"You can't fix stupid" (Ron White) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

"You can't fix stupid" (Ron White)

Discussion in '308/328' started by PittsS2APilot, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    How about doing a hot leak down and leaving the hose screwed in the spark plug hole overnight ... doh!!!! ... the engine cooled down and grabbed the fitting so tight that the hose started spinning around the fitting (hose crimped onto fitting that screws into plug hole) ... gave me another reason to pull the head LOL!!! ... glad it wasn't the front bank.

cheers

2. RDS

RDS Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Elmwood Park, Il
    Waiting too long to buy one.

3. AndrewE

AndrewE Karting

Aug 29, 2008
    Sevenoaks, England
    Did that too, but some kind foreign visitors picked up and followed me til i stopped and handed it over. Wanted nothing for their trouble either :)

4. jrairplane

jrairplane Rookie

Aug 13, 2009
    The PO had broken the front valance all to pieces so I bough a replacement to refit. Removing the old one required drilling out one screw under the car. I drilled carefully as to not break the bit and suddenly water started coming out. I soon realized it was battery acid. I had drilled a small hole in my battery!. At least now I have a new battery.

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG

Some places list them as 710 caps too...

PDG

6. b27

b27 F1 World Champ

Oct 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Brett
    #56 b27, Jan 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I'd store my recently restored head lining on a plastic bag which had a nice soft doona in it. I now have Kent Removals embossed on it. Sufficed to say its back being re-done. :rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. furnacerepair

furnacerepair Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Martini
    My friends wife backed out of the garage one day and found she had no brakes. So she decided to go forward and put the car back in the garage at speed. Hit the wall and knocked my buddy of the couch he was sleeping on. He was on the other side of the wall.

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    when i first bought the 308, i had it parked in the semi downhill portion of my driveway. i wanted to move it forward a few feet so i got out and pushed it from teh passenger side. it started building too momentum and i could get in the car in time to hit the brakes. it was heading toward a rock wall, and would have yacked up the front fender. so i made the command decision to stand between the car and the wall and took the full hit of the car on my shin and really f&cked myself up doing so, but the car was undamaged. pinched my leg between teh fender and the sharp rock wall. if i had not stood in front of it, it would have busted up the fender quite good. instead it busted up my leg

9. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    When I was a poor college kid racing bicycles many years ago... we all had a belief that if you were going to wreck you should go down and take the damage on your back, hold the bike in the air... Why?

Skin heals - Campagnolo doesn't. (Same applies to Ferraris!)

Good job! Don't do it again....
    <grin>

Rick

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #60 Verell, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    Beautiful, but hot sunny summer day. Took the 308 to go to an appointment about 20 miles from home. About 3 miles from the appointment engine stalls in the middle of a busy intersection & refuses to start. Plenty of gas in the tank, battery is fine, spark is good, turns over fast, but won't run....

I pushed it thru the intersection & into a nearby parking lot. Spent 20 minuites trying to figure out what's wrong. Fuel pump isn't running. Cindy is NOT pleased, we're now 10 minuites late for the appointment... Finally checked the fuel pump fuse. Yup, it was bad. Replaced it, made appointment & took care of our business. (Yes, Birdman has been on my case about my still OEM fuseblocks ever since. ;^) )

On the way home Cindy was apologizing for getting so up tight & I was apologizing for not diagnosing the problem sooner. In mid apology we pulled into a toll booth. Suddenly there's white smoke boiling out of the boot louvers. Pulled over, That large aluminum coolant line that runs diagonally across the engine's belt end had come loose from the thermostat housing(yes, I had it off the night before & hadn't tightened the hose clamp)...

Cindy is now even less pleased...

State trooper comes by says I can't stay there & 'obviously I need a tow'. I convinced him to arrange for an emergency coolant delivery instead. He covered his bets tho, a long 15 minuites later it came via a AAA tow truck. By then I'd retightened the hose clamp. Added about a gallon of coolant, bled the radiator & thermostat, then we were on our way. Thank goodness the rest of the drive was uneventful.

Good thing Cindy still really likes the car.

And then there was the time shortly after I got my lift that I tried to run the lift arms up out of the way & didn't realize that my Rx7's door was open. Yup, lifted that side of the car by the door! Good thing Mazda makes the doors tough!!! Door was out of alignment by over an inch so wouldn't close! Judicious application of a door alignment tool realigned the door w/o any other problems appearing.

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dont laugh, I once after a service was filling the coolant and oil together spaced out and added about a quart of oil to the overflow tank, after flushing the coolant system several times the car ran great and I think the oil actually helped something!!! :) It has never overheated to this day, at least I didn't pour water in the engine!!!!!

I also cut the snap off my original owners pouch because it was broken and frayed. It took me TEN Years to find the correct snap at a leather shop that had inventory from the 70's.

I try to think about what I do now.

Oh i had my tool set re-plated and CLEARLY specified same as original, they came back like snap on tools, everyone laughed at me at the next concours. I finally found a completely new and correct tool and jack kit, put them in my original pouches and sold the chrome plated ones, they were so well done I am sure they still look good if not correct today. Back then I paid less than 200$ for a perfect tool roll, times have changed

12. gonzo350

gonzo350 Karting

Apr 3, 2004
    Lafayette Indiana
    Full Name:
    Myles
    After putting my distributor cap back on, couldn't figure out why the car was running so rich and rough? Messed with the mixture, called Larry Fletcher, couldn't figure it out! Rotors seem to be an important part of the ignition system and it helps when you re-install them! Also...just had to confess this one a few days ago...bought a brand new multimeter and couldn't get it to work...was about to return it when I discovered the "hold" button was depressed! Duh....