This might explain the exhaust leak - part deux | FerrariChat

This might explain the exhaust leak - part deux

Discussion in '308/328' started by sammyb, Jan 27, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    After removing and welding a massive crack in the rear header, I figured that the small hissing/ticking I was getting under acceleration in the GT4 was probably a crack in the front header. I had already shot some emails back and forth with Gerrit about the process of removing the front header a month or so ago, and decided today to at least get a feel for how hard it would be to get at the nuts.

Well how's this for a slight indication of why there might be an exhaust leak: the passenger side top bolt was spinning with my finger. I got out the shorty wrench and torqued it down. The next three top bolts: all missing!!! I'm guessing that while 50 percent is a Hall of Fame batting average, but for exhaust manifolds, that doesn't cut it.

I need to get one more bolt from the hardware store tonight, but we'll see how it all comes out tomorrow. I just hope that after tightening these four bolts that I don't find that there's still a leak from a crack back there, because getting at these bolts is a royal PITA!

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I found that removing the passenger side gas tank on a GT4 and the AC comp made it 10 times easier to deal with the front header. Other than that, it is a PITA>

3. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Yes, Gerrit mentioned that moving the gas tank and the coolant crossover tube out of the way is essential to R+R the front header. Hopefully, though, I won't have to remove it, because I'm really counting on that when I start the car tomorrow the leak will be gone.

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hope that works, it's not often we get cheap, easy victories with these cars!!

5. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Or any old car, for that matter!!!

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    +1. The ez fixes are that much sweeter because they're pretty rare.

One thing I've seen that's really painful on a Ferrari is a mis-diagnosis. Engines pulled etc for something that was simple - ouch!!