply. Posting at all opened the door for comments.

- If a critique is given, it's usually more helpful if the comments are framed in a more constructive vein, as they might be in a photography class. "Background is distracting, try to eliminate the clutter; lighting is too flat, try and increase the dimensionality; composition is mostly typical, try some new POVs."

20. kwikfilms

kwikfilms Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
    A good place to practice on some cars would be cars and coffee in irvine every saturday... They have a good selection of exotics and classics.

21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    #21 TestShoot, Jan 27, 2010
    Wow, ok this is a major first for me, I agree with most of what Yin said. I am going to generalize here and be a little diplomatic.

There are about two dozen shooters in the SoCal area of the board that do cars. Not all are professional, not all are beginners, but the results are pretty good and the bar has been set. The starting off with offering your services for free, makes it seem like there is value in the proposition, which is not often the case with people trying something out for the first time.

I'll tell you that the BMW groups love to have people come out and take pictures to learn. I am part of that crowd as an owner though. I just don't do cars but I never push people away that want to tinker. Then again, my time is not that valuable, so I can blow an afternoon.

I posted a thread maybe two years ago telling the photographers that pop up around here all the time to cut it out and stop using people just to shoot their cars. I stated that if they can take great shots of a Dodge Neon, imagine what they can do with a Ferrari, but if they can't do that, the end result with a better subject is not going to make a bad photo good.

As for criticism, not everyone has the knowledge or vocabulary to fully explain what they don't like about an image. Maybe it has a lot to do with all the quality stuff they see on a regular basis and they just compare.

My critiques I made have been about the over-use of HDR, saturation, curves, etc. and the lack of actual in-camera talent. A polarizing filter goes a long way. Too often people just get on the ground and do a lugnut level shot, so people need to be a bit more creative.

Nobody starts out shooting supermodels, we all start out low and work our way up. A lot can be said for being humble and working in to something. I'm pulling for ya! :)

22. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    #22 951s, Jan 27, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for constructive criticism. After all, unless I'm thinking of somewhere else, I admitted that I haven't shot a car in quite some time. My usual work is much different than what works for auto photography, so I knew I'd have to get back into the swing of things, but I used to do this stuff quite a bit and it's not something that would take me long to re-learn.

With that said, I took his comment as rude because it wasn't particularly constructive. If he had posted a thread with links to shots he made attempting to do something like what I do, I wouldn't say "looks like they were taken with a point-and-shoot". That's not something a photographer likes to hear, as I'm sure he's aware.

Just an excuse for the last shoot: unfortunately the camera I had brought along for the job crapped out right in the beginning. I lost the few shots I had taken with it, and it was what I was prepared to use. I was lucky I had my Hasselblad with me to at least get some shots and not look like a complete ass, but the lens on it wasn't exactly suitable for the purpose.

23. kwikfilms

kwikfilms Rookie

Jan 21, 2010
  24. fastautos

fastautos Formula Junior

May 24, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Drew Phillips
    Just because it's something you didn't want to hear doesn't make it rude. I'm sorry, but me saying your photos are "not great" is not rude. I can point you to some automotive photography forums that will provide you with plenty of criticism if you want it, but you probably won't like what they will tell you. You might not like what I said about your photos, but your reaction to what I said is also pretty telling. Admittedly I was once like you - I got immediately got defensive when people criticized my photos. However, I learned fairly quickly that you can learn a LOT from criticism, and there's no use getting upset when someone doesn't like your photo. I've improved the most when I've listened to criticism. Granted, I wasn't exactly constructive with what I said, but you didn't ask me what I meant by my statement either. Would you say that that the photos you posted are good? If so, why? If not, why did you post them at all?

The reason I even said anything in the first place is because I feel the same way as TestShootCom - it irritates me when people come on here wanting to shoot Ferraris when they don't have any sort of portfolio or any experience shooting cars. Like he said, nobody starts out shooting supermodels. Why not start out shooting your own car or your friends cars to get practice? Or, like many photographers here have done, take photos at car shows and build relationships with owners.

I'm not trying to discourage any owners from taking you up on your offer, but realistically I'd rather see an owner pay a small fee for a good photoshoot of their car with someone who has been a photographer here on the board for a while. The owner would be more happy with the results, and the hard work of some someone here on the board would also pay off.

25. 951s

951s Rookie

Jul 19, 2009
    San Diego
    #25 951s, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    I don't get defensive if people criticize my photos in a constructive manner. You admitted that you weren't "exactly constructive". If this were a simple case of you offering constructive criticism, I wouldn't be annoyed. After all, you're the automotive photographer. Your criticism doesn't mean anything to me if it's not explained.

But admittedly there was a bit of confusion as to what photos you were referring to. Talking about the car photos is one thing, and I actually do accept the point-and-shoot comment somewhat regarding the very last shot. But I wasn't sure since I also included my flickr link at the top.

That's fine, perhaps you're right.

This is all fair. As someone who did automotive photography in the past (and I did it pretty decently), I unfortunately felt as if it'd be easy to jump back in, and I didn't think of what you're saying. But I'll admit, it's not been easy, partly because I haven't done it in a couple of years or more and partly because I sold my old equipment (the lenses I had for my 35mm DSLR setup were much more suitable). So, actually, I will take your advice here. I have no problem with what you're saying.